It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland Indians To Abandon Racist Chief Wahoo Logo Next Year

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Cleveland Indians will stop using their Chief Wahoo logo on game jerseys and caps starting in 2019, according to The Associated Press. The decision has the support of the MLB, which has urged the team to decrease its use of the logo in recent years.
Notably, the logo won’t be going away entirely. The ban extends only to on-field displays, meaning Chief Wahoo will still be a fixture on merchandise that’s available throughout northern Ohio.

thats interesting.
no mater how you feel about the logo what is the point from banning only from on field displays?

its either an issue or it is not. i really dont understand why it is apparently only an issue on the field.

what do you all think?

i honestly do not give this much thought. i have lived just outside of cleveland for 20 years. the only time i ever hear complaints about the logo being racist is online. i never hear people saying anything about it out in the world. i suppose that would make sense since this is indian fan nation around here.
do you feel it is racist? bad taste?
should it be banned?

personally i dont see it as racist.
i suppose the only people that really have any room to say # would be people of native american heritage.

edit

i guess it is fan attachment for the reason as to why its not gone 100%
edit on 29-1-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Maybe they wanna follow in the footsteps of the NFL and lose fans and revenue. Nobody cared about this a decade ago and now everything is racist, a word that has completely lost its meaning and power. This is why people hate political correctness and progressive ideologies. They breed destruction under the guise of acceptance of all. In reality, it's acceptance of what they like and rejection of everything else.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, hopefully they replace him with a drunken leprechaun.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
How is it racist? Can anyone actually answer that?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Who decided it was racist? I mean that is really just an opinion.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
How is it racist? Can anyone actually answer that?

Because he's a Native American and I guess in today's society it's offensive to have an Indian as your mascot... Makes no sense to me either.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Likely it is only for on-field display due to the fact that is what gets the most airplay and visibility outside their own area. This is the first salvo in an ongoing war to eliminate that logo over time.

Don't be surprised that wen it is gone, the next issue will be the name needs to be changed. That is how this works, death of a thousand cuts. They chip away until nothing is left, then rebuild it in their own way.

If this continues, I envision a future where all sports teams wear a shade of grey uniform, with no logos, no names, no numbers, and we don't keep score. Not a bright future...if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Those always claiming to hold the moral high ground are convinced its racist symbol; that said, I don't think it matters a whole lot considering the life expectancy of US pro-football, i.e., short and getting shorter. Practically everything in US culture is racist according to the mavens of Political Correctness. This country is inextricably damned by its racist roots as far as they are concerned. I say....."meh, who gives a crap"? The real problem is that the mavens of Political Correctness are convinced that the purpose of being here, being an American, is social justice. The real truth for the other 50% of the country is that the whole raison d'etre for being in the US is to make money! Its not about building something up in the way of a culture or society or even anymore a nation.......its purely and simply about making money.

They'll never get that. But it doesn't matter, because as I said, they're also killing the sport anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The Indians should figure out how to win a World Series first considering they are now MLB's longest perennial loser.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Indians should figure out how to win a World Series first considering they are now MLB's longest perennial loser.

Moving away from Cleveland seemed to do the trick for Lebron and the Ravens...

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Ever since Ricky Vaughn retired, it's been downhill.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Well, hopefully they replace him with a drunken leprechaun.

I was thinking of a red dot type Indian.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

They are scrapping it on field to be polite to MLB. Since fans still want it, it'll be sold as merch.

Personally, i think its silly. Its an iconic symbol that, to most, you have to point out the negative in it.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Nope, the Irish will riot.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

When I lived I Detroit, to be racist towards Native Americans, they were called Wahoos.
It was on par with the N word.
Then when I moved back to Windsor the term wagon burner was really famous.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Hey that's a good idea.

Red dot Indian, flying carpet, and a magic lamp.
Got a whole new mascot right there.
The Cleveland Aladines

Edit to add:
This comment is of a fictional character that I just made up.
In no way is it associated with any particular race, living or now deceased.
There is no such thing as flying carpets or magic lamps, there for they should not be taken as offence.
Section 2.1 paragraph 5

edit on 29-1-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

i honestly do not give this much thought. i have lived just outside of cleveland for 20 years. the only time i ever hear complaints about the logo being racist is online. i never hear people saying anything about it out in the world.

The internet. The gift that keeps on giving.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
If this continues, I envision a future where all sports teams wear a shade of grey uniform, with no logos, no names, no numbers, and we don't keep score. Not a bright future...if you ask me.

Heh...no way corporations will let that happen. The player's will be walking advertisements for Chevron, Microsoft, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
and after all the major sports teams get rid of their "offensive" names and mascots the SJW will be screaming that major sports teams are prejudice because no teams are named for a minority group.

mark my words,watch and see.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Bring back the XFL to compete with the now overly political NFL BS and watch the NFL start losing money.

Its easy to stay on top when youre the only game in town, people will put up with a lot, but give them options and see what happens

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join