It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should undocumented immigrants attending State of the Union be arrested along with House members?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Humiliated and Suffer? Are you talking about the homeless children in America who are pushed aside for criminals by our elected government officials? Although i would be humiliated if I was somewhere illegally and took from those who needed it more than me.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No. It's authoritarian to hold an ideology that requires strict obedience to the state and does not allow for flexibility, which is what many on the Right seem to have.

There ya go people.

Intro just gave us a hall pass to ignore the ACA,gun control, and the church of climatologies BULL SNIP.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: matafuchs

Can you imagine arrests at the end of the SOTU? If they want to try to make a point we should do it right back at them.

By all means, go for it.

It would be a perfect example for US citizens to see how authoritarian the Right Wing is becoming.

Televise it and let's see it go down.

They are simply following the playbook written by democrats...

The previous administration fined people who didn't have health insurance using the IRS and you have the nerve to talk about authoritarian policies?
*sigh*
You will never learn...

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

a reply to: Black_Fox
a reply to: GuidedKill

Well then do it!

Stop talking trash like jaded teenagers and let's see you guys start putting your money where your mouths are.

You want to talk about laws and criminals being held accountable, let's see the capital police stroll in to that chamber and start arresting people.

We all know it's not going to happen, and shouldn't, and it's nothing more than delusional nonsense from the same people that think we need to arrest people in the media, etc.

Ask and ye shall receive....However seems you won't get your TV moment out of it. People will be screened prior to entering the hall....

Well, there ya go.

It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

It’s not as simple as “these are evil criminals intent on breaking the law”.

www.abc2news.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

Can you imagine arrests at the end of the SOTU? If they want to try to make a point we should do it right back at them.

By all means, go for it.

It would be a perfect example for US citizens to see how authoritarian the Right Wing is becoming.

Televise it and let's see it go down.

They are simply following the playbook written by democrats...

The previous administration fined people who didn't have health insurance using the IRS and you have the nerve to talk about authoritarian policies?
*sigh*
You will never learn...

Written by Democrats? You do know that the individual mandate, which is the idea that people had to pay a fine unless they had proper insurance, was created by the Heritage Foundation, correct? It was a Republican idea.

And it was a bad idea no matter whom implemented it.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
wow the illegals are really getting the scapegoat treatment. people are led to believe that illegals are the source of all their problems yet it seems some of you spend what amounts to a full time job worth of time on ATS would this not take away from you bettering your own life or is it still the illegals fault your life is so miserable? i thought we were gonna focus on the bad hombres, drug dealers and pedos? trump could have easily done that by emptying out the prisons and sending the illegal felons home, that would have been a great start and i would have applauded it but it seems every day i see a story of decent, law abiding citizens being targeted.

i understand that we have to confront illegal immigration but the lack of empathy from the right is sickening and i feel your anger growing like rabid dogs foaming at the mouth. how about you show some empathy and work on a compromise where we get rid of the criminals and work with the hard working, law abiding, decent folk on a pathway to citizenship?
all of this hatred towards the illegals is going to create many disillusioned, jaded "anchor babies" who will end up having a distrust of white people and especially republicans which i feel is the #1 fear of the right that the children of illegals will end up being democrats, well way to chase them to the left!!

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

In regards to the first answer in the other persons reply you made...whats the point of laws if we are going to pick and choose when to enforce them? How would you feel if you're employer didn't have to follow labor laws as they're written...or if you own a business and the government decided that for whatever reason they weren't going to enforce labor laws on your competitors but enforced them to a T on you. That is basically what you're suggesting here...and who gets the say on who and when laws will be enforced on...is it just feelings based or what...what a nightmare!

As for the second half...it is very simple. If you selectively enforce laws on some people and not others you end up with corruption and a lot of pissed off citizens when they don't get a break but the other guy does. If you don't care fine...but that in no way reflects any merit to your original statements and makes you look quite silly. If these were things that directly impacted you negatively you'd be wailing and hollering about them...in this case it doesn't but that doesn't make selective enforcement just...and certainly doesn't actual enforcement authoritarian.

Little less hyperbole in your post might be a good thing...deny ignorance and all...
edit on 30-1-2018 by RickyD because: Worded poorly...fixed for clarity

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

In regards to the first answer in the other persons reply you made...whats the point of laws if we are going to pick and choose when to enforce them?

