It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add FedEx and Home Depot to the list of who are trickling down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: nwtrucker

Is Fed Ex or Home Depot going to reduce prices to the consumer for goods and services? Is the gubmet going to decrease sales tax any, at all?

Which is a better system?

Gubment takes more of my money that I worked for directly and I can't buy goods I need to live.

OR

Gubment lets me have more of my hard earned money and I can buy goods that I need to live and they end up getting their money in sales tax anyway?

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Is Fed Ex or Home Depot going to reduce prices to the consumer for goods and services? Is the gubmet going to decrease sales tax any, at all?

FedX/HD reducing prices on goods & services would be a 'Deflationary' move...

Whereas a bonus or wage increase will fit well in the 'Inflationary' economy model
(which is the model used by Federal Reserve & Business in general)
edit on th31151706555927052018 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Supply and demand will dictate prices. Competition. At least now there's a little more wiggle room for those that are so inclined.

As far as sales taxes go, talk to your State representatives. The is no federal sales tax. Besides they should begin lowering the sales taxes. After all, the numbers on social programs is dropping and their ill-advised, State guaranteed Pensions are being well financed by the boom in stock market.

Of course, the state boys aren't mentioning the spike in savings and earnings, are they?
edit on 27-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

In just couple of months the tax cut has helped more Americans than anything Obama did in 8 years.

Remember that tax Dubya gave the proliferates? You know, the one where he gave everyone a check but increased taxes on the sly, got rid of regulations, before everything went south because everything was so great?

Wait a minute, this is starting to look familiar, it's a trap!

In Mr. Dudley's January 11, 2018 speech given to the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, he opens by noting that, broadly speaking, the prospects for above-average economic growth in 2018 remain "reasonably bright" which will lead to a tighter job market and quicker wage growth which will help the Federal Reserve achieve its 2 percent inflation target. That said, he goes on to note that he is far more cautious about the longer term prospects for the economy given the recent passing of the aforementioned Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.

While the act will provide support for continued economic growth over the near-term, the growth will come at a cost for two reasons:

1.) the Act will lead to increases in the federal debt which is already facing pressures related to higher debt servicing costs.
2.) increases in entitlement spending as the baby-boom generation retires and ages.

He notes that "there is no such thing as a free lunch", that "the current fiscal path is unsustainable" and that "ignoring the budget math risks driving up longer-term interest rates" are diminishing America's creditworthiness.

The Federal Reserve, the Free Lunch and the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017

TL;DR this will bite America in the ass

You know it's bad when it's the Fed telling you this, cuz they of all people know how to %^&*#@ some money up. And for the record, Obama sucked to.
edit on 27-1-2018 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Funny how this turned into a Rep Vs Dem thing so quickly.

I also find it weird that for the last what, 50 years, the Republicans have been the party of fiscal conservatism, we must bring the national debt down and balance the books.

Yet the only President who made a serious effort to balance the books was Clinton.

And now the balancing of the books has been totally thrown out the window, Republicans are now 'Well we never wanted to balance the books anyway!'

There's so many lies and obfuscations. No wonder American politics are so messed up. Everybody is lying about everything all the time it seems.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

This just highlights the need for government to reduce spending.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Except it was a Republican Congress that brought that debt down. Congress controls the purse strings...in case you've forgotten .....or didn't forget???

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I'm sure someone already pointed this out, but these raises were already scheduled to be implemented in October and they only moved them up 6 months.

Over $200 million in increased compensation, about two-thirds of which will go to hourly team members by advancing 2018 annual pay increases by six months to April 1st from the normal October date. The remainder will fund increases in performance- based incentive plans for salaried personnel.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I'm sure someone already pointed this out, but these raises were already scheduled to be implemented in October and they only moved them up 6 months.

Over $200 million in increased compensation, about two-thirds of which will go to hourly team members by advancing 2018 annual pay increases by six months to April 1st from the normal October date. The remainder will fund increases in performance- based incentive plans for salaried personnel.

Yeah, right. 1.5 billion into the Pension fund, That was scheduled as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Do you understand how business works?

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Opps, here's another one moving home...guess this was planned six months ago, too.

www.watchdogfiles.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Yeah, right.

