It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Breaking! Russian SU-25 Bomber Shot Down Over Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick
a reply to: Violater1

According to DEFCON Warning System on Twitter, Russian Ministry of Defense claims Jabhat Al-nusra used a shoulder fired missile to shoot down the SU-25.

Who thinks that the missile was US made...

Well I hope it was US gear otherwise I wasted paying taxes.

Gee Erdogen or Putin, screw it, I say arm the Kurds with our best & let them take down both those despots.

The Kurds have been loyal allies to the US for years, it's a damn shameful act for the US to hang them out to dry.
But what can you do, the republicans installed Putin's Puppet in the White House so everyone's screwed.

K~

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The Su-25 doesn't fly at high altitude. The Su-25K, which is an upgraded variant, has a 16,000 foot ceiling when loaded. It can only reach 25,000 without stores. There are supposed versions that can go higher, but it's the equivalent of the A-10. It was designed for low altitude work.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This could get ugly, the US has supported the rebels that are suspected to have shot down the jet. It is likely a US MANPAD took down the jet.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Just come from interfax Russians claim about 30 dead in response

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Russian news media is speculating on this nothing definate yet

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
i guess some dont understand not to poke the bear

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

And in Vietnam and Korea the US directly shot down Russian pilots, just as they shot ours down. The US backed fighters in Afghanistan. This isn't going to turn into anything uglier than we've seen before.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I agree, we won't see any major conflict. We could see proxy retaliations though.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

I'll join you and put on my hat as well. lol

Russia after meddling in the US political world for decades is finally in a position to do some real damage.
They know that trump is anti NATO and a russia/turkey war , because of the current climate in america, wold cause the divide there to grow . Possibly weaken america in a significant way. So , putin sends his slowest most outdated plane to a place that ether he knows it will be shot down or he has it shot down. Giving an excuse to go to war with turkey and destabilize the US.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

What happened to the pilot? Did they kill him? Or did he die from the impact after ejecting?

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

He was killed in fighting on the ground.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick

So, putting on my tinfoil cap...

Could this become a narrative change to take focus off DOJ/FBI collusion? The MSM and lawmakers could start yelling for US/NATO intervention if Russia retaliated against Turkish forces. This could also lead to the MSM/Congress crying about Trump's apparent lack or want of support for NATO.

So I guess we'll just have to wait to see what Russia does. Any attack on one is an attack against every NATO country.

Wars have a way of pulling the country together, with everyone scrambling to line up behind our leader.

Examples

President George W. Bush, for example. His overall job approval rating skyrocketed 13 points to 71 percent after launching the Iraq War in 2003, according to Gallup polls.

President George H.W. Bush saw his job approval rating jump to 18 points to 82 percent after the start of the Persian Gulf war in 1991, Gallup found.

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I find it strange that there is no evidence of his flight suit, just seems to have combat pants and tee shirt. I'm not convinced that is the pilot.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfoot007

I haven't looked all that closely, just gone from Russian government statements. I'm still catching up on things.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
just a coincidence ?

sputniknews.com...
Headline: "US troops have arrived in Israel to take part in a major joint military exercise with Israeli forces .."
...Military & Intelligence = 03:41 02.02.2018

in this article... note the date...

did some missile attachment secretly go on up into a part of Syria which is an enclave of anti-Assad armies & bordering Turkey to practice- in a war theatre - the use of new SAM missiles & downing that recent Russian SU-25 fighter on a bombing sorte

now, look at where the shoot down happened....

see 'Idlib" in upper left corner near Aleppo, in rebel held territory And close to Lebanon as the Missile flies....

the secrets and the twists & turns will just not stop, huh

edit on rd28151768631803312018 by St Udio because: map & city names

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

The Frogfoot is a slow aircraft, and it is ancient by modern standards (it's a 40 yr old + design).

Even rudimentary AA poses a threat to it if it's deployed recklessly.

In fact I'm surprised more of them don't get shot down.

Here is a comparison between the Wart Hog and the Frogfoot.

At 5:11, they talk about the anti-missile systems.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The problem with a MANPADS is there is no warning to the pilot they were fired. Infrared missiles don't have an active seeker, so there's nothing to set off a warning in the cockpit. Unless he, or the other aircraft saw the missile being fired, the first indication he would have had would have been it hitting his aircraft.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Russia aren't bombing the Kurds. Turkey on the other hand....

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I am glad for ATS.

I first read this story on WaPo and all the commentors were about how glad Russia losing a plane and the pilot dying cause he is... Russian.

Yes, the world is at war but we do not have to wish death on others because of their way of life.

That pilot defended his country and his countries allies. We do the same. Let us not wish and love others death. That makes us worse than our TRUE enemy.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

It was radical Islamic terrorists, who likely stole the US weaponry. This is exactly why banning weapons doesn't help. As you see, these amateurs had no trouble acquiring a SAM system of some sort.

OTOH, the number of "liberals" on here advocating for WWIII would be amusing if it weren't so damned hypocritical.
edit on 2/3/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join