It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you be able to use food stamps for pets???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
www.tmj4.com...

I love my pets more than most humans, but I also grew up in a time where pets were seen as a true luxury and
not a need.

I also grew up in a time that we would work three jobs before accepting any kind of assistance. Have we gone so far astray from
what Food Stamps used to be, a temporary means of help, not a lifestyle, not to supplement low wage corporations, not to encourage laziness.

This is not meant to offend, but I'm older and grew up in a different time, raised by parents in a time so far removed from modern day we might as well be aliens. I think in America we have coddled people too long, people are no longer forced to make hard decisions, or to move, or to do hard things to better themselves. I think this proposed addition to food stamps is another reflection of that. I'm not trying to be cruel to animals either, if people are really on hard times and need to feed their pets, they can make whole food from their food stamps, such as fish, chicken or rice. Believe it or not, there was a time people had dogs and cats before pet food companies existed.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Hell no.
If you can't afford to feed your pet, you can't afford the proper veterinary care either.

I have seen beggers hold up signs asking for help with a dog sitting at their side.
Just trying to play on animal lovers sympathy.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You can, you just can't buy them "pet" food.
They can certainly eat "people" food, probably healthier for them anyway.
If someone wants to go hungry to feed their pet I'm ok with that.
I know I couldn't give mine up.
For the long term though if you can't afford a pet it's better off in another home.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

But did you....

Ask the animals?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The other side of that story is that the dog is the only friend/companion the homeless person has. It can also be a very good early-warning system to people living on the streets. Just a thought.
(Many shelters also euthanise animals as a matter of policy)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Th issue is not if you like your pet or can a dog help you on the streets. The issue is, should the taxpayers be obligated to feed your dog?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Again I say, hell no.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

If you give a homeless person money, do you also get to dictate what they spend it on?

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The world is hard as hell, man. If a few cents of my tax money goes to feed a dog or a cat..or a few..that make someons existence on Earth a little less miserable, I think its a good expense.

Human interaction is so disappointing. My dogs never, ever let me down. They don't give much room for intellectual growth, but they make up for it in sheer affection and emotional warmth.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Pretty obvious you can't dictate how cash is spent but food stamps are for food.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

If you give a homeless person money, do you also get to dictate what they spend it on?

This is a major issue I have.

The cash people get for welfare...its none of our business what they do with it. Just like someone with a handicap plate that skips into the store...none of your business.

None of us get to dictate how the various benefits of our society our used. Sure, we can whine about it. I do, from time to time. But for the most part, its none of my business. And I certainly don't want to take the time to make it my business.

Either you give or you don't. But giving doesn't give you a right to dictate use after the fact. Unless, obviously, it was agreed upon to begin with.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If you give a homeless person money, they can spend it on drugs, or something to eat, or feed their dog, sure. You know that when you give them that money out of your own free will.

What we are talking about is different, food stamps. We are forced to pay for this through taxes. That's where I have the problem. There are many absolute animal lovers that don't have a pet (or a child for that matter) because they are being responsible, how ironic is it for them to have to pay for someone else's pet???

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Food stamps were agreed on what they can be spent on and most charity's can and will dictate what the donation is spent on .
So if you just hand a beggar 10 $ and go no terms were made and its his business.
But if you hand a beggar 10 $ and say I ll give you 10 $ but you must spend it on food .
Now ovesly he probly just wants beer but I do believe a person can make adonation with a term applied .

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You should use your pet instead of food stamps.

Tastes like veal.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
The world is hard as hell, man. If a few cents of my tax money goes to feed a dog or a cat..or a few..that make someons existence on Earth a little less miserable, I think its a good expense.

Frankly I'd prefer to give my money to animal charities since those abandoned dogs and cats made no choice to end up the way they did.

Damn you Sarah McLachlan, that song messes me up every time now.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have many of family on a farm that do just that. My poor little cousin had a little pet piggy and when it came time to slaughter, that was hard to see but still had to be done.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Unless it's changed, the EBT program has two facets, one is food, the other is, for all intents, cash. It's to be used for "other necessities".

1) Food.

2) Other, with no definition on other. Pet food applies.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I have many of family on a farm that do just that. My poor little cousin had a little pet piggy and when it came time to slaughter, that was hard to see but still had to be done.

While bacon seeds are cute they practically don't stop growing and I personally don't get keeping them as pets.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Pigs are excellent pets:

"Pigs outperform 3-year-old human children on cognition tests and are smarter than any domestic animal, and animal experts consider them more trainable than cats or dogs."

but I agree, they still taste good!

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

I'm not giving money. I'm giving food stamps, which are a conditional grant designed especially to FEED you and nothing else. That's why they call them "food stamps." It's not intended for frivolous expenditures. That's why many things are not able to be purchased with food stamps. Like alcohol. There is nothing wrong with imposing a condition on a grant. In fact, most all grants have them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join