It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super fast moving Supermoon - anyone else see this?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink
a reply to: ArMaP

I know what I saw, and my 14 year old daughter, she asked why it was moving that way. The clouds were not moving in any way to give that illusion, one which I have seen before. I tried to hold the camera still after I zoomed in on the longer video so you can actually see the moon go out of shot and get a better perspective. I have two more short videos will try upload them too maybe it will make them clearer.

I've watched your footage several times. I'll admit it does look strange, but the clouds are definitely moving, and the angle and lighting in the whole video looks really sort of otherworldly...beautiful, actually. I really think it's an optical illusion, though.

I'm sure it looked far more dramatic to your eye than to us observing a video. And because it was so amazing to you then, you still see it when you look at the footage.

I don't think people are trying to tell you what you saw. But you are asking for input, and they're telling you what they are able to see, through their own eyes. More videos are not going to change that. You simply see something in a way that others do not.

Does it make what you saw any less magickal or amazing? I hope not. That would be a shame.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Optical Illusion from The clouds .... But video was nice .

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I know its easy to dismiss as an illusion if you weren't there but that wouldn't explain how the moon managed to move position from being just above a tree that you can't really see on video to high up in the sky where I had to crane my neck back to look at. I just wish I'd kept filming to show how much it moved position!

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It is an illusion due to the proximity of the Moon (or Sun) being close to a visible point of reference (the horizon; a tree; a mountain etc). Nothing more than that.
edit on 1-2-2018 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: daftpink

It does look like that when strong winds blow the clouds across it. I've seen the same illusion and it's usually when I'm pissed up which is pretty much all the time...

I tried to even see the moon last night, there was nothing. It just was not in my view.
I'll have to wait 19 years.

(funny they say it's a once in a life time event? for who, people who live only 30 years?)

so I'm drinking tonight, hopefully following your advice, I'll see it.. wont be red or special, but I just might see 2 of them !!

OP; my first thought was it's the clouds moving, along with the moon rising, making it appear to move faster.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Also, I'm sure others would have noticed the moon moving at a faster rate than normal. Everyone was looking at it.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Kudos to OP for asking a question and providing video evidence though. If only all posters on ATS who saw weird things were so rigorous.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The clouds were also quite still, not much wind here tonight.

Yeah it says that in the description of the youtube vid as well.

However,

Watching it shows cloud movement
edit on 1-2-2018 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Occam says hello..
What is more likely:

1. A combination of normal things like clouds, position, perception created an optical illusion for you.

2. The moon raced through the sky and not one of the thousands and thousands astronomers both professional and amateur who were all looking at the moon saw the same thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Maybe it did. Some people theorize that the moon is a massive spacecraft like the Death Star in Star Wars. I would never rule it out unless proven otherwise.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

What I thought and still do is the moon was appearing to move faster than normal due to its very rare proximity to earth last night. It moved position from above the tree to a higher point in the sky. A photographer I know told me he felt the moon was moving faster than usual as he was trying to keep focused on it. It took around ten minutes to move from that position to the higer position so wasn't exactly racing but when I said it appeared to be flying it was merely because it was appearing to move faster than any other time, even at moon rise on a horizon.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

a reply to: ArMaP

I know what I saw, and my 14 year old daughter, she asked why it was moving that way. The clouds were not moving in any way to give that illusion, one which I have seen before. I tried to hold the camera still after I zoomed in on the longer video so you can actually see the moon go out of shot and get a better perspective. I have two more short videos will try upload them too maybe it will make them clearer.

In the parts of the video that the Moon was visible along with other objects in the foreground, you can see that the Moon was NOT moving fast relative to those foreground objects. It seemed to be not moving at all relative to those objects.

You can verify the Moon was not moving fast simply by measuring the distance from the streetlight to the Moon at various times in the video. Take the first video, for instance. That distance stays pretty much the same throughout the video.

The Moon usually does in fact move a noticeable amount in just a few minutes (especially if you are viewing it relative to an object in front or beside it), but in the case of this video, the only things that are noticeably moving were the clouds past the Moon.

edit on 1/2/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I think the movement of the clouds had something to do with it appearing to move faster.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I took screenshots at the start of the video and near the point before you zoom in, then measured the distance from the street light to the Moon. It hardly changes. It's definitely the clouds that are racing across the sky.

The apparent motion of the Moon across the sky is actually due to Earth's rotation on its axis, it's the same reason we see the Sun rise and set. So, no, the Earth didn't suddently spin up and then slow down. If it did, the results would be catastrophic.

Also, as someone already mentioned, when the Moon is near the horizon and is seen next to distant buildings and trees, it appears to move faster - because we have points of reference. High in the sky, there's nothing to compare the Moon's motion to, so it seems to be stationary.

Since the Earth rotates 360 degrees in 24 hours, this means the Moon moves across the sky at 15 degrees per hour, or just 0.25 degrees (half its own diameter) per minute. If fact, it's actually a tiny bit less than that, since the Moon is moving from west to east in its orbit (which takes approx 28 days for full revolution).
edit on 1-2-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I've watched your video twice and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I do have to say when I first saw the clouds around here moving fast but no ground wind it looked as if the moon was moving very fast in a direction that its not supposed to go.

If we want to go off your premise that you saw what you saw and theres no changing that.

1. The moon moves 10 of thousands of miles in one direction only to come to a hault. Im assuming high tides will be shorter and the effects of which i could not possibly fathom for the moon to do a manuver like that.

2. The moon didnt move the but the land you stand on moved. Land mass moving that quickly would have earthquakes and the very house your in would crumble to the ground. It would be the sort of thing I would feel from thousands of miles away.

3. Glitch in the matrix. Good luck trying to prove that.

Tonight go out and see if the moon is where its supposed to be. I can assure you it is. Just becusase you cant feel the wind at ground level doesnt mean there isnt wind in the sky.

Thats just my opinion and its value is what you place on it.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Also in central Scotland if you saw it everyone that could see the Moon would have seen it as others have pointed out. Plenty of good dark sky areas in and around central Scotalnd if you want a better view of the sky try to get as far from city lights a possible and with a reasonalbe camera you can get shots like this. I will have a little rant I hate vertical videos imagine watching your tv like that.

M31 the Andromeda Galaxy top right of the picture.

Our nearest neighbour

Moonrise Galloway Dark Sky Park the fat looking Star is Jupiter

The star Capella

If you get the chance the Galloway Dark Sky park on a clear winters night is worth a visit , if you do take binoculars.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You can clearly see the clouds are moving fast across the Moon in the first video. Line up the tip of a pen/pencil with the Moon near your computer screen you will see the Moon stays in the same position as the clouds race by.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If you can measure from the street lights and houses you can see that they stay still while the moon moves upwards faster than I've ever seen with the naked eye.

I can, I did, you don't believe it.

edit on 1/2/2018 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What I thought and still do is the moon was appearing to move faster than normal due to its very rare proximity to earth last night.

Being closer to Earth (although only a small fraction of the average distance, this time it was only 7% closer than average) doesn't change the apparent angular velocity of the Moon, it still takes approximately 24 hours to appear in the same place in the sky.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

I'll go for glitch in the matrix:-)
Whatever it was, it was a cool effect. Wish I'd videoed for longer!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join