It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech in the UK Gets Worse

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

An idea has no substance physically but can affect humans, just like words.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: ScepticScot

No I don't agree. And that wasn't you said.

I'll ask the question again. Do you believe in any legal restrictions on speech?

I'm a free speech absolutist. I believe in no restrictions, only more speech.

Do you believe words can affect human beings?

Of course words affect human beings.

Thank you for answering my question. I hope you don't mind if we examine that position.

Should someone be allowed to stand outside a school playground shouting explicit description of sex acts at children?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

How do they affect humans if they have no substance?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

A human is an object. So words can affect objects. That's called sorcery.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

How do they affect humans if they have no substance?

You are talking as if humans are robots without emotion. Words affect our frame of mind, our emotional wellbeing. That is how words affect us.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Still avoiding questions with nonsense.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

You are talking as if humans are robots without emotion. Words affect our frame of mind, our emotional wellbeing. That is how words affect us.

Your emotions, your mind, are a product and result of your biology, your chemistry, not words.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

So what we are doing here is sorcery then? You and I are responding to each other because we disagree, so if words have no affect then you or I wouldn't respond!

link   

Your emotions, your mind, are a product and result of your biology, your chemistry, not words.

How you react to words is the product of your biology and upbringing.

link   

You claim words cannot move objects, you claim words affect objects. Just trying to deal with your internal contradictions here.

As for your question, yes, everyone should be able to speak, even the ones who exist in your little hypotheticals.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

How you react to words is the product of your biology and upbringing.

Exactly. But others want to blame the words.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Homo sapiens and communication go hand in hand, we are not seprate objects, you can't have one without the other. Words cause actions, it's as simple as that.

edit on 2-2-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You claim words cannot move objects, you claim words affect objects. Just trying to deal with your internal contradictions here.

As for your question, yes, everyone should be able to speak, even the ones who exist in your little hypotheticals.

No I stated word affect human beings, not they affect objects. Thoughts and emotions.

I am glad you have confirmed that you defend the right of perverts to verbally threaten children. It allows people to properly evaluate your position.
edit on 2-2-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

No I stated word affect human beings, not they affect objects. Thoughts and emotions.

Humans are objects.

I am glad you have confirmed that you defend th right perverts to verbally threaten children. It allows people to properly evaluate your position.

The pervert you imagined in your head? Glad I could help.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Homo sapiens and communication go hand in hand, we are not seprate objects, you can't have one without the other. Words cause actions, it's as simple as that.

No, it's much more complicated than that. Words do not cause actions. You cause your own actions. No one but you controls your motor cortex.
edit on 2-2-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Humans are objects.

I am glad you have confirmed that you defend th right perverts to verbally threaten children. It allows people to properly evaluate your position.

The pervert you imagined in your head? Glad I could help.

Explain how your thought process is an object?

Do you think there are no such things as perverts.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Human beings are objects. I thought we were talking about human beings here, and not your folk psychology.

No, I just think your hypothetical scenarios have little bearing on the real world.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Human beings are objects. I thought we were talking about human beings here, and not your folk psychology.

No, I just think your hypothetical scenarios have little bearing on the real world.

I think you struggle to find a sociologist, psychiatrist or health professional who would agree with you so the "folk" position here is yours.

You believe that people should be allowed to say whatever they want with complete freedom and will support child abuse to maintain that position. I think that has a very real bearing on your position.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

No, it's much more complicated than that. Words do not cause actions. You cause your own actions. No one but you controls your motor cortex.

That is utter hogwash, history is scattered with words that have caused all matter of actions, be it war, love or anything in-between. Words and language are a part of humanity, not something separate as you seem to think.

Without words, without writing and without books there would be no history, there could be no concept of humanity.
Hermann Hesse

edit on 2-2-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
Buddha

Pick any great thinker, politician, or tyyrant, without words they are nobody without any influnce.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join