It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump attacks the UK's health service, and Britain hits back

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
The NHS is broke and is starting to fail miserably.. A big reason is with unprecedented immigration to the UK and budget cuts its only a matter of time begore it collapses..

Close, but no cigar.

We have had eight years of the most savage public service cuts in history. In 2010, most health trusts, like most schools and police authorities, were running a slight surplus. Now, almost all are in the red.

Why? Because most of the "new spending" has gone on carving it up and dishing it out to the private sector. Virgin Healthcare, IIRC, received £500 million pounds from us last year.

Increasing centralisation of power and delegation of budgets means strategic planning has gone out of the window. Its business unit vs business unit.

Migration is a red herring, particularly as the research suggests migrants are net contributors to the economy. It's a convenient distraction to keep people fired up and distracted from the real nasties.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: Misterlondon

I was in hospital last week up north and ï got great care tbh. Didn't have to wait and I also noticed many signs saying if you are foreign you may have to pay for your treatment.
No where near perfect is the NHS but we can't let the buggers sink her.

It's bad in London.. Waiting times are at least 4 hours and a GP appointment is minimum 2 weeks..

Would probably be quicker to drive up north get treatment and drive back than it would getting any decent service down here..

The UK paved the way in free health care which was the envy of the world.. Would be such a shine to see that legacy destroyed..

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Anyone hear Vince Clarks idea? I like it.

Also anyone hear about the sleep in pay crisis in care?.
Looks like the government is going to have to bail out the private care sector because they have been paying us wrong.
Gonna cost 400 million.
I'm due about 8k.
edit on 5-2-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Immigration and Health Tourists.
I've seen it with my my own eyes.
Didn't want to say it but.

Cost of health tourism pa...about £300 million.

Public subsidy to Virgin Healthcare pa ...IIRC, about £500 million.

Look, a rainbow!

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

I started a thread last month about Britain's National Healthcare System delaying 23000 operations due to lack of money. That is very alarming when you think about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
We could just try funding the NHS properly.

Just an idea.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So if they cannot fund a country of 50 million you want to bring it to a country almost 7 times the size? Trumps tweets spur conversation. What is wrong with that?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The NHS is broke. I can only thank Trump for making it heard while the bloody tories just sweep it under the carpet

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

When you guys live longer you can tell us how your system is better.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: slider1982
Guys really?,

I guess London is totally different to the rest of the country?, I cannot get an appointment to see my GP within a two week period, my local NHS trust is awful and I was shocked to my core with the bullying that the mid wife sustained when my son was born for doing nothing more than attempting to assist (This went a lot deeper than just a observation)..

My local Hospital is under staffed and the Doctors simply do not fill me with any confidence, my wife was working in the UK as a invited medic from the Philippines in a key worker position, she came here a few years before meeting me and all of her friends have since been pushed out of the UK, many where experienced Nurse's or mid wifes, most are now living a far better life in Australia and Canada. Oh had my wife not of married me her visa was not going to be renewed, how does that work out?, gleaming reference with good work history yet the home office in their wisdom decided that it was better to have zero skilled migrants that will do f#ck all than keep trained staff???...

From my observation the NHS is being sabotaged, it is being lined up for private firms to come in to provide a service, honestly whatever happens do not fall ill in central London, I spent 50 minutes with a lady who had fallen down a flight of stairs and was totally out of it. We waiting nearly a hour for a paramedic.

In a past life I also supplied equipment to the Paramedic response riders, honestly the morale was terrible even back then so god knows what it is like now???....

What has happened to the NHS is a disgrace, also allowing the NHS to be used by the entire third world is not something I am happy with, pay into the system to use the system when needed, not take take take as soon as you get off the boat....

RA

I agree with everything you say.. Especially the last paragraph..

People are coming of the boat and straight to the hospital for free care and it is draining the f ing system.. I was recently in hospital and had to wait 7 hours.. In that time I only saw 3 British people.. All the rest of the people there were foreign born..

Same problem with the schools.. This country is a f ing joke nowadays..

That's some super power. The ability to tell where someone was born just by looking at them...

Not a superpower, something learnt from growing up in a multi cultural city.. It's like gypsies you can tell them a mile off, no superpowers needed..

I work in the building industry and we have alot of Romanians in this sector.. It's got to a point now that I can tell which part of Romania they are from just by listening to their English accent..

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

It's bad in London.. Waiting times are at least 4 hours and a GP appointment is minimum 2 weeks..

I think its the luck of the draw.

A and E....Me and mine have been five times in the last four years. Nothing life threatening. In and out in under two hours every time.

GP...we can normally manage same day appointments. We rarely have to wait a second day. Remember, you can choose your GP. Not happy with yours, shop around. We did. Ditto non urgent hospital treatment. Heck, the youngest was born at Kings College because a friend of ours lives round the corner and had a parking space!

111 is a different matter. Twice we tried it, twice they didn't even bother calling us back. Luckily, we had a walk in centre locally.

Mind you, that's been closed down now, probably so we can sub Capita a few million quid to keep a hospital in light bulbs and toilet paper.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Thats 300 million that the likes of the US would not pay out. Therein lies the problem.
The UK is too damned soft.
I know of people arriving in the UK with a current condition that "fall ill" at the Airport and get months of care for free because they know they can.
Absurd? Yep.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
So if they cannot fund a country of 50 million you want to bring it to a country almost 7 times the size? Trumps tweets spur conversation. What is wrong with that?

Usually negative conversations, that's what's wrong with it..

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Look, a rainbow!

300 million on spongers draining our system.. Who have never paid a penny into this country.. Not sure why your trying to justify that..

As far as I'm concerned that 299,999,999 to much..
edit on 5/2/18 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

The TPB thank you for giving them a free pass.

Never mind the evidence, feel the rage.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Seconded.
2nd line.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Look, a rainbow!

300 million on spongers draining our system.. Who have never paid a penny into this country.. Not sure why your trying to justify that..

As far as I'm concerned that 299,999,999 to much..

I'm not trying to justifying it.

I'm pointing out the massive con trick being perpetrated by TPTB.
edit on 5-2-2018 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I've seen it with my own eyes.
How much do Interpreters cost on a long term basis?
Even the Staff are exasperated.
And that particular incident was another "oh dear , we fell ill in the UK."
Makes my blood boil.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I've seen it with my own eyes.
How much do Interpreters cost on a long term basis?
Even the Staff are exasperated.
And that particular incident was another "oh dear , we fell ill in the UK."
Makes my blood boil.

We've all seen it with our own eyes.

Google says £64 million a year on translators.

Let's put that in perspective.

The pet food market in the UK is worth £3 billion a year.

The Bank of England subbed the banks £248 billion to calm their nerves after the referendum.

You'd rather get mad a Johnny Foreigner than the City?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I love how the biggest problem most people seem to have with the NHS is the time it takes to get an appointment. Here in the US it's now a regular occurrence to have people go online and beg for money so they can pay their hospitals. But, yeah, England's healthcare system is way worse.

Hell, England doesn't even have a great universal healthcare system. And it's still way better than what we have here. Compare our healthcare system to one That's actually great, like France or Japan, and you'll see how bad we actually have it.

Finally, does anyone else find it funny that Trump was all for universal healthcare before he ran for President on the GOP ticket and now he's going out of his way to disparage it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join