It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World’s First Graphene Battery Power Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Apollo is the world’s first graphene battery power bank. It is the world’s first portable power pack using graphene composite battery and USB C PD technology. It supports up to charge at 60W, which means the battery with capacity of 6000mAh can be fully charged in 20 minutes or so if using the USB-C 60W Adapter. Graphene batteries have five times the energy density of the best Li-Ion battery. By using graphene composite material, Apollo offers better conductivity and less internal resistance, making it safer and less hot. With Apollo’s Ultra-Fast Graphene Power Pack, you can quickly charge your device in a matter of minutes.

Apollo’s Anywatt adapter works with your old laptop chargers or MagSafe adapters chargers.

techstartups.com, Feb. 1, 2018 - This startup created the world’s first graphene battery power bank.

First, this does not go in your phone or replace your battery! This is a power pack that you plug your phone into. That tech has been around a while and I have one that I charge up when weather takes a turn because you never know how long your power will be out.

What makes this "world's first"?? It is that this power pack is made with a graphene composite battery. That means the pack itself charges faster and does not heat up. Why? Because of the "wonder material" graphene. Graphene is a form of carbon (the technical term is "allotrope") that is "atomically thin" meaning it is made of a single layer of carbon that connects with other carbon molecules in a hexagonal pattern.

The technology is not there to make sheets of this graphene stuff but they can make flakes (called "platelets") in several forms. The easiest is "graphene oxide" (GO, if you look up articles) which does not have the "wonder material" properties of graphene so they can chemically (or lasers... even heard of using a microwave oven!) remove some of the oxygen to make "reduced graphene oxide" (rGO, out in the wild). Which ever one they are using (graphene, GO, rGO), makes up a small percentage of the battery (typically, they are boosting lithium ion batteries). The carbon product keeps lithium tendrils from forming which cause the whole "explode in your pocket or catch fire" issues. Graphene is also a good conductor. Since it is atomically thin it also has a larger surface area. Those properties are what they are boasting about ("five times the energy density").

Check out the price (indiegogo.com): US $ 59 + S&H.

ETA clarity - The price above is for the low end pack. The one described in OP is actually US$89

It is about d@mn time somebody came out with one! Zap&Go is still kind of a vapor-ware product. Apollo has already met their startup goals. They seem to be reasonably priced which is always a bonus!

ETA: The power pack itself has at least a 10,000 cycle life! YAY!

Welcome to your new graphene futures!!

edit on 2-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: reading the fine print helps

edit on 2-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarification

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like little dinky things on IndieGoGo. There were these cool shoelace replacements I now use on like all of my shoes and are comfy as heck and are now on Amazon too.

The tech stuff all seems to enter some kind of eternal production damnation and go nowhere while sucking up all the funding and requiring more for unforeseen material costs or some other variety of production hiccup they never imagined when thousands of people suddenly expected their product.

When this is available on a reliable source I will trust it, and probably sing the praises of the technology, getting that much of a charge that quickly with none of the excess heat sound phenomenal. Why is this not entering our phones, like, now? I get the feeling the big tech companies know this will take a while to mass produce. Sounds great but I don't see this for a few more years in reality.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

They are estimating a shipping date in May!

The "product damnation hole" is especially fond of graphene! They had (have?? Still have??!) a graphene light bulb that consumes less electricity, brighter than LED, more "white light" than LEDs, etc., but the whole thing came crashing down as the business partnership split with one moving to Hong Kong threatening to flood the market should their partner ever release their product.

How messed up is that? Meanwhile we keep flooding the planet because we are using the wrong technology to keep the lights on!

I hope this is the first "world's first" announcement concerning graphene this year!!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
WHy not replacement batteries for -everything- instead of only as a 'powerpack'?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I know, right?

My guess is something legal. Like why Apple makes it a pain to replace their batteries (threats of "voided warranty" and what have you). Maybe product infringement. That would be my guess.

Plus it is also easier to make an adapter than umpteen different size batteries.

But when it is proven and demonstrated technology, like around Christmas when everybody will want one, phone manufactures will probably change their tune!

ETA: I wonder what a site like hackaday will do with these! Like trick out a Tesla!

edit on 2-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: I had a thought cross my mind!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
laptopmag.com - 20 Awesomely Weird USB Gadgets.

The flying T-Rex would too much fun! I think I'll skip the USB-powered Pet Rock though.

Why not replace the batteries in a drone?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Another triumph of British ingenuity.

Manchester, the home of Graphene

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: maxey

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I know, right?

My guess is something legal. Like why Apple makes it a pain to replace their batteries (threats of "voided warranty" and what have you). Maybe product infringement. That would be my guess.

Plus it is also easier to make an adapter than umpteen different size batteries.

But when it is proven and demonstrated technology, like around Christmas when everybody will want one, phone manufactures will probably change their tune!

ETA: I wonder what a site like hackaday will do with these! Like trick out a Tesla!

WHy? The inventor or the lithium battery is working on a glass/hybrid battery that is to be used in alot of applications. They want to see how strong it will be.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have been reading about the Apollo power pack.

Back in December a tech blurb said they would "be shipping in March 2018". This announcement says, "May 2018".

That is kind of what happened to Zap&Go too. They kept pushing back the date until now, you go to their website and sign up for a mailing list.

Fingers crossed this pans out!

a reply to: yuppa

He made that announcement, what, a year ago? And nothing. No word on if it makes them better. Plus he is like 94 or something! He deserves a good retirement! Not adding fiberglass to batteries like Wile E. Coyote!!

Give some other white coat lab rat some bench time to work out lithium glass batteries!

I almost did not post this thread as it has the word "graphene" and "battery" in the headline! Over on the Graphene Mega Thread, there are several "announcements" of "graphene battery!" that go nowhere fast. In fact, I've even quipped that "until I hold one in my grubby little hand" that I would not post "battery" announcements anymore on more than one occasion. Looks like I had low blood sugar something...
edit on 2-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tag on reply

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It's ok, we all get excited sometimes...

People are home brewing their own graphene supercap power packs though just so you know, and you can read about this on hackaday. Or was it 3ders.org ?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Wow this is fantastic. Imagine how much smaller electric car batteries could get.

new topics

top topics

join