It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless in California , wheres the dream?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

True.
I mean lets be honest though . where im at there are about 6-9 homeless people within a half mile. Ive gotten to know a few but i tend to avoid them . i know at least 4 of them are heroin addicts. And at peast half need mental help .One of those wants help but his addiction stops him at the same time . there are a few who are vets and use alcohol . then there is me .
I know the trials of those others . they do risk jail everyday to get their fix. They actually make more than me a week but have habbits way worse than mine . i feel for them. Its a messed up world we live in man.

And im betting it gets worse before it gets better

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I can agree with that, I would add that for those who want to make a better life and escape homelessness should be afforded the chance to do so, social programs need to be in place to help facilitate the transition. Personally I would be happy to have some of my tax money go toward something along those lines, as it stands though the homeless do not get the help they need to get out of the situation many are in.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
There's a huge problem of gentrification on the whole of the West Coast. It's affecting all of the major cities. A lot of it has to do with the tech boom, and overall jobs whereas more rural areas, you're stuck on welfare, albeit cheaper rent, but there are less work opportunities.

You don't want to be homeless in below zero weather, so guess where you head too if in the West? Even the desert areas outside of the coastal regions are too cold at night for some.

California the best option if you fall homeless despite some issues such as danger and arrests. You can even have showers in some places, some free for those that down and out, without having to stay in a shelter.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

The problem is there are services for people who have mental and drug problems. There are services for a woman escaping abuse or who has kids. There are services for just about everyone .

I dont fall into any of those and therfore get nothing. Seriously if i was to go get strung out i could get a bed almost instantly but since all those beds are taken by people abusing the system(and there are a LOT abusing the system) and those who legit want to change and even those who want to change but will fail due to the addiction or other circumstances meaning there is no room at the inn for me.

I spent two weeks calling all the help services i could in this city and was rejected because i didnt fit the criteria .

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I can agree with that, I would add that for those who want to make a better life and escape homelessness should be afforded the chance to do so, social programs need to be in place to help facilitate the transition. Personally I would be happy to have some of my tax money go toward something along those lines, as it stands though the homeless do not get the help they need to get out of the situation many are in.

There are programs. Plenty of shelters, food banks, etc. The problem is that a large number of the homeless are beyond help. Homelessness isn't the problem. It is a symptom. The problem is drug addiction and mental issues. Neither can be fixed by charity imho.

This is why I said unless society is willing to forcibly remove these people from the streets, there will always be homeless. There will always be people who get addicted to drugs and their will always be people whose wires are crossed mentally. Therefore, we will always have homeless.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomelessWhiteMale

True.
I mean lets be honest though . where im at there are about 6-9 homeless people within a half mile. Ive gotten to know a few but i tend to avoid them . i know at least 4 of them are heroin addicts. And at peast half need mental help .One of those wants help but his addiction stops him at the same time . there are a few who are vets and use alcohol . then there is me .
I know the trials of those others . they do risk jail everyday to get their fix. They actually make more than me a week but have habbits way worse than mine . i feel for them. Its a messed up world we live in man.

What you describe is hell. These poor people are in living hell. Telling them to clean up and join the living is like a joke to them, as they face a vertical cliff they cannot climb. We need to have a proper medical response for them. Perhaps a stasis that gets them through the horrors of withdrawal and real therapy that individually rebuilds their lives. They need maximum medical intervention, and this country has the ability to provide that if it gets enough real attention.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

True.

What you describe is hell. These poor people are in living hell. Telling them to clean up and join the living is like a joke to them, as they face a vertical cliff they cannot climb. We need to have a proper medical response for them. Perhaps a stasis that gets them through the horrors of withdrawal and real therapy that individually rebuilds their lives. They need maximum medical intervention, and this country has the ability to provide that if it gets enough real attention.

Unfortunately nothing will change until greed is no longer the driving force behind our so called society.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

True.

Unfortunately nothing will change until greed is no longer the driving force behind our so called society.

