It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 = bad movie year. Where is my war and action movies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
2018 = bad movie year. Where is my war and action movies?

www.movieinsider.com...

Fk you Marvel. We all know Disney has already ruined star wars. Now its going to ruin the movie industry. Need to slow down on your dam Superhero movies.

All the action actor are doing Marvel movies this year. Not a single original good action movie except Mission Impossible 6. Even Warner Bros. isn't that stupid. I kind of wish original actors stop doing marvel movies and go back to normal action movies. This is like Bioware constantly making dragon age games and abandoning their original games.

None of the war movies are all time good because they are those crappy middle eastern conflict and boring as hell like 12 Strong. No one cares. Give us back something like Commando, Conan the Barbarian(waiting for Conan the Conqueror), Demolition man, etc.

I don't see a single good comedy movie either(waiting for Super troopers 2). Every movie lost its sense of good story line with fast pacing and comedy style like Jackie Chan. Th new directors need to learn from Asia like John Woo films or the 90's films. Action movies have been an all time low due to immense CGI and lack of stylish format. The only movie that had that I have saw was The man from UNCLE. Hoping a sequel will be made due to poor box office against 007.

Why do you think John Wick was the only good action movie in this time? Everyone seems to lost their sense of soul on making movies and trying to make them as dark and informative as possible. I remember when Downey Jr. was in Kiss Kiss Bang bang. There is no reason to remake 90's action movies because no one wants that. They are 100% fine. People need to take some formats from the 90's and make their own films.

Don't get me started with crappy book movies.
edit on 1-2-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on Thu Feb 1 2018 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

did you not see thor: ragnarok? it was great

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for 'Eraserhead 2.'

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

People need to take some formats from the 90's and make their own films.

Good advice and...

We are. Technology has changed everything. Feature length film making is now a kitchen table enterprise with gear you can buy at Walmart and Lowes.

If you have a story to tell start with this....www.celtx.com...

Here's a trailer to one of ours.

edit on 1-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Superduperactionhero comic book genre come of tinsel town age. Theres a reason why supermen was created. It was to bolster the idea that America was superduper exocetionaalistically first world great and entitled to tell the rest of the world how to run its business.

Pitches 25 cent comic over shoulder.

You want a really good war move? Castle Keep

Catch22

Murphys War

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I mostly agree with you. I liked the Thor movies, but I am so sick of all the other super hero movies. What happened to movies like Platoon or Saving Private Ryan?

Everything now is just watered down PC bull crap and blatant social engineering. I want some edgy, offensive movies like Porkys, lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Why you only look to the big studios for movies worth watching?

Here's a few I played recently that most probably didnt notice yet:

FREE FIRE (2017)

KILL SWITCH (2017)

BLACK BUTTERFLY (2017)

Also highly recommend you check in with Magnet Releasing / Magnolia Pictures a good few times a year and see what they're up to:
www.magnetreleasingfilms.com...
www.magnoliapictures.com...

They released stateside perhaps the most epic action war movie ever:
RED CLIFF

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The new Star Wars movies are just fine...

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The live cable news etc. have made war too real. With all the very violent and realistic war videos/computer games, it's a pretty saturated area.

Not to mention or cause any angry responses, but women mostly hate war movies. Somehow fantacizing about real horrible maiming and death is not our idea of entertainment.

We will admit that staring at either Hemsworth of Keanu for a couple of hours (as long as their pretty bodies and faces are not touched) is a maybe.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

The new Star Wars was just Frozen for boys.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Dunkirk was pretty good. And if you haven't seen Fury (2014), I recommend it. Here's some of the (mostly big budget) flicks that thought were were good/decent:

Comic based:

Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy II
Spider-man Homecoming (I thought it was the best of all the Spider-man movies)
Atomic Blonde
Wonder Woman

Action (not comic):

John Wick 2
The Foreigner

Sci-fi/Fantasy:

Blade Runner 2049
Kong: Skull Island
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
War for the Planet of the Apes
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Horror/black comedy/Sci-fi Horror:

Get Out
Alien Covenant
Life
It
The Babysitter
Mom and Dad

I haven't seen the new Star Wars, Jumanji or Shape of Water. There was a Transformers movie but they're kinda meh. There was Jigsaw but I personally think the Saw franchise is garbage (yeah, I watched the new Transformers and Jigsaw anyway). What else? Bye Bye Man and Annabelle Creation weren't terrible.

