It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here good with art? Art on ceramics? In this case 'Caligraphy'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Just wondering if anyone here is an Arts expert in ceramics and their worth? Japanese/Chinese Caligraphy?

I bought these about 15 years ago:

Really do think this Caligraphy is excellent art but if this worth over 50k i'll sell it off. Actually handmade in China. I thought they were Japanese coz of the Geisha. Shows how much I know. ha ha.

I also know this is a forum for members artwork but just thought i'd see if anyone out there had a clue?? mods can delete if you want.

edit on CSTWed, 31 Jan 2018 12:27:53 -06000000003112x053x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I don't know enough to tell you one way or another. A picture of the bottom which is where a makers name, dates, and that sort of thing can often be found and is a big denominator in worth would be helpful.
edit on 1/31/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

I don't know enough to tell you one way or another. A picture of the bottom which is where a makers name, dates, and that sort of thing can often be found and is a big denominator in worth would be helpful.

ok... here is underside signature:

I'm going to go to arthouse in London and get them valued. Probably best.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
That signature probably just says 'made in China'.

lol

Which could mean it's not worth anything.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I don't know, but I be careful wearing anything with Chinese on it. They love seeing non-Chinese wearing Chinese tatoos that say "I dive for muff" and such. For all we know, these are the ancient symbol for "eat ordure, imperialist scum!".

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Well...i did several searches without much luck. A couple things however, it is definitely modern as something from an early Dynasty would not bear the made in China in English.

And I think they are a bit colorful for an early period. Does not mean there is or will not be some value and I will continue to look.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Cheers!

Yeah I figured the 'made in china' could well fail it in an auction.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

I doubt it says that but cheers for your reply.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
IMO by looking at the pictures, due to vivid colors, assumed transfer print and more modern looking designs they are not antiques. That's without seeing the Made in China, which is also a modern looking print.

Antique wise: The key marking to look for is Occupied Japan as well as markings in Japanese.

Pretty however, and would be interested in seeing the update if they turn out to be of value, with the look alone they should be worth something.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
IMO by looking at the pictures, due to vivid colors, assumed transfer print and more modern looking designs they are not antiques. That's without seeing the Made in China, which is also a modern looking print.

Antique wise: The key marking to look for is Occupied Japan as well as markings in Japanese.

Pretty however, and would be interested in seeing the update if they turn out to be of value, with the look alone they should be worth something.

Thanks1 They are very interesting and great to look at (design). Very intricate. you think they are printed on? I'm not so sure but if these are factory made then they could be i guess.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Turn it over. The worth is in the house that produced it. And you can look up the value online.
I have an antique plate that is only six inches wide that is worth $125.00. not a big deal. It's worth more to me that it's part of a collection of blue and white china and porcelains that I've been collecting since I was in my twenties. I have a lot of dishes. A set for every season and three yes three sets just for christmas. I have plates hanging on the walls in hangers and on display on shelves all around the house on plate holders. It's crazy.
Anyway the value is on the back first then on condition of the piece. Then on the art.
If the bottom says dishwasher safe feel free to use this as you want. It's pretty.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Well there ya go. A Chinese antique would not say made in China ....in english.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

If the "painted" areas are even, I'd suspect printed. Check for brush stroke textures.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Looks so good!

new topics

top topics

join