It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

from 8 year old novice to Zappa to conservatory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
pretty cool progression

could have gone in the music forum but i dont have a video of him playing right now.

so i am pretty friendly with my doctor and have been for a long time. her kids are both adults now but i first met the older one when he was about 8. he was in the office one day for no school. this was 12 years ago maybe. i remember i had a psp and i was waiting and i was watching some Frank Zappa stuff and i saw him looking over. he sat beside me and i showed him some Frank Zappa solo's and some White Stripes stuff.
next couple visits my doc said her son kept saying he wanted to watch some more music videos with that guy with all the tattoos and she said he started showing some interest in music.
she passed it on to me so i made him a bunch of cd's and i drew a picture of a guitar neck and where all the natural notes are and a few other things.

he started playing guitar but when he was a few years in he switched over to the esraj.

this is the esraj

i saw doc today and we started talking. he lives in New York now because he goes to school there. i thought he was in conservatory but today she said he has 3 auditions in 3 weeks for conservatory.
berklee
new england consevatory
toronto conservatory

i think that is super cool that this kid has taken it so far.
he has already given a couple concerts but it sure sounds like he is going to kick it up a notch.
she said when he goes on break she will get a hold of me so i can come to the office and talk to him because it has been a while.

i want to print a nice picture off an esraj so i can have him sign it and then hopefully get a picture with him cause whatever i am stupid.

i just think it is cool that when i met him he new nothing of music and for however short lived it was his introduction to music was Frank Zappa.

just a cool story i wanted to share

thanks for reading

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
random vid

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Although my personal contribution to music is null, I've influenced many to do much better in areas of performance and production. It's amazing that you had that type of connection at that particular moment. Great story, thanks.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
there is a video of him on youtube with his first esraj teacher playing a raga. i will post it later because i need to save it and reupload because the video has his name and i would rather not throw that out there.
it will take some time but i will get it on here

top topics

join