You know what it was a really bad year for? Comedy movies.
edit on 2018-2-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Why do you think John Wick was the only good action movie in this time?

This is just in my opinion.
I met Chad [Stahelski] (director of John Wick I & II) back in the late 1990's, when he was still doing stuntwork and quietly considering going in the direction of becoming a director. He didn't want to just jump into directing, but to study directing for years, to see if that was right for him. Many stunt people that I'd known considered Chad to be ace in stunts, as well as having a great understanding of camera angles. When I met him, he was a very humble person and I believe he still is. I'd not known him to be a glory-hog. Meaning when on a project, wears one hat i.e. when he is director, he only directs... not when on a project to direct, act, stunts and as much as possible. That is how I knew him to be.

Anyways, with John Wick I & II, Chad brought close to 20yrs of stunt experience (and/or 2nd unit director, which a lot of the times films the action), as well as his years of studying how to be a director, learning how to work with performers and being humble. He knows what will sell (not $$, but meaning show the action well in the shot). From how I knew him, he was never about going wherever offered him the most $$; he went where felt he could do the best job for that project, even if it paid significantly less.

That is why I think John Wick did well. I'm not kissing his butt or anything; I knew him to be a kind and humble person and I'd never personally heard anyone speak ill of him. He is passionate about his line of work and I'd never known money to be his motivator.

Although I'm sure there are other action directors similar to him, I don't see many [recent] action other directors bringing that type of hands-on experience to the table in action films.

edit on 2018 2 2 by oldme because: Added sentence o.O

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It´s not only 2018, it began with that zombie hype years ago, which was replaced by the superhero hype.
The best new movie i watched since years was Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Because the movie has a good story that makes sense, the actors are credible, no superheroes and no CGI explosions every ten seconds. And it was not hyped to the big, grey consumer mass via neverending MSM ads, no merchandising crap, nothing of all that is needed if a movie is just a good movie. Once again Public Enemy was right with: Don´t believe the Hype!

Meanwhile most series are anyway better than these hyped Hollywood "plastic" movies like Part 462 of (insert name of any superhero and/or The Fast and the Furious xD). Yesterday i tried that last King Kong movie, although a friend warned me when it was available here, months ago. I switched off my brain and tried to take it like a stupid popcorn action movie, not looking for sense or anything like this, after i read reviews on IMDB, for example. But even then this movie was so boring and had almost nothing to do with King Kong, reminded me more to a Godzilla vs whatever movie, just awful. That´s what 90% of the hyped cinema movies are nowadays, in my opinion, just cheap CGI crap without any heart or soul, such movies can´t be called art anymore, they are just made to squeeze the last cents out of people which are willing to pay for cinemas, to watch such a crap voluntarily.

If i think back the last years, i remember some good series, but good movies... i would have to "google"(startpage) if there was a good(not an ok) movie that i watched the last years. But if a movie really was good, i would have it in my mind and wouldn´t need to "google" it. Like i never again will forget Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri anymore, for the rest of my life.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm also sad with the seeming death of action movies coming out of HK and stateside.

I'll just watch some old John Woo-Chow Yun Fat films to hold me over.

John Wick series is awesome!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
John Wick is muuuuh #, Dunkirk was pretty stellar, and for comedies:

The Disaster Artist, and anything Marvel, considering they're absolutely dominating with popcorn comedy superhero films.

Hopefully we get another Mad Max, as well. That film was awesome!

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Avengers Infinity Wars going to be boss

new topics

top topics

join