It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Bowl ratings are down, but 103 million people watched

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I put this in the politics section because this has a lot to do with the kneeling and politics during the season. I know because all of the veteran pages I follow on Facebook essentially spoke unanimously out against watching the game.

CNN

The number is down 7% from the 111.3 million that tuned in for last year's Super Bowl, which saw the Patriots come back to beat the Atlanta Falcons. And it makes the game the least-watched Super Bowl since 2009.

Although that is an incredibly high number, insanely high it's still a massive drop in viewership and I am pretty sure it has everything to do with the kneeling.

The league saw its viewership dip roughly 10% overall this season. And broadcast TV as a whole has seen its numbers shrink this year as well, with its ratings typically falling more than the NFL's have.

Pretty crazy considering how religiously people watch football.
edit on 5-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Did the study take into account that there were two East Coast teams playing and therefore nobody west of Cleveland gave two poops? (Except gamblers, of course.)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Some people today were measuring the enjoyment of the game not by the scoring but by how many people kneeled.

Here comes the xfl to save the day by giving us a new way to measure the nfl's actions.

We should go ahead and name the new scapegoat coming.

They will say see the nfl is not that bad just look at how bad xfl sucks.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with kneeling. Oh, but your Facebook groups say so, that seals the deal then! Lol, that's some grade-A confirmation bias if I've ever heard it.

Fact is many people are ditching cable and moving to streaming services, many of which don't count into the official numbers. That's why ratings were down, not the kneeling issue that fizzled out months ago. That fact is even corroborated by your last quote, saying broadcast TV viewership is even further down than NFL viewership overall. That's because people are cutting the cord on cable, not because players were kneeling during a national anthem.
edit on 2/5/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Did the study take into account that there were two East Coast teams playing and therefore nobody west of Cleveland gave two poops? (Except gamblers, of course.)

Supposedly the Eagles are the 10th most popular team in the NFL (Pats are #2) coast to coast while the Falcons are 24th best... if anything, this Super Bowl should have had wider interest than last year's did.
www.cbssports.com...
edit on 5-2-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

both are just opinions and neither can be proven

likely it is a bit of all factors but the people i spoke with today said nothing of facebook or streaming but rather said they were happy not much kneeling.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
We didn't watch this year.
We are Steeler fans and hoped to see a "Steagle" bowl.
Our viewing of games this year was down due to the kneeling and the rejection of the AMVETS ad.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Any reason to rid America of this stupid obsession is welcomed regardless the reason.

I'm hoping viewership is down because more people are spending time reading, learning & creating instead of concerning themselves with such useless endeavors as an overgrown child's game.

K~

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Although I don't always appreciate or enjoy the product, I can certainly tip my hat to entities that have good business sense. Take the "Elf of the Shelf," as an example. While I personally can't stand that creepy little creature, I can appreciate how they took a new "thing" and made it appear to be an "old timey thing" and I"m sure they are pulling in a respectable amount of money.

Now, to the Super Bowl. I haven't watched a single game this entire season but I do enjoy making ribs and wings on the BBQ. Although we weren't paying close attention, the game was on in the background. Although I don't care for the product that is the NFL (noting that I lost interest way before the kneeling controversy), we still had the game on. My point is that the NFL managed to essentially turn Superbowl Sunday into a holiday with it's own sets of traditions for millions of families.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The way they track viewers might be off. I watched it on Roku app with NBC sports. Did I even register?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It has nothing to do with kneeling. Oh, but your Facebook groups say so, that seals the deal then! Lol, that's some grade-A confirmation bias if I've ever heard it.

Fact is many people are ditching cable and moving to streaming services, many of which don't count into the official numbers. That's why ratings were down, not the kneeling issue that fizzled out months ago. That fact is even corroborated by your last quote, saying broadcast TV viewership is even further down than NFL viewership overall. That's because people are cutting the cord on cable, not because players were kneeling during a national anthem.

Nielsen has added streaming to its ratings, with the most recent addition being Hulu and YT, before the kneeling started.

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 5-2-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It was a damn good game. Looks like 8 million people missed out on one of the better ones. Plus Tom Brady lost so i think most of those who did view are happy.

Kneeling doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. Most rational people fans or otherwise enjoy coming together for the food and family time more than the game itself anyways.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I watched a lot of the second half and I haven't watched football in over ten years.

Family event.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I watched a lot of the second half and I haven't watched football in over ten years.

Family event.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

A lot of people stream the games on third party sites "illegally". It's 100% free and a lot of the times works better than the official stream. That's what I meant.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
It was a damn good game.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I watched the Superbowl at a packed VFW and didn't hear anyone mention kneeling once.

NASCAR ratings are down 45% since 2006.

amp.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Once read on a site much like this how uber homoerotic modern football is. Later the write ups about how it is carefully rigged for social engineering. Then started seeing all these concepts in all sports combined with it's all nothing more than multi billion dollar profits and scandals.
Thanks conspiracy people, Ruined it.
Yet....here I am.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Well I watched the tail end of it at least here in Oz and it seems to be a strange game by our football standards.
It got me how the last 5 minutes of the game can take about 1/2 hour to complete?
Perhaps someone more familiar with the code could explain.

Eagles did a good job being underdogs n all

edit on 6/2/2018 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JWill

Whenever you have billions of dollars involved there is going to be corruption and cheating and favoritism

Especially sports

In boxing I can tell you from personal experience that the promoters and matchmakers has favorites and the favorites usually get the fights they have a reasonable expectation of winning against

A good matchmaker can pick fights at least 80-90% of the time if he has coaches that he knows how their fighters fight

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join