Yes, that's right. The quote I posted was from the FedEx website. Here is the link, which is also available at the source in the OP.

about.van.fedex.com... age-tax-cuts-jobs-act/

1.5 billion into the Pension fund, That was scheduled as well.

I'm not sure. Was it scheduled? Perhaps we should find out before we dismiss the idea, because as we just found out the raises were scheduled and just moved up.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
A better word than “trickle-down Economics” is “supply-side Economics”. The former was a liberal joke used to mischaracterize conservative fiscal policies in order to say they only cared about the rich.
edit on 27-1-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Opps, here's another one moving home

That's cool that jobs are coming to the US, but they are not "moving home". That plant in Canada has been open since 1931.

Per your link:

The move will result in nearly 400 lost manufacturing jobs at the plant, which has been in operation since 1931.

Also at your link, here is the reason given for the move:

Ana Dominguez, president of Campbell’s operations in Canada, told the Toronto Star that one reason for the closing is the company has too much soup and not enough customers. “Simply put, we are in a situation where we can produce a lot more soup than we can sell,” she said

So I'm not sure this helps your argument, whatever that argument may be.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Listening to democrats argue against the tax cuts one can easily see that many of the elite establishment democrats seem to believe that tax cuts take away money that belongs to them. They're being forced to borrow money to PAY for the tax cuts, so those who are benefiting from tax cuts are receiving money that is "not theirs". And that average Americans living paycheck to paycheck having more money in their income amounts to nothing anyway.

It's really amazing to hear their arguments.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Well, asking DC to spend less is blasphemy.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My bonus was already baked into a profit-sharing plan target, which we crushed. So that means we are getting DOUBLE bonus this year (in two months)!

I know this is going to bug some of you, but I can't help it.

My bonus is going to be around 35k!

AND, ON TOP OF THAT, we are receiving a "discretionary bonus", no doubt in part to the favorable tax situation and money we've repatriated to the US.

So, 35k normal (but double) bonus and then I figure another 5-10k discretionary bonus.

Times are good, folks!

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It's great for headlines and me-too-isms. HOWEVER, it's NOT a cost of living increase and it's not a salary increase.

Have you ever gotten a Christmas bonus? It's great for clearing up some immediate problems (or, if you're wealthy enough, socking it away for the future) but it doesn't do as much for your family as a a raise.

In the US, we work an average of 1,700 hours per year - higher than other first world nations and for lower pay than other first world nations. It's not unusual to have to work more than that.

So the next time you see someone announcing a big bonus, divide that bonus by 1,700 and see how big it is. So FedEx is giving employees less than a dollar an hour (before taxes.)

Now - how many companies are going to make a huge announcement by saying "we're saving the economy and raising our employees' wages by EIGHTY CENTS PER HOUR!"

These bonuses will probably not be unilateral. The guy hired 8 months ago isn't likely to get a full $1k bonus, for example.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
My bonus was already baked into a profit-sharing plan target, which we crushed. So that means we are getting DOUBLE bonus this year (in two months)!

AND, ON TOP OF THAT, we are receiving a "discretionary bonus", no doubt in part to the favorable tax situation and money we've repatriated to the US.

So, 35k normal (but double) bonus and then I figure another 5-10k discretionary bonus.

Times are good, folks!

Well, congratulations! I assume that your entire company isn't getting that amount (are secretaries getting that much?) and that you're not working stocking shelves for Home Depot or driving trucks for FedEx? The kinds of bonuses you mention are usually defense industry companies. My husband worked for one, and many do share the wealth.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Tempter

Times are good, folks!

Well, congratulations! I assume that your entire company isn't getting that amount (are secretaries getting that much?) and that you're not working stocking shelves for Home Depot or driving trucks for FedEx? The kinds of bonuses you mention are usually defense industry companies. My husband worked for one, and many do share the wealth.

No, I don't drive truck, lol. My best friend does, though.

Our bonuses are calculated at a percentage of salary multiplied by the bonus factor which can be anywhere from 0.0-2.0. This year we earned a 2.0 bonus factor.

So, it looks like this....

(fake numbers)
100,000 salary
2.0 bonus factor
.15 bonus percentage (depends on pay grade)

$100,000 x .15 = 15,000 x 2.0 = $30,000!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join