It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add FedEx and Home Depot to the list of who are trickling down

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

If everyone got a measly $500 for the past 8 years that's $4000. Yes please. This is a good thing, it's a win. The only unhappy people are those that desire failure.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
A better word than “trickle-down Economics” is “supply-side Economics”. The former was a liberal joke used to mischaracterize conservative fiscal policies in order to say they only cared about the rich.

I remember the start of that meme. Trickle down economics was supposed to give corporations more profit, so they could use that in research and development and invent new cheaper products for the consumer.

IOW, the effect of de regulation would eventually 'trickle down' to the consumer, saving them money.

Of course, inflation kind of decreases the value of consumers money and their value in the work force, don't it? And since when did the cost of goods and services ever go down?

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

What you omit is the jobs are being cut not in the U.S., but in Canada.

The ups and downs of the business world isn't going to be changed by any President. Those jobs could have been cut in the U.S. plants, but are not.

I will cede there will be hyperbole in these moves, but it remains that many jobs are starting to return and money is starting to go up for workers. That is a good thing.

Marginalizing those good things speaks volumes of the left. It merely reinforces the perception that the left has nothing to offer other than fear, marginalization and disparagement.

You sink your own boat. Carry on.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Supply and demand will dictate prices. Competition.

Not in a Monopolistic economy. The Corporatocracy run by Oligarchs squash all competition.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: intrptr

Do you understand how business works?

You mean Big Business though , don't you.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's a rare day when anything goes down in price. Likely a fluke of brief moments when actual competitive/free enterprise accidently occurs.

A spike in demand for workers can offset that in the short term, wage-wise and will likely occur if this trend continues.

The real solution is better jobs via retraining or creating one's own business. All of which requires opportunity of which has been down trending for decades.

This looks to reverse that. More opportunity, more and better paying jobs, even now are available.

None of it matters if the individual doesn't partake of those increased opportunities. Some will. Many won't. That hasn't and won't change, IMO.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

What you omit is the jobs are being cut not in the U.S., but in Canada.

I omitted no such thing. It appears you made a false statement and I was merely pointing-out that error. Which makes one question whether or not you read your own link.

The ups and downs of the business world isn't going to be changed by any President. Those jobs could have been cut in the U.S. plants, but are not.

True. So we should be thankful jobs are not leaving the US? Is that a byproduct of "trickle-down"?

I will cede there will be hyperbole in these moves, but it remains that many jobs are starting to return and money is starting to go up for workers. That is a good thing.

There are a variety of reasons for that, "trickle-down" economics and tax cuts being only a small factor.

Marginalizing those good things speaks volumes of the left. It merely reinforces the perception that the left has nothing to offer other than fear, marginalization and disparagement.

In that same vein, does being misinformed about the realities and the context surrounding these sorts of events speak volumes about the Right? Does that reinforce the perception that people on the Right are stupid?

You sink your own boat. Carry on.

That's not how it works in the US. If you sink your boat, myself and others will be there to keep you afloat.

You're welcome.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Supply and demand will dictate prices. Competition.

Not in a Monopolistic economy. The Corporatocracy run by Oligarchs squash all competition.

That's why we booted out the left...and hopefully many on the right, as well. We don't need a TPP. We need opportunity and that we are getting, more and more, almost daily with Trump's moves.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
And here we have the age old problem of attributing the good that is happening to Trump (without any evidence) while ignoring the fact that there are business layoffs and closing of businesses announced every single day.

Let's just look at the past few days announcements -

Jan 27th -

JC Penny in Paramus closing

Jan 26th -

Walmart - 1000 layoffs announced
Capitol One - announced layoffs, no exact number
Ann Taylor Towson closing
Coca Cola bottling plant in Okmulgee, OK closing

Jan 25th -

Seimans - 200+ layoffs
McKesson closing Delran drug distribution center NJ (102 jobs lost)
Walmart closing service center in Derby
Ann Taylor Utica Square closing

Jan 24th -

Technicolor - 160 layoffs
Toys R Us - closing 180 stores
Bagger Daves - closing 5 more locations

Jan 23rd -

Kimberly Clark - 5000 layoffs, closing 10 factories

This is just announcements made in the past few days!
Partisan junk thread.
Are Trumps policies (and all the trickle-down high fives) also responsible for all these closings and layoffs?
edit on 27-1-2018 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

No, it's not a COLA and not a salary increase. The full extent of the tax cuts won't be known for some time, so no one is going to go full steam ahead before the exact numbers come out. A bonus represents something, though: it shows the business in question is secure enough in their market position and has enough concern about retaining employees to give out a bonus. That means a lot.

It means the market is expanding, at least for now. It also means the job market is increasing, and competition for good employees is expected to increase. Those re the guidelines used to determine bonuses.

A pay raise means very high confidence that the long-term prospects are good and that the job market competition is expected to continue to increase long term. In other words, the difference between deciding to give a bonus and to give a raise is one of short-term versus long term.

Either way, it is money in the pockets of Americans, who will save some and use some to buy things they want/need. That might be eating out an extra night a week, meaning more restaurant workers will be needed and restaurants will make more profit. It might be a new bedroom suite (or just a new mattress), which means more furniture will need to be made, requiring more people to make it. It might be the difference in buying a new car instead of a used car, helping out in the rust belt (and other locations that the auto industry has located in). Maybe it's just buying better food... that will surely make a little difference in medical bills down the road. And as more people are needed, it becomes easier to find a good job and the companies who don't want to spend all their time training new recruits will have to pay more.

