It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery as three huge steel spheres fall from sky leaving thousands terrified

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Titanium alloy. Melting point somewhere about 1700°C.

Also a first stage of a rocket separates maybe at about 80 km and Mach 10 (it depends on the mission of course). So it is not that extreme as orbital reentry.

I think they've been cases where even carbon fiber wrapped tanks came down intact.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Crikey - I'm sure some of the Christmas puddings I was offered last would have survived. And they're spherical! lol

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

hydrazine or other fuel ball. i wouldn't be going near one at all. if it had some kind of hydrazine in it you would be having a very bad day unless you had a hydrazine space suite

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: onehuman

What the hell are they made out of! How are they not pancakes?

Wow. Even if man made, thats impressive.

Hydrazine fuel tanks made from high-quality Titanium. Designed to withstand high internal pressure and external vacuum, extreme cold and extreme heat, radiation.

There is a perforated stand pipe inside that goes from end to end. Internally the fuel is kept inside a bladder surrounding this stand pipe and pressurised gas is between the fuel tank and bladder. So each fuel tank is like a giant titanium football.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

people wonder why we ha to take out that sat with simi full tanks with a SM-3. other than being a cool trick it could have done alot of damage

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It is not hydrazine! It is Rogaine!!

Growing hair is space is easier, which is why they look like metal spheres (all the hair burnt up during re-entry). In low earth orbit, hair grows abundantly fast. Add some Rogaine to the picture... well, I'm sure xkcd will have a graphic showing how it all works!

The certainly informed me of "fruit colliders" the other day!!

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They are worth a lot of money because of the titanium, so even if it lands on your property you don't get to keep them.

edit on 1-2-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I've seen some fruitcakes that could be used as heat shields.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thors testicles.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here is another report on "metal spheres" on ATS: "5 UFO's crashland in China, entire area locked down by military with pics", which was sorted out to titanium fuel tanks by none other than Jim Oberg (post).

I also handed out a star to Phage for correctly pointing out that were not "flying" objects but "falling" objects!

Pretty nice trip down memory lane! I thought there was one report of metal spheres associated with a "floating city" (Africa, IIRC), but only found the China and Dubai threads on "floating cities" (another fun trip as well).

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I thought it would be titanium. I want one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join