It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selva tells reporters "We have lost our edge in Hypersonics"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

The problem is carriers being used in open sea warfare hasn't been a thing for 30 years. Carrier on carrier warfare hasn't been a possibility since WW2. However, with China building a fleet we may see that change.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Truth be told theres probably a few guys here who know more than Zaph..

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

there is always someone who knows more, but would people believe what they had to say.

people tend to make icons or heros out of people and think they know all, usually not the case...usually

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

And in further support:

breakingdefense.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Of course there are. But I can get away with saying things they can't.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Our daily reporter

I found this telling...

The Russian military is incredibly good at killing things if it can find them, but it always historically struggles at seeing on the battlefield

The computerization has always been behind America it tech but it makes up with it with pure brute force..USA had Vietnam,Russia had Afghanistan..Hard lessons.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

i posted a while ago that showed the HTV-2 coming back from orbit from a boat at sea and i also included a ted talk where it showed it in space, i dont know how to search my own posts.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

edit on 2-2-2018 by Blackfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

ah thank you.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A little more from Boeing last night...

Hypersonics Speeding Toward the Horizon

“This is one of several concepts and technologies we’re studying for a hypersonic aircraft,” said Kevin Bowcutt, Senior Technical Fellow of hypersonics in Boeing Research & Technology. “This particular concept is for a military application that would be targeted for an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, or ISR, and strike capabilities.”

There we have it, Boeing confirming a dual ISR/Strike capability.

The article begins by setting a 10-20 year timeline, quickly highlights their six decades of commitment to hypersonic research, and ends with "we could get there as soon as ten years"

The release seems to be a follow up from the January reveal. Marketing counts when you're trying to win contracts.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: The one?

I don't think anyone thought it would be one or the other.

Really easy to add a bomb bay if your are going clean sheet

Still cool to have confirmation

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Truth be told theres probably a few guys here who know more than Zaph..

Yeah, it's just that Zaph has been a member for some time and has had some decent threads over the years, he's like ol' reliable!! (No offence meant to Zaph)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: The one?
A little more from Boeing last night...

Hypersonics Speeding Toward the Horizon

“This is one of several concepts and technologies we’re studying for a hypersonic aircraft,” said Kevin Bowcutt, Senior Technical Fellow of hypersonics in Boeing Research & Technology. “This particular concept is for a military application that would be targeted for an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, or ISR, and strike capabilities.”

There we have it, Boeing confirming a dual ISR/Strike capability.

The article begins by setting a 10-20 year timeline, quickly highlights their six decades of commitment to hypersonic research, and ends with "we could get there as soon as ten years"

The release seems to be a follow up from the January reveal. Marketing counts when you're trying to win contracts.

And we know that when they're talking about it in the white world, that possibly somewhere in the black world it's been flying for a while.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

my thoughts just keep going back to Boeing's Black Diamond manufacturing.

it's almost like the technology is mature enough to hand over from another firm that developed and first fielded it, to Boeing for a larger scale manufacture of semi affordable production numbers. wasn't boeing going to make the Lockheed lrsb for the most part if the lockbo lrsb entrant had won?

maybe they're going this direction now since they aren't going to be mass producing raiders and they developed that Black Diamond thing seemingly for nothing after lockbo lost the bid. they really going to be cranking out 787s with that process?

if i was boeing I'd be all like. "hypersonics the spy plane, hypersonics the bomber, hypersonics the fighter jet, hypersonics the lunch box, hypersonics the flame thrower!!! the kids love that one.
edit on 2-2-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yeah, with a name like black diamond manufacturing, it makes one think of synthetic diamond growing or some sort of 3d printing process.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Diamond now where have I heard that word before Bass

Its a Carbon Fibre weaving machine off memory.

He who controls the "Tooling" ,controls the "industry"... or something like that..
Hope hail storm didnt hit you too hard again Bass..Loving the cool change though

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

dude it's went from 37 and humid to 18. had nice steady but moderate rain last two days. been nice. no hail. staying in and enjoying the antics of Top Gear as they adventure around the world. good thing about this rain is its keeping the Bogan neighbors across the street inside and quiet for a change.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hahahaha Bogans..Like Rednecks but with more anger issues LOL..
Yeah had to mow the dust a few days ago.Started to lose herbs and plants in the vert garden due to the heat

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

dude the cops were over at their place twice a day for a few days in a row. not sure what was going on but judging by the recycling center decor of their front yard and the carcass of a
holden they strip parts off of for recycling to make immediate cash for ..."whatever" it is they need daily. there's no telling what's going on with those knuckleheads. with rednecks vs bogans I think they're comparable anger issue wise just manifests differently due to different addictions.

dust, you've been getting hammered with rain all month.

not much of a garden on my end right now just copious bindies on the lawn and a potted basil. it needed watering twice a day and would wilt bad. your Broms probably loved the heat though. where you are I'd be going for frangipani, croton and cordyline everywhere. maybe some bottlebrush to draw in the lorikeets and galahs.

so back to the topic. sabre. it's for hypersonic applications. but why the rocket component. i would "hope" weve got something thats elegant enough to meet hypersonic AFRE needs without resorting to some rocket hybrid. rocket component suggests to me it's intended to be used partly in a airless environment. if it were the old bass writing this right now I'd speculate they have an interest in trying to do the SSTO thing.
edit on 2-2-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

if you could use a MHD to generate allot of power you could have a 'virtual' engin.

you could use 1 or 2 normal engines for getting up to a good height and then use the power generated to create a virtual engine to push the air out until you get close to LEO and then use rockets to get to space.

the virtual engine wouldn't have to have fuel to burn to keep the blades spinnings, because it would be using the power generated to spin the plasma compressors in the virtual engine until there was no more air to compress, this is where the rocket stuff comes in.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join