It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No - I DON'T

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Over the last few weeks, I've had several folks say to me "Why don't you get a new truck?" and my reply is always "I don't need one" Then, we invariably get into the part where they try to prove their point by asking "What year is it?"
Me: " 96 "
Them : [ with a knowing smirk ] "How many miles?"
Me : [ with smirk wiping reply ] " A little over 126,000"
Them : "Oh"

I'm just not a "throw it away 'cause it's old" kind of person. I know folks who will throw out a washer or dryer because the timer went bad or they just want a newer model. You can install new timers for much less than a new washer and if I'll be damned if I'll throw out something just because it ain't the latest and greatest. I'll never understand folks who upgrade to new phones because the new one does 1 more thing than the old model.
My criteria is : "Can I make or receive a call"? Yes.
"Can I send or answer a text?" Yes.
Then I don't need a new one.

Now, could my old truck use a few new parts? Yeah. This Spring I plan on doing a bit of an overhaul,replacing belts, hoses, a few gaskets, front ball joints and new shocks and springs too. It doesn't have any dents, dings or rust, but the paint is faded, so I figure as long as I'm at it, I'll get a new paint job. Since I'll do all the replacement work myself, I'll save LOADS on labor and the new paint will set me back maybe $1000, so I'm lookin at around [ hand waggle ] $2000 - $2500.

I keep hearing -
"But the new ones have built in GPS"
I can read a map and I've had a TomTom for years. I think I've used it maybe half a dozen times. I don't need to spend $2000 on built in anything to get where I'm going.

"They have heated/cooled seats"
Man the f**k up.

"You can link your phone to the car"
I don't talk/text while I'm driving. You know why? 'Cause I'm too busy looking out for the idiots who think we're at Daytona and take that whole "rubbin is racin" thing way too seriously.

On to cost.
$2500 to rebuild my old one, have some fun doing it [ I like fixing things ] and enjoy some time with my son while teaching him how to fix stuff or...go in debt $30,000 - $43,000 for a new one.
Do the math.

Of course, I'm the kinda guy who'd rather drive an old truck than a new Cadillac..............or trade it for a new truck

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I'm a reliability type of guy.
I had a 2001 f150 that I bought in 2003.
I sold it a little more than a year ago because it was becoming to problematic.
Owning an auto more than a decade is my norm.

But damn my new truck is sweet....ha

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm just not a "throw it away 'cause it's old" kind of person.

Me neither. Looks don't make it go.

In fact I prefer a beat up truck to the shiny new thingy. When peoples new cars get a scratch they react like someone broke their leg. They have to worry about where to park, drive and leave it.

Oh no, worry worry, insurance full coverage paid up? What will you do? Crying tears...

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Other than regular stuff like plugs, battery, oil, etc, this is the first major work I've done on it. I did have to replace the throttle position sensor not too long ago. If it starts to cost me just to keep it on the road, it's gone.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

lol. My insurance is about $300 a year.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

That sounds like a rural premium.

I don't presently own a vehicle.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

also, nobody wants to steal an old truck/car and people don`t cut you off in traffic because they don`t want their new $30,000 car to get dented. the plastic bumpers on the new cars are no match for the old steel chromed bumpers, and it will cost them more to replace their plastic bumper than the entire old truck is worth.

for the cost of a new car I could completely rebuild my old truck and have a lot of money left over for fun things.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Same here brother. My car is just like my phone ... old, beatup and very dependable. I will run it as long as I can until the repair costs start rising.

Just bought 3 new batteries for my phone, hasn't failed me yet:

I really should activate messaging one of these days.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Agree with everything you said...

Except;

"They have heated/cooled seats"
Man the f**k up.

Men can’t be too cold/hot?
Less of a man if you do feel too cold/hot?

Or was it just hyperbolic satire?
In which case, good one. 😬👍

But yeah, buying new stuff just because “it’s new” is garbage behaviour, imo.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Good for you!
As far as GPS goes, sometimes I wonder how people got where they wanted to go 20 years ago.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I am the same way. And thank you for posting about it, because I was starting to think I am a member of a dying breed.

My 94 f150 has 236,000 on it. 3 clutches, installed by me, 2nd rebuild on heads-up me(found out they don't like ethanol), 2nd set of hubs(switched to manual warns). It's a work truck, and it works hard. I skid logs with it, I haul trailers of building materials with it, it's also a hunting truck, and boat hauler.

My kids keep bitching about me being cheap, and I tell em that if go buy new stuff all the time- I can't bail you out when you need help.

I maintain all my own equipment, homes, and vehicles.
I've never been the type to want to pay 100's or 1000's to someone else when I can do it myself. To me that's stupid and wasteful - 2 things I hate.

I don't fall for the "it's new and shiny, I NEED it!" mentality people seem to be caught up in. And because if it, I'm not losing my house and we eat pretty damn good.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Lots of right turns..
Lol

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

Old Classic films, like pickemups, never die...

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I'm not the kind to keep a vehicle that long....but that's just me.

OTOH, we only last year got a flat panel TV...the TV we had before that was from 1992.
Our washer and dryer....knock on wood.....are more than 25 years old.

For the most part, what you buy new isn't as well built as what you had.

ETA
Although....I had my last Saturn for 12 years.....car always started.
edit on Sun Feb 4 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If you love any vehicle enough...it's fixable. If you don't its disposable. I'm much more appreciative of a vehicle that is well loved. Never fully understood spending a fortune on something that chains you into debt and loses value as soon as you sign the dotted line.... And this from a mother whose daughter sells cars for a living. ..* sigh. My argument has always been that a vehicle is for getting from a to b. It's not about bells and whistles. If anyone is expecting me to pay ten times or more for that convenience. ..that car better get me where I need to go ten times faster.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I admire you. And couldn't agree with you more. It's just smarter financially in the long run, whether it's a car or appliance. And since you've got the know how to do so - even better.

And the best thing of all is the wisdom you'll pass on to your child. That's priceless.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm with you. I have a 96 truck and I keep it running. Mainly because if you look at car lots it seems all the trucks have king cabs and 6 ft beds. I use my truck to haul things, not people. I don't need 4 people to pick up drywall or a sofa, but I don't want it hanging over the tailgate.

I do envy my buddy's seat warmers, though. We were riding back to his house one cold day, I got out of his truck and into mine, and my first thought was, "Damn, my ass is cold!"

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am with you. The last thing I want is more technology in my vehicle. I am fine with a car or truck that doesn’t have Bluetooth or any way to track me.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I have an 04 pt turbo that I love. My tax check hits feb 19 and i have my eye on an 03 with 60k miles that i hope is there. Ive had 1 new car in my life and dont care if i ever get another.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm with you. When we get something, we don't need to replace it just because a newer model is out there. If what we have is still functional with minimal repairs and solid maintenance on it, then it's still good even if it is old and not the latest and greatest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join