It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is criminal: big pharma related

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I started taking a drug (Zyprexa) for schizophrenia in 1997. It was one of the newest drugs on the market.

When a drug company comes out with a new drug the patent last 15 years. The patent has to run out before anyone can make a generic.

Supposedly generics are suppose to lower the price but not with this drug.

When Zyprexa hit the market in 1997 it was $10 a pill or $300 for 30 pills. It's stay at $300 for a 30 day supply for the entire time of the patent.

When the patent expired Zyprexa jumped to $900 for 30 pills. The generic came out at $600 for 30 pills.

Eli Lilly makes both Zyprexa and it's genric Olanzapine.

This has got to be criminal. There is something seriously wrong when companies can do this kind of stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Try:
www.alibaba.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah,buy a Chinese drug,unless its tested to be of the same make up I'd steer clear. I just stopped using a "generic" Vape juice after it started crystallizing in my vaporiser.....please be careful buying anything mass produced from any country with lax laws of its product's.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I had severe anxiety one time while in the hospital. There were about 30+ other patients on the floor and I'd say almost 25 of them had been given the same med (Seroquel ER), which was brand new at the time and was really expensive. The thing is that it didn't seem to matter what condition the person had, they were all getting the same drug! That was really confusing for me as they wanted me to take this for simple anxiety which lead to a few days of not being able to sleep. Some of these people were on mega doses (1200mg 2x a day - but they had tolerance). Now the thing is that the original medication had to be taken 2-4x a day while the new stuff could be taken 1-2x a day and this justified it being a new drug and charging more

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

A quick search online brought me to a site which has it for $107.84 for 30 tabs at 20 mg (3.59 per tab) and 120 tabs for $260.55 (2.17 per tab with free shipping), the later about 90% cheaper than the $600 you mentioned.

As always, caveat emptor.

edit on 3-2-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Dude about all the 'drugs' and 'vitamins' and 'suplements' and 'extracts' people here takes all that come from China. EVERY multivitamin.

To stress about taking materials from that site at this stage isn't unlike if someone started freaking out about the normal human body holding about 10-12lbs. of bacteria.

edit on 3-2-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I just looked at what olanzapine costs here (Australia) and its $15.99 for 28 10mg pills... $5.99 if you've got a healthcare card.

The whole US healthcare system in general just seems like one big ankle job... thats just my opinion though.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I just looked at what olanzapine costs here (Australia) and its $15.99 for 28 10mg pills... $5.99 if you've got a healthcare card.

The whole US healthcare system in general just seems like one big ankle job... thats just my opinion though.

Spot on cobba

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Dude about all the 'drugs' and 'vitamins' and 'suplements' and 'extracts' people here takes all that come from China. EVERY multivitamin.

To stress about taking materials from that site at this stage isn't unlike if someone started freaking out about the normal human body holding about 10-12lbs. of bacteria.

What's even worse is our bodies cannot even metabolise the supplements, they are a scam.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
What's even worse is our bodies cannot even metabolise the supplements, they are a scam.

Your apparent intent with that statement isnt inherently untrue, but its not quite accurate while leaving not much place to go (its too absolutist)...

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Agreed, it is a complex issue that requires far more information than what can be discussed within the boundaries of this thread.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well 'it; depends ont he substance in question, and its available forms, and then which may or may not make it into you particular multivitamin. Most fo the time not necessarily something to worry too much about. Quite often overkill amounts of ingredients are provided . With most 'vitamins' / plant extracts this isnt much of a concern, as only select items have 'toxic' dose level dynamics (Vitamin "D" [the non-Vitamin] in particular).

It really all comes down to the end user Certificate of Analysis heavy metals dosages, in the end, no matter what country of origin something hails from....

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

i'm not surprised. the cost of drugs greatly varies around the world. and for the exact same drug, both name brand or generic.

i know here in the Philippines drugs are much cheaper than the exact same drugs in Canada, or the US (with the US typically being higher prices than in Canada). one drug my father used, cost less in the Philippines, than even just the "dispensing fee" in Canada which was under $10. forget about the actual cost of the drug which was over $100. and that is true for everything in the medical industry, not just drugs. even things like getting a tooth pulled, costs about $10 for everything in the Philippines. yet in Canada or the US that won't even cover the cost of the same novocaine used. my father recently had a stroke in the Philippines, the total cost including a few days in the ICU/stroke unit, as well as about a week and a half in the hospital was about $3,000US. in the US or Canada (if you are not covered by the socialized medical care, and what it costs that socialized medical system) is likely well over that just for ONE DAY. probably would not even cover the drugs used.

the fact of the matter is that drug companies, just like every other part of the medical industry charges what they can get away with. or to put into business language, "what the market will bear", ie, what it can afford to pay/will pay. and since Canada has socialized healthcare, plus many people having private insurance to cover things like medication and dental. just like many people in the US having insurance. that "what the market will bear", is far more than most people could afford on their own. because people are not paying for it, but the insurance covers it. and thus they charge far more than they can get away with in a poorer nation where there is no way even with insurance people could afford it, and thus the costs of everything to do with medicine, is far, far less in those poorer countries, than in countries like the US or Canada, who can afford to pay more. fact is every single part of the medical industry is really ripping everyone off, by seriously overcharging for absolutely everything to do with medical health. be it medical supplies, equipment, or medications.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Drug prices in the US are criminal.
Don't get me started!!!!

What a monopoly if the same company holds the brand and generic market

Check your Private Messages

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

They did something similar for asthma medication as well. When the environmental activists went through and made sure CFC's were banned as a propellant for inhalers, they switched to HFA's, which don't work as well and some asthmatics (raises hand) have a reaction to them. Also, new patent, that the Big Pharma can charge waaayyyy more for.

So my normal inhaler that cost about 25 bucks (5 dollars with insurance) out of pocket and worked very well is exchanged for one that costs about $500.00 out of pocket ($50.00 with insurance), and takes a special letter to the insurance company from my physician to get renewed.

I'm sorry that you are running into this. Big Pharma and the insurance industries root around for profit any way they can and patients suffer and even die.

new topics

top topics

join