It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead goose falls from sky, knocks hunter unconscious

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of hunting animals for sport. If you are starving and there are no supermarkets for thousands of miles, then, if your life depends on it and you have no other options, go ahead and do what you have to do to survive. One hunter in Maryland, apparently got more than he bargained for while out hunting waterfowl:

SOURCE

A dead goose fell from the sky and knocked a 51-year-old hunter unconscious on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The incident happened around 5 p.m. Thursday in Easton, Maryland, near the Miles River. Robert Meilhammer, of Crapo, Maryland, was hunting with three others for waterfowl when someone in the group fired on a flock of Canada geese overhead. One of the geese fell and hit Meilhammer, knocking him out and causing head and facial injuries, according to Candy Thomson, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Natural Resources Police. Natural Resources police officers, local sheriff deputies and EMS responders transported Meilhammer by ambulance to an airport and airlifted him to a shock trauma unit.

When Meilhammer came to, he knew who he was but "little else," said a Natural Resources police officer. Emergency responders with Talbot County described Meilhammer's head injury as "severe." The dead goose also knocked out two of his teeth. Attempts to reach Meilhammer were unsuccessful. Canada geese can weigh about 12 pounds and have a wing span reaching up to six feet. In Maryland, there are two types of geese: migratory geese, which fly north in the spring to breed; and resident geese, which are sometimes called "golf course geese," that live in the area year-round.

I hope he will think twice before going hunting again!

edit on 222018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Sounds like you just don't like to get your hands dirty animals raised for slaughter have it much worse.

Saw grackle fall out the sky hit the ground get up shake itself off aND fly away falling dead out the sky is a new lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Sounds like you just don't like to get your hands dirty animals raised for slaughter have it much worse.

Saw grackle fall out the sky hit the ground get up shake itself off aND fly away falling dead out the sky is a new lol.

Actually, I don't consume animal products at all partially due to the reason you mention. I have been on a 3 week survival trip in the Utah desert in the winter, ate a lizard caught in a dead-fall trap, but that was many moons ago and I was starving.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Gonna have to say oh well for him, just a consequence of the process. Live by the sword be injured by it's victim. Similar with when a deer hunter is mauled by a buck.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I'm not a fan of hunting animals for sport. If you are starving and there are no supermarkets for thousands of miles, then, if your life depends on it and you have no other options, go ahead and do what you have to do to survive. One hunter in Maryland, apparently got more than he bargained for while out hunting waterfowl:

Right, this is where we go to get meat so we know, for sure no animals get killed so we can eat high protein nutritious food.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Robert Meilhammer, of Crapo, Maryland

Crapo , my kinda town

Good for the goose , direct retribution.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I bet it was delicious.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
So, with his last dying breath, the goose targeted one of the hunters and tried to take him out. I think that the goose should get a presidential metal of honor. It is about time they fight back.

I shot a quarter mile across a pond at a goose with a twenty two magnum on a over and under shotgun and hit it with one shot. Hunters hiding around the lake all stood up when I did that, we jumped into the truck and took off, The hunters probably thought I was a great shot and wondered what kind of gun I had. I think I was just a whole lot of lucky. Hopefully one of those hunters had a dog to get that goose, I didn't even have a duck stamp on my license, I never thought I would hit it, I never saw any hunters either, I am glad I did not hit anyone. I never shot at anything on a pond with a rifle during the duck and goose season again, I just used a shotgun. When I went back to town I got my duck stamp, just in case there was a game warden out there and he came to visit.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A couple of years ago my daughter hit a pheasant on a back road and it ended up getting caught in the grill of her car. She called me on her cell phone crying hysterically because she loves animals. Two guys came out of a nearby house wondering what she was crying about. They removed the pheasant from the grill and than asked her if she didn't mind them taking the bird home so they could cook it for dinner that night!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Why were they shooting at the Royal Canadian Air Force?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think its sad if a hunter say kills a deer only for its antlers or something like that.

But in defense of (I would imagine) most hunters, I think most of them eat what they hunt no?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Well, they got a goose, anyway.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Seattle, my sons friend just spent many weeks in the Utah desert in Outward Bound; he is in boarding school now in Montana. His friend called one night in between OB and Montana and we talked for almost an hour. Pretty amazing stuff out there. He was pretty hungry too

Anyways how ironic is the goose

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I hunt and fish, but not for trophy, simply for my family's meat. After many years in the woods and waters, I've had a few interesting encounters. I'll not go hyperbolic here, but share one story.

Went into the woods at about 4:30pm in December, about 5°f temperature. Temp climbed as the morning came on, and the temp rose to about 20.

I raised up on a whitetail doe, and fired. Down she goes, and I proceed to walk to her. I do my usual couple minutes of prayer of thanks and go about starting to field dress the doe.
Unbeknownst to me , she was unconscious, not dead.
As soon as I grabbed her skin on the inner thigh to start the cut, she comes to- and kicked me dead in the top of forehead.
Knocked me out cold, and when I came to, had a very sore head with a nifty gash.

Couldn't say anything bad about the poor girl, as I got a taste of my own medicine.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I’m a hunter, and don’t agree w/ your stance against hunting,
However,
I got a laugh out of this story.
Kind of poetic.
S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Seattle, my sons friend just spent many weeks in the Utah desert in Outward Bound; he is in boarding school now in Montana. His friend called one night in between OB and Montana and we talked for almost an hour. Pretty amazing stuff out there. He was pretty hungry too

Probably a similar adventure to my own. It was called "School of Urban Wilderness & Survival", and lasted about 3 weeks in the Escalante Canyon area. At first, it was like torture and I hated everything about it. All I could think of was food. People don't realize what they will do to fill their belly after just a few days without. It's kinda scary. Fortunately, we didn't resort to cannibalism, but I did have to veer from my veganism vows. Now I look back on that time and am grateful for the experience it gave me, I began to appreciate what I had and some other things lost their value. I hope your son's friend will find balance in his life!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

All I want to say is......GOOD. Karma is a b!tch.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Here`s the thing that I never understood about hunting,isn`t it a lot cheaper to just go to a store and buy a duck then it is to go out and hunt them?

you have to kill and eat a whole lot of ducks before you break even on the cost of a hunting trip.

you need to buy:
a gun
ammo
a hunting license
gas for your truck to get to the hunting spot and back home
a dog that's trained to retrieve the dead ducks
a dog license and food for the dog
insulated hunting clothes
food and drinks for youself
etc

not to mention the time it takes to get there, sit around waiting for the ducks etc. If you spent that time working you could make enough money to buy 20 ducks at a store.

edit on 3-2-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

originally posted by: KTemplar

Probably a similar adventure to my own. It was called "School of Urban Wilderness & Survival", and lasted about 3 weeks in the Escalante Canyon area. At first, it was like torture and I hated everything about it. All I could think of was food. People don't realize what they will do to fill their belly after just a few days without. It's kinda scary. Fortunately, we didn't resort to cannibalism, but I did have to veer from my veganism vows. Now I look back on that time and am grateful for the experience it gave me, I began to appreciate what I had and some other things lost their value. I hope your son's friend will find balance in his life!

Me too! He’s a great kid, and it already sounds like he’s matured quite a bit. He respected the Army counselor the most, and he’s learned some great survival skills. He has great adopted parents, they are both doctors and would do whatever they could to get him on the right track.

I guarantee he’ll look back on it and be grateful he went.

Wish I could afford it for my son.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Canadian geese are occasionally-flying cockroaches that should be blasted on site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join