It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grenade launcher donated to a goodwill store

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You should check this legal device out: throwflame.com...

Now THAT looks like a good time

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I was at a Goodwill one time where an officer showed up to pick up two pistols that were donated. I recall a "forgotten" marijuana stash being donated last year. People donate these things probably unknowingly or in fear they will get into trouble, feeling it's more anonymous.
edit on 1-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Nosy mothers poking thru sons closets...

Don't like this... discard that... turn that over to police... for shame, for shame.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabz228

Well if it compressed air that would also be processed as hazardous waste as well.

Spray paint cans aren't hazmat, neither are fire extinguishers. But this is 'gun related' , Law enforcement never miss an opportunity to show how 'dangerous' guns are in public hands.

And the complicit media will run with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Please don't give people advice on gun laws, you're really bad at it!

You literally said not a single correct thing in there.

1. Actual 40x46mm m203 launchers are NFA destructive devices and require the same hoops and $200 transfer tax etc as legal machine guns to buy and possess. Like a pre 86 transferrable machine gun or a suppressor they can be owned by individuals.

2. Until very recently the standard chalk practice marking rounds for the 40x46 launchers was totally uncontrolled and legal for purchase etc like any other ammo. Now though these rounds have been reclassified by ATF as destructive devices just like an actual frag or HEDP round for 40x46 launchers would be. This DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE ILLEGAL!!! it means that you must do an individual transfer nfa transfer and pay a $200 transfer tax FOR EACH ROUND! in other words, yes in theory if you own a registered DD 40x46 m203 you can in fact buy possess and fire actual grenade rounds! It will just take a bunch of paperwork , a 3-9 month wait, and a $200 transfer tax on top of whatever the cost of EACH round is (they won't be cheap if you find them but they are out there, and they can be had legally)

I won't even get into things like the "beehive adapter" round which is available and LEGAL in a registered DD M203 which looks like a machined metal 40mm grenade but is actually an adapter which has about a dozen .22lr chambers and stubby rifled inserts in it and fires all 12 rounds with a single pull of the m203 trigger! This is technically an illegal machine gun unless used in a properly registered m203.

Now there are all sorts of "37mm flare launchers" including ones that are basically exact copies of the m203 which are completely legal to launch flares chalk baton or even various crowd control rounds out of. The ammunition is also completely uncontrolled too.

Technically though there's a bunch of technicalities even with these that are for the most part ignored as long as you aren't doing anything militantly stupid.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hey, even poor people occasionally need to like totally blow something or somebody up.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Woody510

Pics or it din--- Oh...

M203

Heh, looks like a Spike's Tactical Havoc launcher

Nice device, but I doubt the one at good will is a NFA DD

These things are neat though, especially the bird bangers

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510
So a goodwill store in Tampa Florida had a grenade launcher donated to them I guess by accident. The story doesn't say what kind of launcher it was but it was also still loaded with a live grenade. st ory
Are grenade launchers legal to buy in certain states? Being from the UK I'm not entirely sure what can be bought in the states.

It was an AIRSOFT Grenade Launcher i.e. it does not shoot real grenades. AKA a TOY

It even states it under the picture, and if the sheriffs dept does not know the difference between an AIRSOFT and a real grenade launcher, they need to go back and get some remedial training.

This story seems to be blown way out of proportion.

Grim

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimmley
This story seems to be blown way out of proportion.

Welcome to 2018.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I get that, however when it is even IN the story it being an AIRSOFT, is just ridiculous...

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie
I said this

legal to buy and own with the right paperwork.

You confirmed my statement, so that was correct.

I then said explosive shells are illegal to manufacture , use, and buy. I suppose i only got 1 out of 3 right on that one, but only if you were a licensed demolition guy I guess you could make them. In this context however, in regard to regular people, no they cannot legally manufacture. What demo guy is going to be putting explosive shells together for sale?? Can you find any?? Have you seen a listing for explosive shells online?? Even storage and using them requires a very strictly controlled environment if you were to legally transfer them. Got to be 500 feet away from a residential structure, in a secured bunker etc.. etc.. if you really want to turn this into an educational class.
I was not giving anybody a crash course in how to buy explosives though, I simply said the equipment is legal. If you want to be a stickler though perhaps I should have just said "explosives are legal to own with the proper paperwork" However, I would rather they not be proliferated unless you want us to become like pre '90's North Ireland or the Middle East. I prefer to call them illegal and keep curious people with money away from the thinking of buying them up. Stick to regular fireworks people. Nothing good comes from telling people "you can buy bombs too, and here is how with the right money!"

