It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No - I DON'T

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I don't blame you. Care for it, and drive it til it chugs its last drop of gasoline. You're right about it being a good project vehicle to teach your son as well. Good on you.

-Alee

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Why would anyone ask you, "Why don't you get a new truck?" What is prompting them to ask this question? Or are you being rhetorical here to advance your point?

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have a 1983 chevy C-10 and one thing it has that newer vehicles don`t have are those little triangle shaped vent windows. I love those things! just crack it open a little bit and it sucks the cigarette smoke right out.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
15 year old Honda Accord here with 300k miles lol.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i'm driving my 99 corolla still, and it's well over 220,000 miles.

keep on keepin on, OP

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hmmm. I am a little jealous, you have a ninety six. I just have an eighty seven silverado 4x4 pickup, yours is so new. Mine has less than thirty five thousand miles on it though. My newest vehicle right now is a 2000 explorer but that has a hundred six thousand miles on it.

We don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles, maybe five thousand miles a year total for all of them.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree
a reply to: intrptr

also, nobody wants to steal an old truck/car and people don`t cut you off in traffic because they don`t want their new $30,000 car to get dented. the plastic bumpers on the new cars are no match for the old steel chromed bumpers, and it will cost them more to replace their plastic bumper than the entire old truck is worth.

for the cost of a new car I could completely rebuild my old truck and have a lot of money left over for fun things.

Friends have tales of people being in fender-bender crashes. Their custom fitted polycarbonate/carbon fibre bumper gets crushed and cracks. Then the insurance company insists that they have to buy a brand new one at $10000 before they can get re-insured and back on the road. They are supposed to be better than iron bumpers for crashes because they absorb the force.

Those people with old cars bought for less than $3000, they just buy a new second-hand car.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I did consider getting a new truck, however my 97 Toyota is just bulletproof, I spent a few grand on it a couple of years ago and there's nothing wrong with it, I think I would like a new car but I just don't see the point, as the old saying goes don't fix what ain't broke.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Got an 04 f150 with 96k on it. I drive all mine till the wheels fall off then replace with a nice and lightly used vehicle. May as well benefit from that instant depreciation when the first owner drove it off the lot.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
1996? That's new.

I've got a 1988 parked out the front of work which I use everyday, only has 145k on the clock so is good for at least another 100k, if looked after.

Those people who must have a new shiny metal box.... Leave them to it, they keep us in jobs and keep the economy rolling.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Over the last few weeks, I've had several folks say to me "Why don't you get a new truck?" and my reply is always "I don't need one" Then, we invariably get into the part where they try to prove their point by asking "What year is it?"
Me: " 96 "
Them : [ with a knowing smirk ] "How many miles?"
Me : [ with smirk wiping reply ] " A little over 126,000"
Them : "Oh"

I'm just not a "throw it away 'cause it's old" kind of person. I know folks who will throw out a washer or dryer because the timer went bad or they just want a newer model. You can install new timers for much less than a new washer and if I'll be damned if I'll throw out something just because it ain't the latest and greatest. I'll never understand folks who upgrade to new phones because the new one does 1 more thing than the old model.
My criteria is : "Can I make or receive a call"? Yes.
"Can I send or answer a text?" Yes.
Then I don't need a new one.

Now, could my old truck use a few new parts? Yeah. This Spring I plan on doing a bit of an overhaul,replacing belts, hoses, a few gaskets, front ball joints and new shocks and springs too. It doesn't have any dents, dings or rust, but the paint is faded, so I figure as long as I'm at it, I'll get a new paint job. Since I'll do all the replacement work myself, I'll save LOADS on labor and the new paint will set me back maybe $1000, so I'm lookin at around [ hand waggle ] $2000 - $2500.

I keep hearing -
"But the new ones have built in GPS"
I can read a map and I've had a TomTom for years. I think I've used it maybe half a dozen times. I don't need to spend $2000 on built in anything to get where I'm going.

"They have heated/cooled seats"
Man the f**k up.

"You can link your phone to the car"
I don't talk/text while I'm driving. You know why? 'Cause I'm too busy looking out for the idiots who think we're at Daytona and take that whole "rubbin is racin" thing way too seriously.

