It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On this day in 1968

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Army units from different countries of the Warsaw Pact moved into Czechoslovakia as part of a military exercise. As the weeks went past, their failure to leave would become worrying.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Today saw the opening games in the first "Open" Wimbledon- that is, the first not to exclude declared professional players.
Different faces were seen on court, as leading players who had turned professional reappeared on the scene, and some of the recent leading amateurs were absent in a temporary boycott.

The twenty-first century will probably find it hard to understand the moral virtue attached to being an amateur sportsman.
This was a legacy from Victorian times, based on the social structures of Victorian Britain. Amateurs belonged to the social class which did not need the money, giving them a higher status. Amateurs were gentlemen or ladies, while professionals were only men and women.
The attitude was becoming an anachronism in the late twentieth century. This was partly because of social changes, reducing the number of idle aristocrats available to spend time on sport, and partly because amateurs could no longer keep up with the achievements of the professionals.
In golf, the U.K. and U.S. amateur championships used to be on a par with the open championships. This is no longer the case.
In Association football ("soccer"), Victorian amateur clubs like the Corinthian Casuals used to be able to win the F.A. Cup. Now they have their own national cup competition which gives them a better chance of getting to Wembley.
The Rugby Union football code ("rugger") kept themselves distinct from the professional Rugby League, and remained aristocratically amateur until the last decade of the twentieth century.
English cricket had abolished the distinction in 1963, along with the annual "Gentlemen v Players" match which had been one of its products.
The Olympic Games had also been founded as an amateur competition. I'm not sure how much of that ethos remains even now.

My memory of the news stories of the time is that Wimbledon had taken the lead among the tennis championships in deciding to go "open", though it was not, in the end, the very first open championship to take place.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Tony Hancock, English comedian, died today; by pills in his apartment in Sidney.
I put up a tribute thread at the beginning of the month;
Tony Hancock

Just one more time, as in my signature;

edit on 25-6-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty was signed today, by the U.S.A. the U.K., the U.S.S.R, and other nations, in an attempt to bind the world not to allow the spread of nuclear weapons beyond those countries which had them already. Donald Trump's negotiations with North Korea, like Obama's with Iran, are trying to rescue what is left of that policy.

The General Election in France was decided with a massive majority for the Gaullists, 355 seats out of 487.
So the end of the story was deferred until 1969. In that year, De Gaulle carried out his postponed promise to propose reforms and put them to a referendum. When the referendum rejected them, he carried out his original promise that he would resign. Under the provisions of the constitution, Alain Poher, as President of the Senate, took over the presidency until a new President could be elected. Poher was then defeated by Pompidou. Our family passed through Normandy in August 1969. As a young History student, I noticed that Poher's election posters had been defaced and Pompidou's remained intact.

Today customs duties were abolished across the Common Market, the fore-runner of the European Union. However, the French government insisted on imposing temporary import quotas, to protect an economy which had been weakened by the national crisis of May.

The Russian troops which had entered Czechoslovakia to take part in an exercise had still not left.

The day's play at Wimbledon saw the setting of a new record for the largest number of games in a single set. Obviously this was before the invention of the tie-breaker. In the men's singles, four amateurs and four professionals remained to contest the quarter-finals.

edit on 1-7-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
A conference is being held in Warsaw by the European communist countries on the subject of Czechoslovakia. No delegates from Czechoslovakia have been sent. Russian troops have been in Czechoslovakia since the big military exercise in June, but are finally beginning to leave.

The parish church of St. Peter Ad Vincula, at Coveney in the Isle of Ely, held its annual fete, which was formally opened by the wife of the Bishop of Huntingdon.
I mention this event only because I was in charge of the bean-bag throwing competition (I don't think there's enough information there to blow my cover).
Charging sixpence a time, I made forty-eight shillings and sixpence, which was more than twice the previous year's total.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join