It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15th-century Voynich manuscript with 'alien' characters finally decoded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Discovered in the 19th century, the Voynich manuscript uses “alien” characters that have long puzzled cryptographers and historians. Now, however, computing scientists at the University of Alberta say they are decoding the mysterious 15th-century text.

Computing science Professor Greg Kondrak and graduate student Bradley Hauer applied artificial intelligence to find ambiguities in the text’s human language.

The first stage of the research was working out the manuscript’s language. The experts used 400 different language translations from the “Universal Declaration of Human Rights” to identify the language used in the text. Initially, it seemed like the text was written in Arabic, but the researcher's algorithms revealed that the manuscript is written in Hebrew.

source

So I have read a little about this but when I first read about it it definitely captured my attention. It has popped back up every now and then but this is pretty cool!

Hard to believe it was Hebrew all along and nobody realized it, but I am looking forward to the full decryption and being able to read this.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
wowee

great news i gotta see this be right back

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I like how one of the researchers states, "Then we ran it through Google Translate."
Really? They didn't have anyone in academia who could read Hebrew??

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
wowee

great news i gotta see this be right back

Yeah...pretty cool! I remember all the excitement over it and the hypotheses at how long it took to write and how the thought was the depictions in it would be the key to translation and whatnot.

My thought was always that the plants seen had to do with medicinal writings and apothecary....can't wait to be able to see what this actually says.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I like how one of the researchers states, "Then we ran it through Google Translate."
Really? They didn't have anyone in academia who could read Hebrew??

Yeah....I have to read more about that, but I believe the writing was coded from Hebrew so they had some algorithm that figured out it was Hebrew then applied it to the writing then translated it in Google. Who knows if they realized it at first. Could have been trying anything.

Now that they know it should be translated pretty quickly with the right team....and someone that knows Hebrew...lol

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Sorry Vasa, I know it's your B-Day and I hate to spoil it but
2 posts below yours

In return I promise to post my fav conspiracy in your B-Day thread as soon as I decide between a few.

Happy Birthday!

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Sorry Vasa, I know it's your B-Day and I hate to spoil it but
2 posts below yours

In return I promise to post my fav conspiracy in your B-Day thread as soon as I decide between a few.

Happy Birthday!

Ha!

Dang chit chat forum never comes up in my searches.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

This popped up last year. IIRC it is an herb/cure book according to that article.

Hebrew??!! I don’t think it would be so “mysterious” with all the biblical scholars out there knowing both Aremaic and Hebrew.

Anyway, it is your birthday so who am I to utter such heresy!

The mystery is still king! Don’t believe everything you find on the internet! The story is not over.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Oh man, what a let down, i was expecting something a bit more impressive than hebrew

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Waiting for someone to produce something that is tangible.

new topics

top topics

join