It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland Indians To Abandon Racist Chief Wahoo Logo Next Year

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

When are the Vikings or the Fighting Irish going to change?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
But it doesn't matter, because as I said, they're also killing the sport anyway.

Unlike football, which will fade away pretty fast after high schools and colleges get hit with a wave of multi-million dollar concussion lawsuits, the slow, pastoral game of baseball will continue until it knocks us all out with boredom.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I don’t find the Cleveland Indians a problem.. I would have to recheck their mascot, but I think the only problem should be when it is derogatory.

I don’t think Indian as derogatory.

Redskins is derogatory..obviously with the historical meaning being an “Indian scalp”, but Indian, brave or Seminole I do not see how those are derogatory..

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I don’t find the Cleveland Indians a problem.. I would have to recheck their mascot, but I think the only problem should be when it is derogatory.

I don’t think Indian as derogatory.

Redskins is derogatory..obviously with the historical meaning being an “Indian scalp”, but Indian, brave or Seminole I do not see how those are derogatory..

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Upon rechecking the mascot.. I see the point..

I mean if it was a cartoon Jew, black or drunken Irishman slapping his wife. People want it changed..

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I mean really they play Cricket in India that's why it's offensive.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NOprah

The fighting Irish mascot is not a drunk Irishman slapping his wife.. it is a leprechaun..

Or what if it were the Harrisburg Hebrews, with a big nosed miser on a cartoon Jew.

The Vikings mascot might be a fair analogy though.. atleast when it is being portrayed as a cartoon character Viking..

I don’t find the regal more realistic versions of Native Americans or Vikings to be derogatory..
edit on 29-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Bring back the XFL to compete with the now overly political NFL BS and watch the NFL start losing money.

Its easy to stay on top when youre the only game in town, people will put up with a lot, but give them options and see what happens

XFL is coming back.
And as for politicizing, Linda McMahon of WWE fame(?) is Trump's chairperson on, heh, get this, SMALL BUSINESS AFFAIRS.

Nobody wanted it then.
But if President Trump pushes it in his tweets for his friend Jim McMahon, I can see certain demographic blindly tuning in and trying to make it a thing. Again. Even though it was bargain basement football before.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
At least it's not like the Redskins team. A team named after the bloody images of scalped Indians....

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
At least it's not like the Redskins team. A team named after the bloody images of scalped Indians....

Your gonna need to back this one up. Source?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The fighting Irish mascot is not a drunk Irishman slapping his wife.. it is a leprechaun..

Or what if it were the Harrisburg Hebrews, with a big nosed miser on a cartoon Jew.

The Vikings mascot might be a fair analogy though.. atleast when it is being portrayed as a cartoon character Viking..

I don’t find the regal more realistic versions of Native Americans or Vikings to be derogatory..

I could give two shakes what the mascot is.

The team name is the FIGHTING Irish.

What if the Indians were the DRINKING Indians? Would you have a problem then?

It's the same thing except you've been programed to see one as problematic and not the other.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Amazingly, most of the history I've read indicates the word came from the Indians, themselves. Several written accounts from the late 1700s and early 1800s document Indian chiefs referring to their people as red skins while referring to Europeans as white skins.

Modern times, man... idiots offended because manipulative troublemakers tell them they're supposed to be outraged. Granted I'm not got any Indian blood that I'm aware of, but I can't see myself giving a damn over Chief Wahoo if I did.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: Blue Shift

Nope, the Irish will riot.
I have Irish and Choctaw blood.
I am not offended in the least.
Some people are just Wayyy too uptight about nonsense.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Perhaps the pov from a first nation community matters.

originally posted by: trollz
How is it racist? Can anyone actually answer that?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It’s a Native American with red skin. Red skin was considered an insult to native Americans. How do you not see how wrong it is? It’s the reason people have an issue with the Redskins team name.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

www.esquire.com...

Here is one article that gives a short argument for scalped Indians being called redskins.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: YungMahn

Furthermore, even if redskin wasn't an insult or meaning scalps for sale, it would still be a very silly name. It's like having a team called black skins.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

I’m sure they would.. but that isn’t a fair analogy now is it???

What about the fighting Indians??

Doubt you have many Indians mad at that..

That is a fair analogy, not one where one is considered a mainlypositive trait (fighting) and one that is a totally negative one (drinking).

Actually, the Irish have the same “alcoholic” stereotype as Indians..

So that is your real fair analogy..

So do Irish people get pissed off if college mascots are the dunkin Irish???

I think they do..

And programmed?!?!

Did you even read my post?!?!

I said that “redskin” was a historically F’ed up thing. It referred to an indian’s scald turned in for a reward..

For example, a sign might read,

“ 20$ per Redskin”

Meaning you got 20$ for every Indian you killed if you could provide proof by turning in his scalp..

I think it is fair if people take offense to that..

The regal Indian warrior is kinda hard to sell as a derogatory name..

What if every Viking jersey had a cartoon Viking raping some peasant with a priest dead at his feet??

But noooo... the Vikings tend to be portrayed as invincible tough guys..

I mean come on iris a cartoon Indian that is literally red, with a big hawkish nose , shirtless and a feather in his hat.

What if the mascot was a 1950s cartoon black person, big lips , weird hair and apish appearance. Chucking a spear??

How is that different?

What about a Jew, big nose, illuminati ring with a calculator, charging his friend interest for a loan???

(I wonder if there is a way to talk Vince macMann into the XFL having ONLY racist mascots..lol)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

www.esquire.com...

Here is one article that gives a short argument for scalped Indians being called redskins.

My family, paternally, hails from oklahoma. Among my relatives are cherokee and comanche. My wifes claims comanche qnd apache. No one i have ever met has ever claimed or hinted at this belief.

My half cherokee grandmother called herself redskin.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Was talking to my mom about this just now. She says shes never heard of the redskin being anything than actual skin/race, and shes "watched plenty of westerns."

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join