It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India may Spend up to $25 billion for 3rd aircraft carrier

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The Indian Navy is moving ahead with a big-ticket proposal for acquiring its third aircraft carrier which is expected to cost around Rs 1.6 lakh crore along with the additional component of 57 fighter aircraft.

The Navy has one operational aircraft carrier in the INS Vikramaditya while another one, INS Vikrant, is under construction at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) and is expected to join service in the next few years.

“The Navy is planning to field its Rs 70,000 crore proposal before the defence ministry in near future which will cost around Rs 1.6 lakh crore at the approval stage itself along with the fighter plane component and the actual costs will go higher further as the programme moves ahead,” government sources told Mail Today.

The Navy has plans of buying 57 twin-engine fighter planes for the third aircraft carrier for which American F-18 and French Dassault Rafale are in the race.

“If one goes by the cost of the 36 Rafales acquired for the Air Force, the 57 planes are not going to cost us less than Rs 90,000-95,000 crore,” the sources said.

Citing the Chinese threat, the Navy had been asking for construction of the third nuclear powered aircraft carrier using American technology and systems which is going to be far more expensive in comparison with the existing systems.

www.indiatoday.in...

The Indian Navy definitely wants to have at least one more carrier.

It's interesting they want to base it off American carrier tech. However, it's not unexpected. Since Bush the Younger, the US has been courting the Indian Navy for tech transfers. This is, in part, to help counter China. India plus America is stronger than America alone from the American POV and the Indians wouldn't mind the tech and the ally since China has been becoming more assertive.

TBH, India ought probably go with the Rafale since they are already buying them. Introducing yet ANOTHER fighter type would be a headache. Though this is a naval aircraft rather than for their air force.

Also, I would have to say if they want to have a continuous presence or at least readiness with the carriers, they are going to need more than just another one based on the American experience.

The airwing size is also interesting: 57 aircraft. That's more than the Lizzies...

The same grumpy pants over the F-35's think the so-called Vishal class carrier is a waste of money:

warisboring.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Now if they can only find the aircraft. Heh. With their tech transfer requirement several manufacturers will bow out.
edit on 1/31/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The problem with India invading China. It is not going to work unless Indians give up Hinduism and go Buddhism. It just doesn't work. The time when India tried to conquer China and force Hinduism has never worked as much as Japan invades China and attempt to force their samurai culture. Both are equally hated. Just like how Christians beheading during box rebellion for attempting to convert all Chinese into Christianity. Religious ordeal is a major issue since colonization. No other religion is as peaceful as Buddhism or the Chinese ones. So Indian warlords can keep dreaming.
edit on 31-1-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

India has more desire to not be pushed around by China than they do to invade them. They've learned from what's been going on for the last few years.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Why do we send nations like this aid money?? There people s@it in the street and have huge poverty levels, but can afford nukes and aircraft carriers?? And we send them our tax dollars?? How about giving that money to our veterans! Come on Trump, stop this madness!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

*Tongue firmly in cheek*

F-16s off the carrier? I mean, Lockheed has been saying they are willing to build them in country, soooo....

More seriously. its another reason to get the Rafale. OTOH, if Boeing thinks the Rhino is done...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Boeing already has the designs for a state of the art F-18 line that can be expanded to more, and has handed them over to India. They would modernize their aerospace industry, which would then build indigenous designs.
edit on 1/31/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Amazing, you see little children begging on the street in India and their building aircraft carriers!

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That, I was not aware of. Thanx.

Now they are still interested in the F-35. Multiple rumors and swirls. However...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Even with giving them access to one of our carrier nuke plants, I don't see that happening in the near future. The IAF is a hell of a lot better than people give them credit for, but you don't go from MiG-21s to F-35s in one jump, no matter how modernized the -21 was.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Jeezus, you would think there are better uses for that money in India..they are barley just a step away from 3rd world country status.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

And they're not exactly surrounded by people that like them.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

But, but but they're getting the Su-57, right???? That's as good as the F-35. RIght????

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'll still be shocked as hell if they don't cancel that mess.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Well, to be fair, dealing with Indian bureaucracy is rough. OTOH, dealing with Russians...

I'm waiting to see if the 12 Su-57s get delivered as the Russians claimed this year. For themselves. Of course.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Talk about the immovable object meeting the unstoppable force.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Who is these days?
All kidding aside I'm looking into why that is.
I get your point but still think they have bigger fish to fry..ie infrastructure, poverty..etc

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Of course they do, but when you have people actively crossing your borders and shooting, fixing the roads drops slightly in priority. If you start fixing the roads and not worrying about defense, pretty soon you don't have a country left to worry about infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Who is these days?

But we LOVE our pet Canadians!!!

Everyone has problems. Everyone has infrastructure issues. Everyone has security issues, too.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

They already have a huge military, if they have border issues secure the borders, I'm not sure how aircraft carriers fix that.
I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not a military strategist, and concede carriers might have relevance to that.
I will consider and look into what you have said.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join