It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Columbia/Venezuela Tensions Eased By Talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Meetings between Venezulean President Hugo Chavez and Columbia's Alvaro Uribe have resulted in a Columbian promise to respect Venezuelan sovreignity. Last month leaders of the Columbian rebel group FARC were captured inside Venezuela by mercinaries working for Columbia. Afterwards Columbia's Vice President issued an invitation for mercinaries to come do more, saying "The money is there". Now the Caracas Talks seem to be easing those tensions.

news.bbc.co.uk
Last month, Venezuela froze links with Colombia after its neighbour admitted it paid bounty hunters who had captured a rebel chief on Venezuelan soil.

Ties have improved since Mr Uribe vowed to respect Venezuela's sovereignty.

The talks behind closed doors were expected to end with issuing a joint declaration, Colombian Foreign Minister Carolina Barco was quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a step in the right direction. I think it would be very wise for Hugo Chavez to go the extra mile by pledging his support against any FARC members operating in Venezuela. These two leaders need to understand that if they can't put their house in order, Porter Goss' CIA will be all too happy to do it for them. Nobody in that region wants to fight, so it's good that they make peace before outside influences can cause trouble.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Columbia Needs Mercs For Venezuelan Ops?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yes nobody in the region wants to fight, I agree with that, but the problem here may not be just that simple, it maybe some outside forces that are meddling in these two countries not because they care about Colombia but because they want to make Chavez government unstable.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes nobody in the region wants to fight, I agree with that, but the problem here may not be just that simple, it maybe some outside forces that are meddling in these two countries not because they care about Colombia but because they want to make Chavez government unstable.

This is exactly my point. If these two nations get to where they can cooperate they can take away the "Columbia excuse" for outside intervention. Also if Venezuela were to cooperate closely with Columbia they may act as a corridor for Columbian relations with Brazil, leading to the inclusion of both of these nations in BRIC. If Columbia and Venzuela get on the same page and stick close to Brazil, Russia, India, and China they will be able to ensure their own security against overt military action. There is no way that America would risk Chinese occupation that close to Panama by holding their feet to the fire once they became BRIC members.

Also, Venezuela can basically play Columbia here. Columbia will probably
be happy to get closer to their neighbor and get help against FARC- they might not consider that America would then be forced to attack Columbia first. It turns Columbia into Venezuela's shield perhaps without Columbia even realizing it.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Originally posted by marg6043

This is exactly my point. If these two nations get to where they can cooperate they can take away the "Columbia excuse" for outside intervention. Also if Venezuela were to cooperate closely with Columbia they may act as a corridor for Columbian relations with Brazil, leading to the inclusion of both of these nations in BRIC. If Columbia and Venzuela get on the same page and stick close to Brazil, Russia, India, and China they will be able to ensure their own security against overt military action. There is no way that America would risk Chinese occupation that close to Panama by holding their feet to the fire once they became BRIC members.

Also, Venezuela can basically play Columbia here. Columbia will probably
be happy to get closer to their neighbor and get help against FARC- they might not consider that America would then be forced to attack Columbia first. It turns Columbia into Venezuela's shield perhaps without Columbia even realizing it.

Good analysis IMO.

South Americans are developing some fine alternatives to the FTAA.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just who REALLY calls the shots in Colombia these days ?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
President of Colombia - President Alvaro Uribe

US ambassador - Ambassador William Wood

Colombia’s President Alvaro Uribe is, by his own admission, a man of the right. Unlike most recent Colombian presidents, Uribe is from the land-owning class. He inherited huge swathes of cattle ranching land from his father Alberto Uribe, who was subject to an extradition warrant to face drug trafficking charges in the United States until he was killed in 1983, allegedly by leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrillas. Alvaro Uribe grew up with the children of Fabio Ochoa, three of who became leading players in Pablo Escobar’s Medellín coc aine cartel.

Seems that he does have a shady pass, and not very good for the poor class that is mostly what is in the country.

Also he is friends with the Bush administration.

www.colombiajournal.org...

[edit on 15-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Guys - you have GOT to give this girl some credit here. She is GOOD!

Go marg.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
all good and well if venezuela wasnt funding and helping farc

bad analysis vagabond, venezuela is the reason farc is still fighting and the reason they exists, they probably threatened columbia for fighting farc in venezuela and demanded this 'talk' to make chavez look good or else theres full scale war backing farc directly, your response shows how little you know about their situation.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
marg he sounds like chavez....but as its said "my enemies enemy is my friend" and farc is our enemy and anyone assisting farc.

[edit on 15-2-2005 by namehere]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
bad analysis vagabond, venezuela is the reason farc is still fighting and the reason they exists, they probably threatened columbia for fighting farc in venezuela and demanded this 'talk' to make chavez look good or else theres full scale war backing farc directly, your response shows how little you know about their situation.

I cover Venezuela for ATSNN more than anybody else here slick, and I predicted America's new bad attitude towards them months before it made the mainstream news. You've missed my point entirely and you're being an arrogant little troll as a result.

Venezuela is fixing to get whacked by America. If they don't resolve this FARC problem and make peace with Columbia it IS going to happen.

I think it would be very wise for Hugo Chavez to go the extra mile by pledging his support against any FARC members operating in Venezuela. These two leaders need to understand that if they can't put their house in order, Porter Goss' CIA will be all too happy to do it for them

See where I'm going with this slick? Venezuela is in trouble if they don't step away from FARC's side. Columbia is in trouble if they don't make nice with Venezuela. These two leaders may very well need eachother, and hopefully they came to that conclusion during these talks.
I also offered the alternative that Venezuela was just hiding behind Columbia by improving ties for the sole reason of inviting US attention to Columbia ahead of Venezuela.

Let me make a suggestion for you chief, I'm pretty big on this strategic crap, and I've been on a real impressive streak of calling things right for the last few months- if you make a habit of trolling with me it's only a matter of time till I make you look really stupid.

top topics

join