You also forget that the bonuses are not everything the workers get. They also will see a dropped tax rate (which will kick in next month) meaning less deducted from their paychecks. That works just like a raise. At tax time, they will see an increased personal deduction, which should lead to more of a refund next year. If, as many including me suspect, the increasing job market continues, they will begin to see pay increases as well, to help insure employee retention.

Add it all up and this is a win for everyone except the politicians which have come out against the tax cuts.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
500 per head, that wont do much unless its permanent. Are they give to give them that every year?

This is no big thing; Obama had a bigger stimulus package in 2009 and brought the economy out of disaster.

Trump inherited a great economy.

Trump’s tax cut just amounts to the same as a stimulus package

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Haha sweet joke.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
And here we have the age old problem of attributing the good that is happening to Trump (without any evidence) while ignoring the fact that there are business layoffs and

No evidence other than businesses flat out saying that Trump is the reason. I mean other than that yeah just a guess.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

While I agree with everything you've posted the money aspect isn't the biggest thing in this trend.

It's opportunity. Hope. A regaining of potential upward mobility. A chance for one's children to make more out of this life than we did.

It was what the American dream was about. To some degree, that same perception is awakening.

The CEO's and other business-minded already see it and are moving. Fast. Faster than I thought and I suspect other as well. Now it is up to us to make the most of those returning opportunities.

(We'd better get on with that merit based immigration reform, the rest of the world will, again, be beating at our doors if their nations don't follow Trump's advice and partnership.)

edit on 27-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
These flimsy benefits and bonuses mean squat in an economy as huge as Americas.

Its way too early to judge

Wait at least a year to judge. You folks are taking Obama's economy and saying this is Trump.

If you had any knowledge-- which you don't-- you'd understand that this tax cut amounts to a stimulus therefore this will trickle down soon.

edit on 27-1-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

And here we have the age old problem of attributing the good that is happening to Trump (without any evidence) while ignoring the fact that there are business layoffs and

No evidence other than businesses flat out saying that Trump is the reason. I mean other than that yeah just a guess.

In the case of FedEx, it appears these raises were already planned, but they are moving them up and giving the president credit.

So it becomes reasonable and logical to say that companies like FedEx are playing politics themselves.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

And in the case of Home Depot...

"The company has not yet estimated the effect of the tax law changes on 2018 results, but it expects the net impact to be beneficial."

So no actual benefit has been tracked... just a little corporatist back patting. I'll wait to see how the workers are actually doing before buying in to corporate hype.

Never mind that also in the case of Home Depot, in order to get $1000 bonus you have to have worked here for over 20 years!
Read the fine print.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

They don'y want to accept reality so the go for the hype.

Anybody with any sense would realize IT'S TOO EARLY to judge a policy in an economy the size of the US's based on a few actions in a few weeks.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

And in the case of Home Depot...

"The company has not yet estimated the effect of the tax law changes on 2018 results, but it expects the net impact to be beneficial."

So no actual benefit has been tracked... just a little corporatist back patting. I'll wait to see how the workers are actually doing before buying in to corporate hype.

Never mind that also in the case of Home Depot, in order to get $1000 bonus you have to have worked here for over 20 years!
Read the fine print.

Exactly. We witnessed something similar with Wal Mart. Many people praised that they were going to increase wages and give bonuses, but come to find out they were also laying off a large number of people.

Context is key (fine print).

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Absolutely! Hope for the future. Hope for a better life. Hope in general.

That's the regulation removals kicking in. More money just relieves some worry, but I think most people want something better than a 9-to-5 with three meals a day and no overdrafts at the end of the month. They want to better themselves, do something special, be the best they can be. And it's hard to do that when most of your time is spent trying to keep food on the table, heat in the house, and rain outside where it belongs. It's even harder when everywhere one turns, one is told that what they want to do is impossible.

Want to start your own restaurant? Great idea! Now, you need to come up with $80,000 for lawyers and filing fees to ensure that you're in compliance with all the regulations, spend another $50,000 updating the building you were looking at, it will take 9 months to get the approvals back, and then you get to be inspected and get your license like you expected. When you make $30,000 a year, that is as good as saying "NO!"

No, you can't start your own restaurant... no, you can't start your own home business... no, you can't go back to school... no, you can't find a better job... no, you can't learn a new trade... no, no, NO! It's right here in this regulation: NO!

There is no hope in such a life, and little true joy either.

Someone up above posted that Trump inherited a "great economy." That statement is only true if one is either working for government or a government contractor, a major shareholder in an insurance or financial firm, or was already independently wealthy. The rest of us, the majority, haven't had a raise in years, have no hope in finding another job (making us, in essence, slaves to our employers), were having to cut back every year because of rising prices, were forced to rely on government assistance for the essentials, and went to bed every night praying the car didn't break, the tires would hold on another week, the refrigerator wouldn't die, our company wouldn't lay us off, etc., etc., etc.

That is not a good economy. Not by my definition. To tell me it is, is a serious insult. It's like slapping me in the face.

I personally spent 8 years with no hope, after another 8 with little hope. Today I am starting to have hope again. Just a glimmer, but some is better than none. And I'm apparently not alone.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join