It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mid Term Elections?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Numbers123

Trump will take the independent voters and long time voters. The Dems will get the new young voters because they are very easy to brainwash to vote against America's economic interest and workers interest. They will vote on emotions and SJW type causes and multiculturalism which is just a mask for globalism and the redistribution of America's wealth and jobs to help the Central Bankers take over the world.
edit on 28-1-2018 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I've never been anything but an Independent, but it was the situation I described that changed my national votes from mostly Democrat to mostly Republican. Democrats still hold a slight edge locally, but the state is pretty red where national offices are concerned.

I liked Carter. Carter was a great man in way over his head. He deserved that Nobel Prize just for his work with Habitat for Humanity. The problem was that he didn't like direct confrontation, and his attempts to avoid it led to the Iran Hostage Crisis and the gas shortage. That destroyed his domestic agenda as well, and it was a downhill slalom from there. Sometimes, you just have to be an a-hole in international relations.

Of course, back then I just knew he wasn't making my life any better. I learned the truth behind the crisis later on.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
We Kentuckians were lucky in that we didn't suffer a gas shortage but I spent a hot afternoon in a gas line in Nashville due to my own stupidity. Like you, it was many years before I got around to figuring out how his failures came about.

I've been working with Habitat since 1988. Work is about to begin on our 28th house. Planning is currently going on for the move-in celebration on the 26th home. Carter's work was my inspiration to join that effort. My Dad was a builder and taught me to swing a hammer so I've been able to put the skills he taught me to work and even gain a few more.

It seems to me that one of the biggest hurdles the Dems have in mid-terms is to get the voters out. That's local and state efforts and the demoralization of the locals doesn't bode well. Nor the fund-raising. Unless something crashes the markets I can see Reps riding on jobs and a booming economy. If they're smart, they'll put the immigration issue to rest well before Labor Day.

The Dems have lost some of their best and brightest who are of leadership age now. It gives me hope when I notice that so many are going Libertarian or just Indie. Back when I went Indie I had no hope of ever seeing an Independent local county executive elected. Last election saw three in our region---all by large margins. The electorate sent a message to both parties around here.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Excellent presentation!

I would add one advantage that Republicans will enjoy is fund-raising. Democrat fund-raising is at its lowest level in our lifetime. Add to that their lowest level of new voters since the post-Carter years and you can see the uphill trek the Democrats are facing. The rank and file Democrats are seeing their leadership act like juveniles and are not going to continue to support them financially or at the voting booth.

Example: Our county is about two to one registered Democrats and yet we have in office currently, a Republican county executive, a Republican State Rep, a Republican State Senator and a full slate of Republicans in federal offices. Hmmm, how did this happen? That is exactly what the local (and regional and state) Democrat leadership has been asking themselves. How did it happen that our State Legislature turned Republican after a century of Democrat rule? How did a businessman with little to no political experience defeat the Democrat machine to become governor? Now the youngest members of the party might not be able to figure it out but those who have been around for a bit have watched the slow slide and realized that something must change. But nothing did change and the Commonwealth kept sliding downward on the issues that matter to the rank and file---jobs and business. Democrat leadership lined up behind Hillary Clinton with her societal issues and were handed their hats.

As one Democrat county chairman said recently: "We have the Bernie faction and the Hillary faction and neither of them represent Democrats so how are we to rebuild?"

Well, Chelsea Manning IS the new face of the Dem party.

Transtraitor.

I'm sure she will be a monster fundraiser for them.

Too bad she isn't black.

You know it's true so don't even go there, people.

What I don't understand is how can that many heads fit up one ass?

I'd wish them luck in the midterms butt.....

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I'm getting too old to keep up now, but back when I could I would show up at the house Habitat was building with tools and step right into the fray. I think I signed the sheet for volunteers twice in all those years. I just wanted to help a good cause.

When they got old enough, I would bring my kids with me. The people who ran the local chapter knew us by sight and knew we were capable, so they always found us plenty to do.

Both parties are indeed "under the gun" right now, in pretty much all states. Any Republican that thinks they have a safe seat is fooling themselves. It's not the name "Democrat" that is causing the movement; it is the actions of the leaders of the Democratic Party that are causing them to be on the receiving end of voter intolerance. That's why I mentioned that I expect a lot of seat swaps in Primaries. The people are tired of the establishment and want new faces that have not made running for office a lifelong career.

That's what cost Luther Strange the Senate seat here. Strange was an establishment candidate, appointed to the vacant seat by the corrupt Governor Bob Bentley. Moore was the outsider, the renegade who didn't pay attention to the status quo and danced to his own drummer. Moore beat out Strange handily. He would likely have been our Senator today, but for the demonization machine I mentioned in my first post. The DNC literally threw everything they had at him... and I believe his own sense of morality hurt him in the end. Just being accused of the things he was accused of seems to have made a change in him. The last week of the campaign was all Jones... on every radio station several times an hour, making appearances as fast as he could go, while Moore made no appearances and one had to listen hard and long to hear his commercial.