Greed is ingrained in all corners of society, in every country, and is not going to go away, but I believe it has pressure of being pushed aside a bit lately, as humanity itself is going through a bit of a shift. Some bright minds with enlightened senses of goodness should be able to make a breakthrough. I have to hope for this, because otherwise, it is a gloomy outlook for those who continually overlook what really matters in life.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv
This is true. The one i actually talk to is a heroin addict who ive tried to help but he wont even try until he gets enough dope to make it through the intake process. I dont think he will ever make it though because he cant stop himself. It is his hell.

And unfortunately greed is the norm now days. I hope one day we can make it through these times.

edit on 3-2-2018 by HomelessWhiteMale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

True.

What does greed have to do with homelessness?

Again, how do you help the heroin addict without just snatching them off the street against their will? We have a bunch of these geek monsters begging in my community. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do for them. My village is extremely liberal and has all kinds of services to help the homeless and those less fortunate... almost too a fault. We get a lot of homeless coming here to take advantage of the liberal attitudes and it is starting to affect the quality of life in the town (finding OD'ed heroin addicts at the public library, petty crime, etc).

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
The problem lies with the individual. Save your money, don't buy stupid s# you don't need, keep your nose clean, and you will never be homeless.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Save money? what if someone doesn't have any to save? what if someone gets sick, loses their job, and the hospital bills take all their savings AND they have no job? There are many reasons why people can become homeless and many americans are one step away. One example is me! at the time my parents had cancer and died, I had just earned a masters degree. My regular sub teaching job ended for summer - and I could not find a job no matter how hard I tried. I subsequently lost my home because I just couldn't hold out till school started and I got my paychecks again, and lost my entire life as I had to move home with my dad who then passed away. If it weren't for a friend I would have been homeless - and all while used to working and having a life and earning a degree so I could live "the american dream". I read posts sometimes on a popular social media site where a few people assume others are lazy and spend too much so they caused their own troubles, but that's not always the case.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

True.

Again, how do you help the heroin addict without just snatching them off the street against their will? We have a bunch of these geek monsters begging in my community. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do for them. My village is extremely liberal and has all kinds of services to help the homeless and those less fortunate... almost too a fault. We get a lot of homeless coming here to take advantage of the liberal attitudes and it is starting to affect the quality of life in the town (finding OD'ed heroin addicts at the public library, petty crime, etc).

To the point of intervention. What is being done is not working, so it is the wrong response. There is no active solution, so it gets worse. Who was it that said, "If you do not know where you are going, then you will definitely get there."?

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

True.

Yes a percentage of homeless are addicts and have no chance of getting better also yes a percentage are really mentally ill and many of them are addicts, there will always be people beyond help, still there should be a safety net for them , greed is what is stopping that from happening, no one makes money from helping the down and out, that's greed bud there is no way of sugar coating it.

No different to exuberant costs for medications that is also greed, we live in a system for profit and in that system there is no room for those that do not participate, however the reality is this will be our downfall because as the numbers of down and out rise the cost to deal with them will far outweigh the cost to fix it now.

I liken this to climate debate and pollution, it may be cheaper to bury the pollution now but soon enough the blowback from these practises will come back to bite us in the ass, clean drinking water is one example, if we don't stop the polluting of our groundwater it will be so polluted it will make us all sick, it is far cheaper to come up with a solution now than it is to wait until the point of no return.

At the current rate we will end up with a society similar to what was portrayed in the movie demolition man.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Tucket
Stopped watching after Dude says "it looks something like a 3rd World Country."

I live in a 3rd world country.....trust me...those tents/that street is good living conditions compared...

I have a friend from Nigeria. I love talking with him because of his perspective on life in general. He has parables and sayings that are novel to me, and carry a large amount of wisdom in just a few words.

He marvels at what we call "poverty". Poor people with cell phones is an oxymoron. When I was poor I didn't have cable TV, i struggled to pay the basics. I ate bologna frequently, and ramen just as frequently. In fact, the only reason I know how to cook was because I didn't want my kids going without small treats when we couldn't afford to buy them. So I would make them.

