It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Boy Who Dubbed Tumor 'Frank' Cancer-Free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
David Dingman-Grover, who named his grapefruit-sized brain tumor, medically known as a rhabdomyosarcoma, "Frank," after Frankenstein's monster, and whose mother auctioned "Frank must die!" bumper stickers on ebay to help pay his medical expenses, has been declared cancer-free. David was diagnosed with the tumor in 2003, but its size and location prevented surgeons from removing it. After chemotherapy shrank the tumor to a more manageable size, the boy needed a very expensive biopsy procedure to determine if the tumor was still malignant. Publicity about the case led many to donate to David's cause and a surgeon performed the biopsy for free.

abcnews.go.com
A 9-year-old boy who nicknamed his brain tumor "Frank" and whose mother launched an online auction to help pay for his medical bills is now cancer-free, his mother said Tuesday.

"Frank is dead!" an elated Tiffini Dingman-Grover said by telephone from her Sterling home as the family prepared to head to a press conference in Washington, D.C.

had most of his tumor removed Feb. 2 at the Skull Base Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. The family learned the results of a biopsy on the tumor at midnight Monday. The family was crowded around the phone on "pins and needles" waiting for the call from David's surgeon, his mother said.

"(David) is so mellow he's so easygoing. He was just like, 'Really? Great! Cool!'" Dingman-Grover said of her son's reaction to the good news. "It's like, 'Honey, is that all?' He says, 'Did you ever think it wouldn't be gone?'"

David was diagnosed in May 2003 with a grapefruit-sized malignant brain tumor called a rhabdomyosarcoma, which was causing blindness and headaches.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of course, this is a heartwarming story of survival and the incredible resilience of the human spirit. I have always been amazed at the maturity that very ill children are capable of demonstrating. Truly, this family deserves our respect for not letting this horrible disease conquer them. They took on the daunting task of raising money and awareness to meet the challenges of their predicament and they overcame. That's way more than just commendable.

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
msnbc.msn.com
www.cnn.com
health.yahoo.com

[edit on 05/2/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Its great to hear that. I saw them on TV a few days ago

Me and my oldest boy wanted two of the "Frank must Die"T-Shirts, do the still sell them?

Amuk (Frank Sr. and son Frank Jr.)

[edit on 15-2-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Great story.

Too many bad things like this are happening to too many good people. It's encouraging to hear about someone who came out okay.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Story like this make you thank the American people for their good hart.

We are truly a nation of helping compashioned people at least most of it.

I am not a fan of E-bay but things like this does make the site worth it.

top topics

join