Civilian fireworks are good enough.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimmley

It actually didn't state it was an airsoft launcher this morning when I read the story

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Damn that woman, I told her I was keeping this just in case I had to send someone some "Goodwill". Not send it to good will.😕

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
My guess is this was a 37 mm flare launcher being this was Tampa FL and a very large boating area.
My guess is some family donated it after a boating member of the family passed on not knowing what it was.

I have one of these i mounted on my AR and it makes a very intimidating combo when you have trouble with criminals in rural areas. the big bright flare coming at you will cause the need for clean underwear.

Many boater going to ports out side the US where weapons are illegal love these 37mm flare launchers because they are legal in just about every country for boat use.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

I used to work for a junk removal company. I once found an old soviet tripod artillery rocket. Just the inert inner projectile with no launcher or casings. It was still strange.

Army surplus store bought that right up.

Artists.....they have strange and heavy things.

Thats my bet. This grenade launcher belonged to a strange artist.

edit on 2 1 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
Damn that woman, I told her I was keeping this just in case I had to send someone some "Goodwill". Not send it to good will.😕

That was actually funny.

Damnitwoman whaddya gib my nader way for?

Will its good and gone now, so stop yer whynin.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Nope explosive shells are not illegal to do any of those things ...

You need the right paperwork to own and buy and the proper licensing to manufacture and sell but honestly the second two are not actually all that hard or expensive to become legal to do.

And yes I actually know where you can buy them if you actually really want some...

They're out there, hell I've physically seen and held an entire belt box load of privately owned grenades for the mark 19 the guy had sitting on a tripod in the corner of his walk in safe.

Surprised the holy living bejesus out of me.

His response: you don't even want to know how much that single box cost me!

So they're legal, they exist, you can get them, but it's crazy expensive just like even solid shot for 40mm bofors guns which people Also own and fire.

There's also some weird peculiarities etc about the laws around boomy stuff and explosive ammunition too wherein under certain physical amounts of explosive charge in each individual shot they're legal too.

My biggest point though is while far more of this stuff is legal than people think, it's a side of the hobby where whoops can very easily get you 5-15 in prison and there is absolutely NO sense of humor or grey area between legal and prison!

That can hardly be considered encouraging people to go play with this stuff Willy nilly!

However, I also believe that it's very important for people to realize that there are legal ways to do this stuff if they really really feel that need for boom in their lives!

That's the counterpoint to the whole do you want to turn this place into Belfast/Beirut don't tell anyone argument....

There's going to be a certain number of people who are going to pursue stuff like this REGARDLESS OF LEGALITY!

But

For a great majority of them, knowing that there are ways within the means and reach of a committed individual as well as the true magnitude of trouble you can get yourself in "before you've even done anything wrong" is more than enough to convince people to go the legal route!

A legal route which will btw by default expose them to and inform them of the resources out there, procedures, and etc to keep them and everyone else safe!

I guess because I don't see anything wrong with people being curious where you'd rather tell people it's illegal to be curious in the naive belief that if you just hide certain knowledge away good enough bad stuff won't happen...

This is stupid and doesn't work

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Needed: better woman and new nade launcha

Will trade straight across for one non running 1983 firebird not running, needs new tires but will throw in the cinder blocks, has t tops!

If you have extra nades will throw in my collection of white snake van Halen and motley crue mix tapes LIVE RECORDINGS off the radio.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED
It turned out this was not even in Tampa. First it was Bradenton, and then it was shipped to Sarasota. The articles were updated later in the day to reflect this was an airsoft attachment an that it was only near Tampa, and then the proper cities were mentioned.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

To be at least slightly fair here, some of the airsoft stuff these days is ridiculously real looking feeling etc!

Even worse in this case though is that one of the single biggest giveaways that something is an airsoft is often the magazines, which the m203 lacks being a single shot break action design.

The stunning levels of realism and attention to detail matching that go into even low mid tier airsoft guns these days is phenomenal and I for one think it's great, but every once in awhile you have stuff like this happen.

Which, honestly, what really happened here is a nonevent which some reporter with an anti gun agenda used to "spread the message" (induce pointless fear and divisiveness over lies and half truths) that "grenade launchers are legal in America, your neighbors may have them, anyone can get ahold of one, and anyone who supports this is a bad person whose going to get the rest of us murdered in our beds by our four year olds who have toddled off with the neighbors f***ing GRENADE LAUNCHER!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join