It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it foolish to dismiss religion as just superstition?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LindsayK
Well said. I came across a bit ignorant. But I actually agree entirely. Each to their own.
Cheers.

Nah, not at all. I didn't take it that way. I too come off as very 'frank' when I post. Usually I have a sideways grin when posting. The drawbacks of conversations via the internet...

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In answer to part of the op's question:
I guess I would consider myself atheist...Im certainly not religious, I find it hopeful to believe that there is anything after death other than decay...as sad as that may sound.
But I dont wish for more either.
I feel that I need to make the most of my life because its probably the only one I'll get...or remember...or understand..
even if reincarnation is true...I wont know Im having multiple life experiences..therefore I may as well just treat it as the only chance, do it the best I can..enjoy what this planet has to offer.
I understand the valuable lessons which are held in most religions, I respect those lessons and try to live up to those values as best I can...
I dont get that...I need to serve a master...I need to fear the wrath of a loving and forgiving God (who by definition, must actually be an Alien anyway) ...or I need to earn my place in a Heaven..( we live in Heaven....what this planet has to offer is unbelievable,the experiences we can share, the beauty of the environment, the awesomeness of cultural diversity, Music and the arts...Sex, love and friendship..this planet has everything, how could Heaven be anything else..we are in Heaven..enjoy while you can)
I agree, ignore the lessons of religion..at your own peril...but I dont think I need to be subservient to achieve the desired result.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Believing that eating a cracker and drinking some wine will offer you salvation is the definition of a superstition.

There are weirder possibilities out there...

Like existing in a world where there is no purpose, no reason to exist, no point in life or death.... just a fluke of possibility and living a cruel joke of a non sentient universe.

That, to me, is superstition. If I need to believe in a purpose, true or false, it's no one elses business but my own. It's not much different than simply saying...

"I tried this diet the other day. The food is delicious and I didn't gain a pound... You should check it out. It'll make you feel great about yourself".

and someone coming along and saying.... (while they're not even part of the conversation or group)

"Bull-$#*%! There is no such thing and you're an idiot for believing it... wah wah wah... stupid diets... I didn't loose anything and I tried it. You're stupid and crazy if you believe that. All those imaginary fairy carbs"!

Nothing like kicking sand in the faces of other beach goers, all for the want of blocking someone elses sun.

edit on 1-2-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Believing that eating a cracker and drinking some wine will offer you salvation is the definition of a superstition.

That is the perfect example of religion distorted.
Is not the act of eating and drinking that will save you. There is more to it.
But people do not read to understand they just read to criticize.

Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened for you.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

All you posted is just personal unverifiable belief so yep I'd dismiss that as superstitious belief as well.
Present me with some verifiable evidence to support your claims and of course I'm open to changing my logic based opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

That, to me, is superstition. If I need to believe in a purpose, true or false, it's no one elses business but my own. It's not much different than simply saying...

You can believe whatever you wish to believe I won’t stop you.

But it is by definition, superstition.
www.dictionary.com...

It sounds like you’re just a little insecure about your beliefs

edit on 2/1/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

How can a non sentient universe create sentience?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego

Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened for you.

...and be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. Just not in the way you expected it.

This happens to me all the time. Such a cruel lesson!

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

You can believe whatever you wish to believe I won’t stop you.

But it is by definition, superstition.
www.dictionary.com...

Based on someone elses description... For Christians, it's as real as the nose on your face. To be honest, I don't know anyone who believes in God that does so strictly on blind faith. There are reasons they are still there. I've turned my back on my own faith often and every single time, I've always saw something that made me aware that I was foolish. Trust me... It would feel liberating not to have any beliefs and I've tried... but with liberation comes emptiness. There is much more to it but that's where I'll leave it. I'm not here to change anyone's mind.

Though, I appreciate that you're the kind of person to let others believe what they want without judgment, at least I'll assume such.

edit on 1-2-2018 by StallionDuck because: ooops

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Exactly. That can go either way, depending on how one would label humanity. lol

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I also wanted to say

Sentience or Sapience? Your pet mouse can be sentient. I guess it all depends on how deep you want to go with that question. Unless it was rhetorical. In many ways I still agree.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Not if you understand that this is symbolic reminder that all life must "feed" on something.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You are correct that I gave no evidence...

My beliefs are based on many years of personal experience and concrete and solid evidence and because of this fact I am irrevocably without question convinced that what I said is truth.

I am a strong believer in studying people with personal experiences on a topic.

