It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Moon Base and Mars Base Habitat Simulations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The Chinese have been doing several habitat simulations of what it would be like to live on a moon base or mars base. It's not an easy system to engineer. The moon base would have to be completely self-sufficient. It would have to have systems for energy, food, water, and material production to be self-sufficient. Everything would have to be recycled. They would need 3D printer capabilities to create replacement parts. Or other forms of self-sufficiency of manufacturing. And no one ever talks about the ability to manufacture high tech tools like computers in a self-sufficient environment.

But assume for moment, all these engineer problems have resolved. The Chinese graduate 4 times the number of engineers the US does every year. As a communist country China is all about 100% employment. So I imagine when the state leaders get an idea in their head they throw tons of people at the problem. So assume the Chinese achieve full self-sufficiency for their colony simulations.

Not 10 students, 200 students:

Chinese students spent 200 continuous days in a "lunar lab" in Beijing, state media said Friday, as the country prepares for its long-term goal of putting people on the moon.

Four students crammed into a 160-square-metre (1,720-square-foot) cabin called "Yuegong-1"—Lunar Palace—on the campus of Beihang University, testing the limits of humans' ability to live in a self-contained space, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Chinese volunteers spend 200 days on virtual 'moon base'

Then I was thinking, what would it take to convert these simulations to hardened bunkers capable of surviving a nuclear attack. Any nation capable of surviving a direct nuclear attack preserving a large population would be the winner of a nuclear war. These on-Earth colonies could hold thousands of people perhaps tens of thousands. I think you need at least 50,000 people to have a gene pool sufficient enough not to have Kentucky like inbreeding problems. The Chinese always do everything by the tens of thousands. Such self-sufficient colonies could probably survive 10 to 20 years. Maybe even up to 100 years.

I've read many different takes on how long after a nuclear attack before radiation levels subside to levels safe for humans to walk around and drink water. Some account have it as short as 2 years. Others have it at 10 years, 100 years, and 200 years. Some say 20,000 years. So it's not clear how long a self-sufficient on-Earth colony would have to survive before the people could recolonize the Earth.

I imagine some rich billionaires might pool some money together to build on-Earth bunker colonies in an effort to preserve the human race in the event of all out nuclear war. If I can imagine it, I'm sure thousands of other people have imagined it.

Here's an interesting talk on moon colony energy production:

edit on 5-2-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Is this thread about off world colonies or double purposing them for surviving Nukedomgeddon here?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

As a conspiracy thread, it is about the second part. The first part is what they say they are doing.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I think richer nations like China are setting their sights too high, just like the uS did in the 60s and 70s; developing space travel to go to the moon and beyond, establishing colonies, exploring further out... the dreams and goals are ambitious, the payoff nil. Whats to find that can't be done with probes and sensors. Humans don't have to go and occupy a place, plant their flag and die slow of suffocation or radiation, choking on dust and vacuum.

we found out over time its a costly boring endeavor, people lost interest, gave up on it. Imo, they will too.

After they spend an entire fortune and lose some craft and personnel.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Have thread without the word "Trump" in it and it's pretty much ignored.

Politics are a waste of time.

top topics

join