It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow plunges more than 1,500 at one point - it's the memo.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Your premise that the memo caused the drop is stupid. The market was EXTREMELY over priced and was long overdue for a correction. The memo had NOTHING to do with it.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Your premise that the memo caused the drop is stupid. The market was EXTREMELY over priced and was long overdue for a correction. The memo had NOTHING to do with it.

Can you prove that?

And the 'stupid' was uncalled for unless you're afraid someone else's opinion other than yours might be valid.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Why do you think it's about the memo?

the memo provides the plausible deniability for TPTB

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: Jefferton

Well, it was Bushes fault for 8 years Obama was in office. Is it still Bushes fault, or when does it become Obamas fault?

LoL

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I have to admit something....
The timing is a little strange.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Honestly I was expecting the bull to run until after the Olympics. It is not just American exchanges suffering, International indexes are also falling. For now it may be best to park your money in cash/fixed instruments until everything bleeds out.

With oil dropping too, bullion likely will not move much. Honestly its all very wonky. Pretty much everybody who jumped into crypto after November that did not quickly sell at the end of December is feeling the hurt right now too.

Funny how quickly those crypto threads died off aint it?? And now even more countries talking banning while releasing their own national cryptos?

Played out EXACTLY as I said it would as far as those go.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't think it's the memo at all. Crypto currencies are getting annihilated right now. Lloyd's, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Capital One, Discover, and CitiGroup have all recently banned the purchase of crypto currencies with their credit cards (HERE).

And China & India have just made major moves against crypto in the last 24hours or so, with China blocking access to crypto exchanges worldwide and India banning crypto from its system. A lot of people may not realize this, but many newer startups have started issuing ICO's (Initial Coin offerings) instead of IPO's (Initial Public Offerings) in order to raise money. I have no clue how these moves will effect those companies, but it can't be good.

As an example, Bitcoin's price at the moment is down to the $6,000s as I type this (it's bounced from just over $6,000 to around $6,200 since I started reading the last page of this thread).

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

LOL Beat me to it. Yeah, I think it's more related to crypto than anything. The conspiracy theorist in me is seeing this cryptocurrency massacre as the new Fed Chairman's way of reminding people who's "boss" in the financial world. Kind of like "Independence from central banking? Not on my watch."
edit on 5-2-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
Hey I tried to warn folks. Unlike the industrial revolution era where Central Banks were slowly consolidating internationa markets, the Central Banks already rule the world. It does not take centuries to seize control of private digital notes the way it did for paper notes in the past. They just snap their fingers once they have conned enough people out of their money, and its done.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

One of my brothers & I concluded that that's what happens when crypto exchanges would mysteriously get "hacked" or their "leader" would run off with the money. In fact, we're both mostly convinced that a lot of the major coin miners & exchanges were govt-backed to begin with (though not necessarily the US govt).

When I was in the underground music biz, it was common for police to occasionally rough up people in the streets & take their contraband/cash/phones/"products" in exchange for not arresting them. We called it a "tax" and everyone just saw it as a cost of business.

Well that's how I see the crypto situation. Various govts allowed people to make money in their "underground" but would occasionally take a cut to keep the system going. People thought they were free, but that illusion of freedom was really just another way for govts to raise funds without passing new taxes. Kind of like the lottery. But once they'd had enough (either needed more money or were tired of the charade), the govts simply cash out then shut down the operation.

Since I'm a bleeding heart libtard, I don't like to see anyone suffer. So I'm hoping this situation doesn't happen the way I just described it. But the pragmatist and the conspiracy nut in me wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if it does.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Oh grow up. It's nothing to do with the memo, this is about inflationary pressures, the prospect of imminent rises in interest rates, the fact that the DOW was absurdly overpriced as it was and a host of other issues. It's global. The Nikkei just fell like a rock and the FTSE and European indices are expected to follow suit shortly.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

I see, when the market goes up its trumps influence. He gets all the credit.
When it goes down that's the dems fault.
Of course.
The memo is so under reported factually and so underwhelming in content when it was built up to be the vehicle to ending the entire Russia probe from every committee and special counsel. trump is already touting it as some vindication. Complete and total vindication to use his words. Even though it does not address any of the reasons for the special counsel or the other committees.
But I agree it is this whole investigation that's causing the crash. Corporations are seeing that the president is going down.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree. We've watched our portfolio grow and grow but always with an eye that it was artificially inflated stock prices. It was growing too fast. It's an adjudtment.
I feel sorry for folks who just entered the market with their life savings to ride the boon. They could really be hurting right now. I'm hurting but I can ride. I think it will correct up again.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

originally posted by: richapau

Can you prove that?

And the 'stupid' was uncalled for unless you're afraid someone else's opinion other than yours might be valid.

You have it backwards the claim is being made the memo caused a drop. As such proof of that is required. The sell-off started because of the Friday jobs report. On Friday, the Labor Department put out its monthly report on how many jobs were created in January in the United States and how fast wages are growing. Overall, it looked like good news. The economy added 200,000 jobs, and wages grew by 2.9 percent, the most since 2009. But Wall Street looks at things differently than most people do. When companies pay workers more, it usually means lower profits for shareholders. So this caused sell offs of course as they moved money to bonds.

As far as proof the jobs report caused it simple it was released 30 min later sell offs started.
edit on 2/6/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So the tax giveaway wasn’t enough. 2008 we blamed homeowners and poor people. This time, it’s the workers fault for getting a pay raise. It’s never the fault of the rich.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
I think it will correct up again.

It always does.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
here we are on a Tuesday after the 1175.24 DOW Loss yesterday... and After the 666 DOW loss on Friday alone...

the pre Market futures keep nudging at a -700 Loss @ today's open... well none of the talking heads are mouthing 'It's the Memo fault"... they are all saying this is normal & expected

no one is suggesting the HTF and computer trading platforms executing algorithms is the culprit... no one is connecting the dots which may reveal the TBTF Banks & the Feds secret Balance Sheet is the HFT/Algorithm fiend behind the 'correction'

no one is saying this 'correction' is really a retaliation against the Trump campaign to punish and purge the deep-state & Globalists who have been targeted by the Trump Administration..
no one is suggesting the Markets' decline will only cease when the DOW returns to the level it was at when Trump took the oath-of-office.... the idea of an orchestrated market decline that erases all of the Trump gains & sets him up as the Anti-Midas Touch guy

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If so, probably one of the best times to buy in would be right now?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I have to admit something....
The timing is a little strange.

All record breaking gains from 2017 on the market evaporates in a couple days of trading, mysteriously following the STOU and memo release. Curious timing.

Purely coincidental, obviously.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

All depends on your current holdings, age, liquidity, risk aversion and many other factors.

edit on 6-2-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join