Defeats the purpose of having congress, and law enforcement agencies.

After all it's right wing authoritarianism to have them at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I didn't characterize anyone as an "evil criminal intent on breaking the law". However , they are, in fact, breaking the law, and by definition, are criminals.

There will always be the odd exception that you can hold up and say "see, this person is being treated unfairly" but that is not necessarily an indication that this is most commonly the case.

Also, as I said previously, wantonly parading your criminality in a public forum is not a good idea, regardless of whether you feel the law is unjust or not.

That being said, after reading your link, I understand that, for some, it is not quite so clear cut. I appreciate the additional information and that is why I posed the question in my original post.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

In regards to the first answer in the other persons reply you made...whats the point of laws if we are going to pick and choose when to enforce them? How would you feel if you're employer didn't have to follow labor laws as they're written...or if you own a business and the government decided that for whatever reason they weren't going to enforce labor laws on your competitors but enforced them to a T on you.

That's not an comparable situation. A bit of a false equivalence, though your underlying concern is a reasonable one.

The fact is, immigration, DACA, etc, is a unique situation and is not as black and white as many would like to present it.

As for the second half...it is very simple. If you selectively enforce laws on some people and not others you end up with corruption and a lot of pissed off citizens when they don't get a break but the other guy does.

Laws are selectively forced all the time. That is nothing new and even though the system is not perfect, it works very well.

If you don't care fine...

I really don't care, for the most part. I tend to believe that people should be as free to do what they want and I don't get too wrapped-up in the hubbub in regards to imaginary lines (borders).

but that in no way reflects any merit to your original statements and makes you look quite silly.

Not sure why I should care what you find worth merit or silly.

If these were things that directly impacted you negatively you'd be wailing and hollering about them...in this case it doesn't but that doesn't make selective enforcement just...and certainly doesn't make it authoritarian.

True. It doesn't make it authoritarian on its own. It's the culmination of many things that leads me to say that. The same people wanting to round up illegals are the same ones that want to round up the media for spreading "lies" and some have even stated that we need to forcibly remove democrats from office.

There is a pattern emerging that stands to become a bigger threat than some illegals staying in this country.

Little less hyperbole in your post might be a good thing

What was hyperbole? I meant what I said.

Have you looked at the employment numbers? We need people.

deny ignorance and all

On this site? Sure...

When I encounter people on a daily basis on this website that have issues with simple reading comprehension, ignorance is sure to be aplenty.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
All I'm saying, is making the leftists victims and targets for this plays into their hands.

The media will lap it up and run with it with their usual lies and half-truths.

Ignore them and their illegal alien guests.

Unless the aliens are like from Planet Greebblebloot.

Then surrender to their awesome powers!

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Answer: yes. Nobody should be above the law.

Next topic, please.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan
Answer: yes. Nobody should be above the law.

Next topic, please.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Here's the dealio, you can bring all of the model family people, wonderful citizens from any country to any event to show off the cream of the crop, Tia Maria and Tio Miguel, or they can bring the criminals, wanted fugitives gang members and drug Lords who entered illegally but they wont will they?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: carewemust

All humans have feelings.

Good, now you admit they are human, they just don't deserve to be treated as such. Apparently you don't see the conflict.

As long as they are breaking our laws, no they don't deserve be treated as such. Go to mexico illegally and see how many rights they give you.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
A Daca reciepient as of this time is not illegal. So your whole thread is silly. They clearly state they would send Daca reciepient and as such means they currently have a green card.

So they can be arrested and currently breaking no laws as much as you would seem to want that to be true.
edit on 1/30/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

To get any where near a president,would have to go through background clearance,so if they did come they should be arrested,as well as who brought them,much like harboring a fugitive

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

You are remembering that incorrectly. Elian was not deported but returned to his father. His father asked for him to be returned to his home.

On topic: As someone already pointed out, the mayor of San Juan is not illegal and neither are Dreamers, those Salvadoreans who were given a due date are not illegals either.

edit on 30-1-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321
As long as they are breaking our laws, no they don't deserve be treated as such. Go to mexico illegally and see how many rights they give you.

Shouldn't all who break the law be treated the same?

Whether they are undocumented or not, what should it matter?

If the law is a misdemeanor, why would you require a harsher punishment as if it was some felony?

Why should the citizen get a pass, when breaking the law, but not the undocumented?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join