My own personal experiences on this subject have elevated my beliefs to a place where I now know VS just believe.

Imagine for just one second that God shows up at your house out of the blue one day and makes it VERY clear that not only is He alive and well, but that He has a best selling book out...

This is EXACTLY what happened to me back in 1979 and that is just one experience of many.

This is why I always suggest basing ones beliefs on personal experiences.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I stopped following my catholic faith years ago. For someone who grew-up attending a private catholic school, and was an alter boy for 3 years who attended or served mass 6 out of 7 days, it took a lot of soul searching to walk away from my religion. Over the years, I came to the realization I didn't need a religion to help me lead a life of love, respect for humanity, respect for God/Jesus, helping those less fortunate, or having a priest or a leader of a congregation who was living a much better life than most of their parishioners, preach to me. The hypocrisy I witnessed, the bible/religious contradictions, bible stories that read like fairy tales, the idea that women are expected to be subservient to men, the condemnation and judgement of people, just didn't sit right with my inner-self.

I too followed that path but not because of a non-belief in a higher power, but from the hypocrisy.

I'm kinda sorta in the same boat but I understood that it's not the belief system that's the problem, it's the people perverting it. This is one of the main reasons I just can't sit in a church, other than it putting me to sleep in less than 5 min. If I sit in a church, I become 100% judgmental as soon as I see the 'palace' before me, the gold watch, the white caddy, white suit... etc. I'd make a very bitter religious person. But again, glass houses is all I can tell myself in the end. So I'll just take the message, the lesson and try to be a better person knowing what I know and do my best to not be the person in the lesson I've learned.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

As I said, if I'm presented with some verifiable evidence I'm open to changing my opinion.
Claims of speaking to god/s is all it is, unverifiable claims.
If your belief gives you some comfort in life though I'm happy for you.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I agree with what the OP is saying.

There is quite a lot of real history in most religions books. There is great poetry. Amazing philosophical ideas. Even Scientology has some great programs to better yourself. (As reported by those that have left that religion).

As far as stories go, humans have always learned best from stories. Some of the best business books out there are in story form...think "the one minute manager" It's essential reading in most management programs, yet it's a fake story. Does it still have relevance? You betcha!
edit on 1-2-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Not if you understand that this is symbolic reminder that all life must "feed" on something.

Metaphors can still be superstition, else why participate?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Oh you WILL be, I guarantee it, it's only a matter of WHEN...

God always gives proof before He expects faith and if He sees you are seeking the truth, He will give it to you.

You speak of religion AKA 'comfort', I only speak of what I have experienced myself personally, don't confuse the two.

Wisdom is only gained through experience.

Religion will NEVER tell you the TRUTH...

God on the other hand is not religious and in fact He HATES religion which is why in the old testament He calls religious people whores.

Religion is one massive LIE that was created as a mind control weapon designed to cover up the truth about God.

The hidden agenda behind FALSE Religion is to destroy spirituality and cause people to hate God.

The Bible tells us that if we DILIGENTLY seek God, that He will reveal Himself to us. So have at it! Just say "God if you are real, SHOW ME!" Say it out loud, and be patient and DILIGENT - Do it each day diligently and persistently until He shows up. It won't be God the Father, but it will be either Jesus or an angel who will appear to you or you will hear His voice - either in your spirit or audible. He will do it in His timing, not yours, so be persistent and diligent and patient!

A guy at my school was at a convention and he went up to a girl and gave her $20, she started bursting crying.. And she said that when she woke up that she asked God "If your real someone will give me $20 today" So God can show himself in many ways. YouTube Comment

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Is it foolish to dismiss religion as just superstition?

Which religion?

Distinguish between organized religion and spirituality. Dogma, ritual and tradition are 'superstitious'.

The superstition goes, if you don't follow the dogmatic tradition and perform the rituals you are 'sinning'.

All of them really.
But for the sake of argument let's say christianity.

I can't really distinguish between the 2. I guess spirituality is religion-lite.
Kinda like agnosticism is atheism-lite.

It's good advice to avoid most sins.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Then we have some people experiencing an epiphany, while others never do, so how does one explain the manifestation of a divine or supernatural being as one's reality?

I think it's a question that is missing the point.
Whether it's mental issues or divine intervention is irrelevant for those who don't get that epiphany.

There's stories in religion that have remained relevant for many years regardless of the "truth" of it.

I think that's more powerful then personal experiences that cannot be confirmed.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join