It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Growler burns on takeoff

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
If they carry out boro's on the aircraft and nothing is found there is little sense in grounding them. It would also hamper their learning and training in what would be the first semi real world test of integrating the Growlers with the Wedgetails in a realistic threat environment.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Exactly. It's all going to depend on what the jet shop and borescoping finds. I don't see them not flying unless they find something major that hasn't been found in the rest of the fleet yet. And the odds of that are slim.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
According to one source they're going to sit out this week, and will start flying Monday, unless something drastic is found.

It was 311 that burned.
edit on 1/31/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
They may have found some problems with the engines on other aircraft. An RAAF was caught inbound to Nellis coming in from the Pacific, probably from a stop at Hickam.

The RAAF Growler was withdrawn from the Singapore airshow. It was supposed to be on the static line, but all F and G model aircraft are on an operational pause until they find what happened.
edit on 2/4/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just heard that the C-17 probably brought in new engines for the remaining Growlers. Rumor is that they want to replace the engines on all the remaining aircraft before they start flying.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
those boys are blessed

hey, I saw an F-111F nose dive into the center of the runway in front of the control tower at Nellis......after the two man capsule went up and came down out of the smoke cloud.....1974
edit on 4-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
Can remember the hole a Pig made hitting the ground at Mach 2 at Tenterfield.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Yes I remember that one too, 1980's I think. There was a story on it on ABC 4 Corners a few years later, it was always a dog of an aircraft that particular one. I forget the serial number now, but I remember seeing a family member interviewed who mentioned that RAAF personnel had immediately said "oh I bet it was number ***", turns out they were right. Sometimes aircraft just aren't born right, those of you who work on aircraft know what I mean.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There was another one near Armidale..Pretty sad.Off memory they trained on Low Level attacks on the abattoir at Guyra.The other run they did was the dam wall at Copeton Dam.Seen one real low level go over me and a friend out near Tingha back in the 90,s .
Guyra Crash

With them pulling more engines I think there would be a few worried heads at GE getting ready to move to Nellis.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm betting someone has either changed suppliers/subcontractors or changed production processes.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Reading up on the GE engines Im not sure if our growlers were used the upgraded Ceramic blades.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Two of the three remaining aircraft flew their first mission today, including 306.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The remaining three aircraft have all flown their FCFs after having their engines changed. They've curtailed flying for Red Flag on Fridays so their first official mission is next week. This might result in them staying on for Green Flag as well, since they've missed so much training time.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
With new engines I cant see a drama..

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Until they identify the root cause of the fire, replacing the engines doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The Australian MoD has confirmed that the Growler has been "removed from service", and they're looking into ways to recover the cost, estimated to be $120M. The high pressure compressor broke into three pieces. One went down, through the bottom of the fuselage and took a chunk out of the runway, one went sideways through the other engine, and the third went up and through the vertical fin, before landing "some distance" away.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Holy

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Yes well, a HPC suffering a catastrophic failure is real cause for concern. I'm betting on it being a manufacturing defect, in which case compensation will eventually ensue. Worse still, is this the only one? The real dilemma now is what the RAAF should do about the loss of one of its 12 new Growlers. They either cut losses and continue with 11 airframes in future, convert one of the earlier F's we bought that were wired up as Growlers in a "fitted for but not with" build standard, or buy a replacement G model and try and reclaim the cost from the manufacturers. Although the RAAF has a history of bringing back aircraft from the dead I doubt this will be one of them due to how extensive the damage is.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
Just A799 it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join