It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives the Christian way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
How can conservatives claim to be the christian or religious party?

I concider myself centric or moderate I guess but i often wonder how people who tend to think only of themselves and do not believe in a government sharing and spreading wealth among the populace for the better of all.

Christ taught of giving and sharing and loving yet Republicans detest social programs that enforce just that.

The areas I think Libs have it right are in things like

All Americans should get full medical coverage.

All Americans should get 4 years of colledge nearly as easy as getting the first 12 years of school.

While I believe in a strong defence I cannot see how proclaimed Christians
back a president who is all about aggressive war. (this goes against Christ teaching completely even if it is the right thing to do).

So how is it the Republicans became Christs party?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's only a matter of circumstance really. These social matters are pretty new in our history. In any case, they can be truely conservative if they believe that we live in the most charitable country in the world. We love to give, and we give more when we have more because the working support the others. Should we allow people to retain the right of their own money, then we can free the American workers to give much much more to their OWN community. Community does in fact make for better values and lower crime. Should this make a come back, I'd bet you that marriage rates would dramatically increase. The only problem is, is that they can't get that, because they have no voice in our government, let alone support.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well to propose a radical idea, I think Jesus would have been against government mandated participation is social programs through taxation. Yes know he told the young noble to sell off all his possesions and give it to the poor however IMHO the operative word is give.
You see when the government takes you money through taxes to support the poor, it is making the choice for you to do the right thing. By doing so it is taking away your abillity to choose to do the right thing.
Let me put it another way, under jewish law pork is a forbidden food, now if you are jewish and live in a place which does not seel pork you can not choose not to eat pork. You see without the option to choose wrong, you can not choose right.
Since god himself gave us free choice, I can not imagine he would approve of the government takng t away.
This BTW is also why I feel theocracies are against gods wishes.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Good post

Yes, Christ's commandments were to Christians as individuals.....

While I disagree with Bush's current foreign policy strategy, Christianity does not equal pacifism.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by XX_SicSemperTyrannis_XX
Good post

Yes, Christ's commandments were to Christians as individuals.....

While I disagree with Bush's current foreign policy strategy, Christianity does not equal pacifism.

Not a flame, but what bible are you reading. My KJ says Jesus loved all, hated none, even those who sinned against the Father. He never called "Liberals" names, never passed an oppertunity to help someone even though he owned little and most of all he never owned a gun (pick you flavor of weapon for the ere). Sound pacifist to me! I know several so called "Christians", they seem to talk about killing people a lot, doesn't sound line WJWD.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I never said anything about hating anyone.

Here is what Paul said of government:
"For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Also, many times in the Old Testament Israel is commanded to destroy evil nations, and are punished when they do not fully do so. Also, in Revelation, Christ will lead in battle against the enemies of God here on earth at the battle of Armageddon.

I'm not saying that we should fight a crusade to spread democracy. I don't think that the United States should. I am saying that in the Bible, governments are not forbidden to wage wars. Now certain wars should not be waged, such as the war that was waged by those in Bosnia in efforts to ethnically cleanse their country. There are some wars that must be fought, abd there are some that shouldn't. To me pacifism means no war, and the Bible does not teach this. Granted, war is an evil that should be avoided; however, there are certain instances where war is justified.

new topics

top topics

join