It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump tariffs, Chinese solar company to build U.S. factory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
money.cnn.com...

Taken from CNN of all places.

The article states:

President Trump wants Chinese solar panels firms to make more of their products in the U.S. -- and they appear to be getting the message.

A week after the Trump administration unveiled tariffs of up to 30% on imports of solar panels, one of China's biggest manufacturers announced that it plans to open a new plant in the U.S.

JinkoSolar said in a statement Monday that its board of directors had given the go-ahead to "finalize planning for the construction of an advanced solar manufacturing facility in the U.S."

Regardless of your personal feelings concerning President Trump, we should respect him for his business savvy. He made a promise to bring jobs back to America and he's keeping it. We should try to put aside political ideology and partisanship and admit that things are improving. Great times seem to be ahead for American workers. MAGA!

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

But, but oh, nevermind...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
MAGA All the way!!!! WOOHOO! The last few days have made me feel exceptionally proud that I live in America. Being patrotic because of stuff like this, bringing jobs back to the USA, making our policy about the American Citizen first.

Bring innovation home!

S+F OP
edit on 31-1-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Watch them build the factory in elpaso....lol
Wink wink.

No, this is a good thing to require companies to build something in america.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Ummm...proof that in the right hands...tariffs can be the lever that pivots the fulcrum...

No wonder the Dems had such sourpusses during the SOTU...they couldn't have cracked a smile even with a gun pointed at their pates...

The judicial use of targeted tariffs coupled with higher import fees for US based companies products that have off shored their manufacturing overseas to encourage their return...AKA Apple...etc...
Obviously also coupled with the new tax package of course...

Damn...that's not a win...win...It's a Win...Win...Win...
The President did say that we might get tired of winning at some point...I just wish the naysayers would get tired of whining...

Ah well...I guess we can't have it all...right...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Can someone enlighten me as to the biggest benefits of having a Chinese company build solar panels in America?

Here is what I've come up with:

• It's more environmental if they are selling it to America - the Global Warming folks should be grateful for the lessening of greenhouse gasses that this will result in
  • The Chinese company will need to buy (or lease) commercial real estate (hopefully from an American owner), AKA money coming into the US in one way or another
  • The Chinese company will have to pay taxes on their real property as well as their operation
  • The Chinese company will also likely need to buy insurance from an American company

Anything else?

Cons would be, this company will be competing with American companies that manufacture the solar panels. But I believe the pros outweigh the cons pretty heavily
edit on 31-1-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If I was a Democrat I would be worried about losing voters because of more jobs

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
If I was a Democrat I would be worried about losing voters because of more jobs

If I was a Democrat, I'd be worried about a lot more than that
(I'm not a Dem or a Repub though)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here is what the US industry in question thinks of the tariff.

President's Decision on Solar Tariffs is a Loss for America

The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) – the national trade association for the U.S. industry - and its members expressed disappointment in the decision by President Trump to impose 30 percent tariffs on imported solar cells and panels.

The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.

One part of very serious note...

“This is a bad day for the U.S.,” said Costa Nicolaou, president and CEO of PanelClaw, an American racking company. “What’s most disappointing is that the president sided with two foreign-owned companies and didn’t listen to Americans from across the country and political spectrum who understood tariffs will cause great economic pain for so many families in the solar sector.”

edit on 31-1-2018 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.

I wonder if this new Chinese plant will replace some of those lost jobs or loss in solar investments

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Trump is doing EXACTLY what a POTUS should be doing...putting Americans first. Imagine if he didn’t have Democrats trying to stop the American economy from exploding. They are making themselves look stupid. The American workers will remember who remembered them.

The Dems are so invested in the entitlement voters that they actually hate when good things happen for the working people of America.

MAGA

edit on 2018/1/31 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
I wonder if this new Chinese plant will replace some of those lost jobs or loss in solar investments

Not nearly enough to offset the cost of the tariff, if SEIA can be believed.

The current estimate is that the new Florida facility will end up creating 800 jobs.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

if SEIA can be believed.

Bingo.

They can’t as they are working for the other side.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't believe what SEIA is saying there probably isn't that many solar jobs in the US.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Bingo.

They can’t as they are working for the other side.

SEIA is the only part of this discussion that only represents Americans.

The remainder answer to multiple parties.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.

There are many ways to look at this. Don't we already have companies that are building here in the good ole USA? Maybe they could hire more people to take up the work load. Companies that import will remain in business. The cost doesn't seem to be prohibitive from what I've read.

But quite frankly, the SEIA figures are most likely grossly inflated and down right bunk. But here's some info that might accurately depict the situation a bit better:

Market experts estimate that the impact of the tariff in year 1 will be between $0.10 to $0.12 per watt. For a typical American homeowner, that represents only a 3% to 4% increase in the cost of a solar panel installation. (This corresponds to a recent analysis conducted by Greentech Media.)

By year 4, the tariff’s impact falls to only $0.04 to $0.05 per watt, which results in less than a 2% increase in installation costs. It is worth mentioning here that leading solar manufacturing countries like China, Taiwan and South Korea can simply reduce their export prices faster, and render obsolete any impact of the solar tariff.

news.energysage.com...

edit on 31-1-2018 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I don't believe what SEIA is saying there probably isn't that many solar jobs in the US.

I don't think SEIA's numbers are far off, if at all. They match the Solar Foundations numbers and they match the Department of Energy's numbers.

It could be a giant circle jerk, sourcing from one bad report, but it is a widely used number, and I do imagine somebody checked it with BLS at some point.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Here is what the US industry in question thinks of the tariff.

President's Decision on Solar Tariffs is a Loss for America

The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) – the national trade association for the U.S. industry - and its members expressed disappointment in the decision by President Trump to impose 30 percent tariffs on imported solar cells and panels.

The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.

One part of very serious note...

“This is a bad day for the U.S.,” said Costa Nicolaou, president and CEO of PanelClaw, an American racking company. “What’s most disappointing is that the president sided with two foreign-owned companies and didn’t listen to Americans from across the country and political spectrum who understood tariffs will cause great economic pain for so many families in the solar sector.”

How can a Chinese company building a plant here using American workers cause the loss of 23,000 Americans unless they're producing a better product? If that's the case, innovations in solar energy will habe to occur for other companies can compete. I'll do some research on the SEIA because their claim doesn't add up. Chances are, and I'm only speculating at this point but there's probably few American solar panel companies each owned by the same parent corporation worried they can't keep up with Chinese standards. Isn't that a scary thought? We ask for alternative energy and when we do something to further the cause, it becomes a negative. I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The manufacturing of solar panels here, where environmental and health regulations are better, will help the Chinese people breath easier. Those factories over there dump a lot of toxic fumes into the air, and at what they get for the panels, it is hard for them to fix the problems. Here, with the extra cost from the tax avoidance, they will be able to build the panels and be competitive yet. The thing is, the people importing these panels jack the price way up, they might increase in price only ten percent and be way better on the world ecological impact overall.

Those factories are almost all automated, it will not create a real lot of jobs, but it will create some...which is good.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

What a racist pig taking jobs from Chinese people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join