It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Growler burns on takeoff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
An Australian EA-18G Growler has suffered a catastrophic engine failure and fire at Nellis AFB. The aircraft was taking off on a familiarization flight before Red Flag 18-1 starts on Monday. The pilot was able to stop on the runway and the crew egressed safely.

Unofficial reports from the base are catastrophic engine failure, resulting in damaged fuel lines and tank in the right wing, which fed the fire. The base is referring to it as an incident, since the aircraft hadn't even rotated the nose for takeoff at the time.

www.express.co.uk...

news3lv.com...

From reports on scene it appears it was not the 100th Anniversary aircraft that has deployed.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Oops, that aint going to buff out anytime soon.

Aircrew was very lucky it happened before rotation, stopping a flaming bird is no picnic

Good professionalism all round by the sounds of it

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GrumpyBollocks

Some pictures have been posted by spotters and it's definitely a write off. Great job by the pilot to get stopped and out and not just pull the handles.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OK he didn't eject would that seat be a pretty good boom during the fire or ??

Just wondering

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Usually not. If it was damaged, possibly, but most accidents like this nothing happens with the seats.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Picture here:

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

i guess we are down to 11 now .

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: GrumpyBollocks

Some pictures have been posted by spotters and it's definitely a write off.

Bugger!!!!

Horrible start for Red Flag!

Great actions by the Crew though! Very early decisions made correctly! Im very surprised that theres not even minor injuries, getting out quickly doesnt always go smoothly!

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

They just signed for the F models that can be converted, so if this one can't be fixed, which would surprise the hell out of me if they did, they can salvage some of the equipment to move over.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thought they were used to handling Growler's at Nellis???

I bet some sailors are getting their asses handed to them on that maintenance crew.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

i guess we are down to 11 now .

I know its abit too soon to think about but I did wonder whether we will get a replacement airframe or whether we will pull a Rhino from 1 SQN from the later tranche thats wired for Growler conversion, the RAAF have been pretty fortunate when its come to losses in modern times.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It doesn't matter how used to them you are, parts fail. Parts that ops check good, and even pass inspection, and then come apart under stress. That's probably what happened here. More than likely a fan blade came apart at full power.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ironside800

Most likely they'll just convert an F. That's the cheapest way to do it, and was in the cards already.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Not sailors mate. RAAF ground crew. They're pretty thorough. Have to wait and see.

regards,

bally

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yeah, they are pretty serious issuing and completing those daily and post/ pre flight inspections.

But you know the Master Chief is going to be giving everyone hell in the morning, or was giving everyone hell regardless.

Especially considering this hit the news cycle.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Not sailors mate. RAAF ground crew. They're pretty thorough. Have to wait and see.

regards,

bally

Oh, missed that detail.

Maybe they were TAD at Nellis training. I could see that.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Too bad aye mate.

Glad the crew are okay.

bally

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It'll depend on the ultimate cause. If it was a fan blade, then unless it was visibly cracked, there wasn't a lot anyone could have done about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Another image. It MIGHT be fixable.

edit on 1/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I would hate to be the guy tasked with verifying all those logbooks and checking the hours on all the equipment and going through all those vids/mafs, god knows that was the worst part of my job in the Navy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join