It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Trey Gowdy Will Not Seek Re-Election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy has announced that he will not be seeking re-election. He says he will be returning to the justice system. If I'm not mistaken, Gowdy is the 34th Republican member of the House to announce that he will not be seeking re-election.

I'll update with more momentarily.

EDIT:

From Gowdy on Twitter:

edit on 2018-1-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Finally, this proves that the Republican party is falling apart because of Trump.

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Finally, this proves that the Republican party is falling apart because of Trump.

More likely he is tired of being surrounded by corruption and the inability to do anything meaningful about it.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Finally this proves you're suffering from TDS....

People retire everyday.

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

He wishes to get back into criminal justice, probably sick of working in the swamp.

This is the 2nd chairman that has announced they are not seeking reelection in a week!

link   
a reply to: RickinVa

I'm actually sad to see him go. We are losing one of the few good politicians that exist.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Agreed - his moral compass seems to always point to True North (from what I've seen over the past couple of years at least)

It is a bummer...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Loomks like qanon called this one too. Ugh, now I need to look into qanon. I have no idea whats going on with that.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I heard that Trump is getting rid of Wray and putting Gowdy in his place now

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

More likely he is tired of being surrounded by corruption and the inability to do anything meaningful about it.

We can always hope he becomes the new AG or be appointed as a special prosecutor to clean things up in Washington.

edit on 31-1-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I don't know about all that. With our two-party system, it would be all but impossible for either party to completely fall apart.

It's not uncommon for the party of first term presidents to lose seats in the midterms and this one is particularly unpopular so I'm sure that's a factor in some calculations.

However, I don't think that applies to Gowdy who is one of the more popular members of Congress among Republicans and won his last election with 67% of the vote to his Democrat challenger's 31%.
edit on 2018-1-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Draining the swamp?

That is the usual response, but not this time. Or is it?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Why do lot buy into this not especially good cold reading? If he had posted that prior to Gowdy leaving the House Ethics Committee, that might mean he had some insider info.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I hope that Gowdy just retires.

As much as I may agree with him on issues, we need non partisan people appointed to positions in Justice.

We've now all seen the cluster Obama created when he put partisan people in power.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Why do lot buy into this not especially good cold reading? If he had posted that prior to Gowdy leaving the House Ethics Committee, that might mean he had some insider info.

Well the FBI needs a new number #2 and its likely the DOJ will need a new #2 as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

from where? speculation or evidence?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

from where? speculation or evidence?

Doubtful Wray is going anywhere.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
We're losing a good one.. for sure. I'm a little disappointed, however, that as recently as yesterday, his re-election campaign was still soliciting funds. I donated $25. Surely they must have known about his pending announcement. The best outcome I guess would be to have the money forwarded to the RNC for other purposes during the upcoming elections. I'm not looking for a refund, but I'd like to see something from his campaign about the intended use of the money....

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's a bit fishy he resigned from the ethics commission and then won't seek re election.

I tend to like him more than most but he was found using tax payer money for a private defense trial.

Who knows. It's an odd time to announce this I smell something fishy.

Mayne he is just sick of the cesspool.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It's entirely plausible that Gowdy could be anticipating an appointment. It's even possible that he might not serve out the rest of his term if that happens.

What I'm not understanding is why anyone takes "Q" seriously. (or why they took "White House Anon" seriously before that)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join