On to cost.
$2500 to rebuild my old one, have some fun doing it [ I like fixing things ] and enjoy some time with my son while teaching him how to fix stuff or...go in debt $30,000 - $43,000 for a new one.
Do the math.

Of course, I'm the kinda guy who'd rather drive an old truck than a new Cadillac..............or trade it for a new truck

The insurance factor. Vehicles over 10 yrs old... You can get totaled out for a simple claim.. just carry PDL.. 'Cause full coverage isn't worth it or necessary.

Time are changing... But I understand.. Got a Chevelle 396 '69...but it's a custom rob... Not an every-day...

My 2001 runs too still... But makes more sense to junk it. Auto stores don't gen. have parts over 10 yrs in stock...

Hey.. I've got an old 8 trk too... But..

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I hear ya. I have a 1960 VW Beetle and a 1966 Chevy C10. Though the wife does have a fairly new car (2013). You just can't beat the old stuff.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I drive a "98 Mustang and I hear the SAME THING! Oh why don't you buy a new one?! Why? I love my car. It's nothing fancy but it's mine. I've had it 10 years. Her milage is unknown but I'm guessing around 200k. She needs a paint job and some cosmetic fixes but other than that she's been the best car ever! She's a manual and I would never trade her in or get another new one. I personally don't care for the models after 2004. I don't like the new ones and all the computers in them.

In the 10 years I have had this car I have put tires on it, new clutch, did some front end work, brakes, regular maintenance, a few batteries, fuel pump (sat for 3 years) and one new alternator (that was Progressives fault when I used that snapshot but long story short they reimbursed me) and a new driver window.....that was alll my fault! Anyway, I paid $3500 in 2008 and I've probably put that much into her in ten years if not less! Best car ever!

When I was pregnant I bought a PT Cruiser, yes don't laugh I know it's a terrible car. My Mustang sat for 3 years, when my PT Loser crapped out after a little over a year and a second engine I had my Mustang back on the road with a new fuel pump, tires and oil change in one day!

My son will get my Mustang when he is 18. By then I will have given her the make over she so deserves! My son is almost 5 now and is always telling people he wants a car like mommy when he is older. He will be the cool kid in the old Mustang and I am so ok with that!!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Jeez mine was $450 a month not too long ago. DUI + young guy + brand new WRX (I paid with cash but still got full coverage). Was not the smartest move on my part. Fun though. Traded it for a newish F150 and with full coverage it's like $200 plus it gets similar gas mileage and doesn't need Premium. Same value too.

I don't think I'll ever buy new again unless it's something like a WRX or M3 and there's no way I'm trusting the previous owners didn't thrash it.

At a certain point I think it makes sense to upgrade. My iPhone 5 is getting a little wonky, has no storage and the battery needs to be charged constantly. I'll probably pick up a 7 or 8. Can't justify a grand for a freaking phone. Do like the iPhone and would love a slightly bigger screen so reading ebooks when I'm out and about is easier.

Fix your truck, keep it clean, nobody worth your time should care. I have a buddy that buys ridiculously expensive vehicles all the time. I think he's probably massively in debt and it's all going to come to a head soon. Not worth it. This time I went with cloth seats, pretty basic package and feel perfectly content.

I had a pretty sweet '95 Chevy 2500 extended cab that was lifted with some awesome wheels and it was cherry when I was about 20. Thing had over 250,000 and was perfectly fine. Until I rolled down a hill and bounced off some trees. Treat things well and they last a long time. I'm fairly convinced that most people are actually pretty bad about routine maintenance and that those rare cars that last forever have just been paid attention to.

Sure if you're a professional and driving an insane amount it might make sense to get WAY better mileage, and the newer trucks certainly do. Some of the wealthiest people I know drive 10 or 20 year old cars that are in perfect condition.

Good for you OP!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

When I was pregnant I bought a PT Cruiser, yes don't laugh I know it's a terrible car.

#.
i have had mine for almost 4 years. love it
trying to buy another

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

brand new wrx you bastard???

i have had an on hard for those for a while now.
my buddy at work has one and its sick man

love that car.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Nice thread
I agree wholeheartedly. Where did you learn to do all your own auto repairs? Just curious.

Keep an eye out for all the wannabe Cole Trickles out there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join