Thankfully, Jones seems so far to be a legitimate Blue Dog... so I'm good with that. He voted against the Schumer Shutdown.

The DNC, if nothing changes, simply does not have the finances to do that across every district. I'm sure they will target Republicans they see as either strategically important or easy targets, but they will still be fighting an uphill battle.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Well, Chelsea Manning IS the new face of the Dem party.

That was one of the names mentioned by at least a couple of the people who mentioned names. They just don't like the idea of electing someone already convicted of crimes against the US, saying that there must be a good reason why Obama didn't issue a full pardon.

Elizabeth Warren is another one that have them spooked. They think she is still under Hillary's thumb.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   
LOL! I don't crawl around on rooftops anymore but I can still wield a paintbrush and serve on committees. My experience as a crew chief in archaeology has been put to use for Habitat from time to time. I was the media person for a few years. And like yours, my kids grew up doing Habitat stuff. As a result they're quite handy about the house and we've made lots of friends in the process. Now it's the grandkids who are learning the skills.

As you pointed out, the Dems still have a lot of west coast big money people who can afford to give targeted funds. It will be interesting to see where the money gets spent.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

There is a huge (YUUUUGE?) financial weakness the Democrats are facing right now that I don't think people, possibly including the Democrat incumbents themselves, have picked up on. That's the surprises I was speaking of.

I know Jeff Sessions. I have watched him almost from his first position in Alabama politics. He has a well-deserved reputation as a merciless prosecutor. I have even described him as a "bulldog with gator teeth." In a bygone day when the KKK was untouchable in Alabama, Jeff Sessions did more than touch; he literally tore the KKK apart and set them well on the road to the oblivion they exist in today. I watched him, as a Senator, give one of the most blistering condemnations of the Senate in general I have heard to date, standing on the Senate floor.

That bulldog is eerily silent as of late.

I have also watched Donald Trump closely ever since he caught my eye with the Rosie O'Donnell feud. The man is a business genius, and a master of media manipulation, despite his other obvious flaws. The official talking point is how dumb, or idiotic, or insane Trump is, but I am watching a master manipulator playing dumb while ensnaring everyone who takes his bait.

Now, everyone is familiar with J. Edgar Hoover and his weaponization of the FBI in its early years. While it was condemned, I never heard of the FBI being cleaned up after his passing, so I can only presume the weaponization mechanism is still in place. After all, I have yet to meet the politician who would sacrifice that much power. The FBI today is under control of Rob Rosenstein, potentially a "swamp critter" himself, but Rosenstein is under control of Sessions, who works for Trump. As a previous Senator, Sessions would be well aware of the power contained in the FBI database, and there is no doubt in my mind that Trump is aware of it also.

I base that last statement on the manner in which Trump fired the former FBI Director, James Comey. Comey was fired in a very unusual manner... when he was out of town, notified by private courier. He had no opportunity to do anything in his office. No changing passwords, no moving data files around, no deleting unbecoming information. The second he received notification of his immediate termination, his office was open to be examined at will by Rosenstein and Sessions. There was no other conceivable reason to time the firing that way.

Yet, to date we have heard nothing about any findings from Comey's database access or communications. Only now are we hearing about the Shrzok/Paige texts. Even under House requests for data, the FBI database is being quietly but carefully guarded against Trump's own party. Why?

I can think of only one answer: Trump and Sessions plan to drain both sides of the Swamp and are biding their time. The perfect time will be in a few months, when the 2018 campaign is well under way. That is why I expect surprises... I fully expect sitting Congressmen and women to be inundated with the largest campaign of corruption exposure we have ever witnessed. I can't prove any of it, but this is a conspiracy site. That's my conspiracy angle, and I'm sticking to it (until something proves otherwise to me anyway).

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
From your keyboard to someone's ear! I hope you are correct. I don't think either party can bear much scrutiny.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Hey, you and I just had a reasoned, intelligent discussion in the Political Mud Pit. If that can happen, anything can.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thank you sir. I can be reasonable on the issue of politics---intelligent---not so sure, but do try to stay informed at least. Now, as long as we don't discuss SEC basketball we'll probably be okay!

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I don't generally care about basketball. As long as we don't start talking SEC football, I'm good too.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL TIDE!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
(Snicker...) Well, in football it wouldn't be much of a conversation would it?
Back a few years ago a relative was stationed at Maxwell AFB and was converted to Tide football. I'm no football fan but I know enough to know that UK can't compete.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join