It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An American spent decades exposing the ivory trade. He was just found dead in his home.

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

A sad day for elephants and an amazing man's wife: Esmond Martin was found stabbed to death in Kenya.

Washington Post Source Article

Esmond Martin, a U.S. investigator who spent years going undercover to expose the worldwide ivory trade from slaughter to marketplace, was found stabbed to death Sunday in his Nairobi home. Police in Kenya haven't made an arrest or named a suspect, according to the Associated Press. They said it appears that Martin, 75, was the victim of a botched robbery, but the investigation is continuing. Martin's wife, Chryssee Martin, became worried after Martin didn't respond to phone calls, and she went to check on him at their home in a suburb southwest of the city's business district. She found him in the afternoon, dead on the bed with a stab wound to the neck, authorities said.

He often posed as a buyer, haggling with vendors to try to ascertain market prices for ivory, rhino horns and the things made from them. He watched as Chinese mine workers in Africa purchased ivory chopsticks and carvers in other countries fashioned ornate sculptures out of tusks. He documented illegal actions involving ivory that had slipped through borders. Martin took detailed photos of ivory shops and illegal carvings, meticulously tracking the trade that has decimated populations of elephants and rhinos.

I truly admire individuals who devote their lives to helping the helpless. I hold even more admiration for those who help animals.

I suspect that this WAS NOT a botched robbery attempt, instead I feel it is safe to assume that this was retaliation for his attacks on the underworld that deals with (illegal) animal and animal parts trafficking. I hope that this does not dissuade others from taking a stand against the ivory trade.
edit on 252018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
A poor end to a man who has done some very brave things for a good cause. Sadly, when you expose these vile criminals you'll end up being a target.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

May not be botched but if not why take him out now? I mean if he had been at it for years

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat
I suspect it maybe was related to this?
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Hong Kong is shutting down the illegal ivory trade, just announced in January.

Slimy. Putrid.
I hope karma moves quickly on the ones who killed him.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This wouldn't have happened if rich white people didn't start spreading their fake capitalism doctrine to the East.

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
This wouldn't have happened if rich white people didn't start spreading their fake capitalism doctrine to the East.

www.theatlantic.com...

I am a capitalist. I make really good $, more than I know what to do with so I donate to charity.

I would hang every single ivory trader in my back yard with a smile. This includes big game hunters, too.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
triads and African's aren't messing around

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Maybe because there isn´t a "TPTB" but small groups of mostly uncoordinated smugglers and one of those groups, eventually heard of him, found him and solved the problem they saw they have with him.

top topics

join