It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF begins Massive GPS blackouts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Red Flag 18-1, a United States Air Force largest-ever three-week air war drill is starting on Friday and will conclude February 16. “Base officials have warned residents of increased military aircraft activity due to aircraft departing from Nellis Air Force Base twice-a-day to conduct war drills on the Nevada Test and Training Range.” www.zerohedge.com...

“Not only is it the largest of its kind in the exercise's 42 year history, but the USAF is going to blackout GPS over the sprawling Nevada Test and Training Range to challenge aircrews and their weaponry under realistic fighting conditions. The tactic will spill over throughout the region, with warnings being posted stating inconsistent GPS service could be experienced by aircrews flying throughout the western United States.”
www.thedrive.com...

I also noticed that it will affect the Baja Peninsula and Northwestern Mexico, areas that are suspected of terrorist incursion and drug smuggling.

Hooah!

edit on V102018Saturdayam31America/ChicagoSat, 27 Jan 2018 11:10:44 -06001 by Violater1 because: ewr ':

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
gonna be alot of people getting lost when they step out of their houses without their gps to tell them where to go .

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

They don't affect ground level or low altitude. It's only high and medium altitudes that will be affected.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They don't affect ground level or low altitude. It's only high and medium altitudes that will be affected.

Like where the commercil airplanes fly.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

All aircraft have multiple navigation options, both aircraft based and ground based. GPS isn't the only way to navigate, and there will always be backups.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Looks like them Civilian pilots need to break out the ole’ E6B and current paper charts and calibrate the whiskey compass!

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
didnt know that never used gps . on the occasions need to navigate use good old fashioned map and compass .

hence figured the gps outage would effect all the electronic gizmos people rely on to navigate these days .

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

They try to mitigate the impact on people not involved. They don't say how they're doing it, but the last test at China Lake had some really interesting graphics about the effects of it.
edit on 1/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

with all due respect, zap, why don't they turn off the GPS of the individual craft involved in the exercise?.....the amount of possible accidental harm from this wide area shutdown would seem to make this problematic.
edit on 27-1-2018 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Because the point of the exercise is relearning how to fight without it. Something like 90% or more of weapons released now have GPS guidance. They can't turn it off for them without removing it, which alters the way the weapon carries and releases.

The impact won't be nearly as bad as you think. They made a huge deal out of the China Lake test a few years ago, which was actually bigger, and it turned out to be barely a blip on the radar.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don’t recall but would cell phones not be impeded even if was at all altitudes? I thought they used cell towers for gps coordinates without gps satellite help?

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

I know they use towers as GPS for phones, but I don't know about other things.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zaph, do they still use LORAN? Inquiring minds, etc...

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think LORAN has been gone a long time. Right after GPS came out

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

a reply to: jimmyx

Because the point of the exercise is relearning how to fight without it. Something like 90% or more of weapons released now have GPS guidance. They can't turn it off for them without removing it, which alters the way the weapon carries and releases.

I live in the affected area, so does this mean we will be having to dodge unguided missiles and bombs?

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
GPS was a pipe dream when I was flying, which was also before cell phones. And LORAN was for boats. I trust airplanes still have the older navigation equipment and that pilots are still trained to use them.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Maybe there will be a plane crash with famous people on board .
Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Looks like them Civilian pilots need to break out the ole’ E6B and current paper charts and calibrate the whiskey compass!

Naw just use the VORs as usual

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
We were up yesterday in the EC-145 in the Fresno area between 1300-1700 and did not have an issue with the GPS. FL varied between 2 to 8 FYI

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They don't officially start until Monday. Friday was the official start, but they're still in the Red/Blue neener neener stage.
edit on 1/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join