ETA: in fact, when i was poor, being poor meant boredom. You couldn't afford to do anything. You didn't have any entertainment other than movies you'd seen 300 times, or the radio. Or broadcast TV with reruns and low quality programming. My grandma used to tell me when you are broke the only place you can go is to work. Nowadays, you can just forget about it and immerse yourself in a world of free entertainment. Just pay your $50/mo phone bill.

I've pointed this out in numerous debates about the "poor" in America. I saw a statistic that said the bottom 5% of wage earners in America would be in the top 5% of India.

Being poor in America is like the middle and upper classes in some countries. People in housing projects have xboxs, air conditioning, cars, shoes, shirts, three square meals...

I too had a friend from Nigeria in business school. We mentored some kids in Cabrini Green housing projects in Chicago. We went to the elementary school that served the area. My friend commented that he couldn't believe that the kids thought they were poor. He said his school was basically a one room school house with a dirt floor. This school in one of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago... all the kids had clothing, books, air conditioning, desks, chalkboards, etc.

It is all relative...

I always felt like the poor in some other countries are also less stressed than we arre in America. Here, if we don't have electric, they would take our kids away. We HAVE to have insurance we can't always afford...and the list goes on. In America most of our life is taken up by having to earn money to buy things that are "required". We don't have a choice. At least in other countries, they are poor but they don't still have to stress every day on how they are gonna pay for things they don't even want in the first place.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The bad side of the tech boom.

A 16% rise in homeless in the last two years.
edit on 4-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Problem is,most of the homeless are from other states,if your going to be homeless,might as well be where the weather is best,and liberals run our state and won't hesitate to reach into my wallet and give them free items,plus year round tan,what a life,the young people living with their parents,when does it become obvious you can't survive here so better move to Arizona,the housing is cheap,a glut of nice vacant new homes,gas about 2 dollars cheaper,and if you work in the food industry,in Az you don't get arrested for giving someone a straw,the weather sucks,but if you try you can acclimate,people these days are buying new cars,expensive phones,clothes shoes,thats the problem,add them up they equal rent,people are on the certain road of ruin,if this trend continues,I'm not that old but when I turned 18,I went to Jr college and worked,I had a 1 bdrm apt about 9 blocks from the ocean,I didn't always have food to eat,but had gas in car,bills all paid,and could visit girlfriend,or my mom,around dinner time lol,no one wants independence anymore,my 2 oldest did,2 youngest gone for a while,back for a while,hopefully not to much longer

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

no one wants independence anymore,my 2 oldest did,2 youngest gone for a while,back for a while,hopefully not to much longer

Perhaps you are simply hoping for independence from your children.....

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

At some stage you have to define what wealth is, the definition usually has a lot to do being able to have the freedom to make choices. Possessing a flash car and a load of high cost stuff you have to maintain is the opposite, it would tend to imprison you and reduce your choices. Just the same that a mortgage and debt does. It's complicated. I remember Trump saying one time that a Tramp on the street who owed nothing was better off than he was , as he owed millions. It might come down to a state of mind.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
www.latimes.com...

"Guess which state has the highest poverty rate in the country? Not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia, but California, where nearly one out of five residents is poor. That's according to the Census Bureau's Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income."

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Did you just try to say you were independent but couldnt always afford food and had to rely on you girlfriend and mom to keep your belly full at times?

And that people now days dont want to be independent? Now imagine if you didnt have a girlfriend or a mom. Imagine you had to give up your car and gas or the bills or your education

Which could you live with out? Food, car, bills, housing,education pick one you cant have.
Maybe without that food you will starve
Maybe without a car you cant find a job as there are none close
Maybe without the bills you get evicted because your home is now not suitable for habitation
Maybe witb out your education you just stay afloat
Until
Maybe you lose that home...
edit on 4-2-2018 by HomelessWhiteMale because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join