It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lima, Peru???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have to travel to Lima, Peru (from the US) in the coming months for business. I would like to learn a little bit about the local customs and culture before going (both good and bad). I won't be there long (roughly a week), and I probably won't have time to do any real exploring or excursions, but I would like to experience some of life in Peru while there if possible. I will likely have to return several times over the next couple years, and at one point I'd like to extend at least one of these business trips into a more exploratory / cultural / photographic one.

Background: I have an extensive traveling background with over 10's of millions of miles and have pretty much been all over the globe. I'd have to pull my passports, but I've probably been in 35-40 countries in the past 25 years. However, I've never actually gone to Peru, though I've always wanted to (more for vacation than work, but sometimes that's how it goes). The point here being, I'm not a noob when it comes to international travel.

I'm pretty fluent in Spanish, but I understand the spoken language in Peru is a cross between Castillian Spanish, South American Spanish and Portuguese. Almost like a 'pigin' Spanish. So, I'm not sure how I will fare in the conversational Spanish realm.

Just some general information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
edit on 1/31/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
There must be some ancient ruins around there. I like looking at ancient buildings.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Stay in tourist areas only while in Lima. Unless you have a few days free for travel to Cuzco, i would just enjoy the tourist spots and get out when the plane comes in.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Friends had their honeymoon there last year and loved it. He speaks perfect Spanish and said he had no problems communicating.

You like your food so I wondered what spicy foods they have. Not much by the look of it. Here are some of the best/popular dishes. The Lomo Saltado looks potentially delicious and is served in snack bars as well as high-end restaurants. It isn't travelling without trying at least one local dish.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

This is going to sound super weird, but it is useful: there's a tissue issue!

Toilet paper is not included.

Yeah. That is a thing. You might even experience TP not being included in your hotel room. That is not to say that you cannot get TP, you just have to pay for it, however, if one is not prepared and release it in time, then we have the tissue issue.

So my advice is: Keep small change around, you might suddenly need it.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

It's summer now in Peru. Once in Lima, I'd start with Miraflores, beautiful district and tourists all over.

Also go to Caral, ruins of an ancient civilization. Very close to Lima.

Stay away from street food.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I'll probably be everywhere BUT tourist areas while there (except for maybe the hotel, which will be by the airport).

In any case, probably good advice in general.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Thanks. Yeah, from my travels all over Asia I'm totally familiar with differences in the whole toilet experience, and I have read about some of the peculiarities of Lima as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Great. I'll look into those.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I am looking forward to the food.

I'm a food nut when it comes to cultural food! Fortunately, most of my colleagues are too, and they're already there so hopefully we should have some pretty good intel in this department.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Trueman

Great. I'll look into those.

Don't forget to try the coca leaf tea.

new topics

top topics

join