It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEVUMI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so here goes. The NYT did a 2 year investigation into fake accounts and they just released their story. Turns out a LOT of people from every aisle are using these things for, uhhh, influence. One person even used it to bombard a car dealer with bad reviews. THIS really IS fake news!!!! Now, the thing is, apparently there are a lot of companies doing this, so why isn't this being prosecuted as Fraud or Identity theft? A lot of money is tied into these social media sites. For example, Facebook stock values are valued based on users...so it stands to reason that purchasing fake usrs is manipulating stocks right? This is just an example, I dont know if Facebook did that or not. The point is, is that this is really prolific and crazy stuff! Talk about disinfo!!!!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Interesting theory. I wonder if the big guys like Facebook are big enough to make this get quiet?

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Reminds me of a yelp review a previous employee of a local pizza joint left.

"When the delivery driver arrived, he parked on my lawn, ate my pizza, and #ed my Mom."

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thanks,
Imagine Volkswagon got hit with something like....they cheated on diesel emissions on 1/3 of their cars. I imagine sales would go down and profits would be hit, right? Not Twitter...they are up right now, even after the article came out and they admitted they have a problem. Why arent investors spooked? It seems strange, almost like the housing market and that movie the Big Short.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Honestly I had no idea a service like this even existed.

But I guess if you can purchase in game currency fom 3rd parties for games like WoW or Final Fantasy, you would be able to purchase followers on social media.
Not saying I agree with deliberately stealing someone's identity as is the case for many of those fake profiles, but I can see how it can assist in boosting someone's online rep.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
this being known....bots-4-likes.... makes the whole eyeballs on Ads data false

the poor old small guy with a webpage that relies on Ad revenue clicks is likely to be put out of business because the website cannot prove that web-bots instead of peoples eyeballs were involved in the hits

the MSM touched on this on TV today... it is clear that many 100k hits & likes/followers on some sites are paid for by the wanna be 'web-famous' person that was innocently just juicing the numbers on popularity to get recognized

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Interesting theory. I wonder if the big guys like Facebook are big enough to make this get quiet?

Apparently they are,

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nice find. I think this has massive implications. Its fraud on a global scale. How many of those people got pay raises based on viewers or views? Ironically a lot of those on the list are influencers. Maybe i should buy some to boost this thread to the front page! Lol. Makes ya wonder eh? Cant trust anyone now! a reply to: network dude

join