It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were dinosaurs mentioned in the bible?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Dinsaurs didnt turn into fossil fuel. Most of todays fossil fuel comes from the carbon era.

Btw why am i foolish because i believe in god? Why am i ignorant because i believe in god? Why am i lazy because i believe in god?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sntx
Do you have anything to contribute to this thread aside from ad hominem attacks and false assumptions about me? If you do, please share.

Steve

Well since you ask, all the characteristics attributed to these creatures mentioned in the bible, which you have misconstrued as those of dinosaurs, could easily be applied to a Nile Crocodile: the scales, the long
tail etc. These animals can grow to around 20 feet, and are much more violent in nature compared to alligators.

The dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago. Humans have only existed for a few million years. This fact has been proved by carbon dating, where the radioactivity of the carbon in fossils is measured, and the age of the object is calculated using the known rate of decay of the radioactive carbon. This is indisputable evidence when combined with the geological evidence at hand. Dinosaurs and humans never co-existed. Not an opinion - a fact.

And as this thread is in the religion forum, may I ask a religious question?

Why do you feel you have to take every word in the bible as truth? Isn't it enough simply to honour whichever deity you worship the way you see fit without the biased opinions of the writers of the bible affecting your beliefs?

The bible was written by humans. It has many inconsistencies of which I am sure you are aware, as I assume you have studied closely the text which you live by. Surely you understand that it cannot be perfect and completely accurate?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Dinsaurs didnt turn into fossil fuel. Most of todays fossil fuel comes from the carbon era.

Btw why am i foolish because i believe in god? Why am i ignorant because i believe in god? Why am i lazy because i believe in god?

Believing in God does not make you foolish, ignorant, or lazy. It is when you come to your beliefs through others without questions and research that makes you foolish, ignorant, and lazy. Most christians are foolish, ignorant, and lazy in this regard.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha

If you'd care to read my previous posts you might notice that I said I respect people's faith in "God". What I was referring to as ignorant, foolish and lazy was people's willing submission to indoctrination by the organisations who have hi-jacked religious belief. If you believe in God as a supreme being why must you take every word of the bible, written by men, as true? Surely you believe nobody is perfect but God? Or have I got the wrong idea about Christian values?

It seems odd to me that people need the guidance of biased and far from perfect clergymen and religious writers to express their faith.

originally posted by myself
If you have faith in a higher power then I can respect that, but it is a foolish, lazy and ignorant thing to take every word spoken by a priest or written by a so-called prophet as fact, simply because they claim to be men of "God".

[edit on 16-2-2005 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
As i said before im muslim. Indeed the current form of the bible isnt correct. The bible has been changed and still is being changed by man.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm glad you see where I'm coming from.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Not only does the bible mention dinosaurs, so do many other cultures around the world.
Among them are the natives of North America who made extensive drawings of them.
The Navajo people speak of the dinosaurs
You suspicion that dinosaurs would eat people are true.

At that time, monsters roamed the land and killed many people. Since Spider Woman loved the people, she gave power for Monster- Slayer and Child-Born-of-Water to search for the Sun-God who was their father. When they found him, Sun-God showed them how to destroy all the monsters on land and in the water.

www.crystalinks.com...

You can compare the navajo creation story to the christian one here
forums.tribulationforces.com...

Or you can simply write all of it off. ...for whatever reason people do that.
Now THAT is the real conspiracy

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ancient European cultures wrote about elves and pixies and hobgoblins. So obviously they must all have co-existed with humans?

Almost all ancient cultures had mythical "monsters". Many could all easily fit the description of a dinosaur, they are just fictional creatures derived from existing ones such as lizards such as komodo dragons, and exaggerated.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
That last post brings about some very good thoughts, though people like jake and sntx will not agree because of their inability to reason.

Jake, here is a quote:

"Or you can simply write all of it off. ...for whatever reason people do that.
Now THAT is the real conspiracy"

Can you remember who said that? In anycase, lets look at who "writes stuff off".

I cite science and known factual information to conclude to my points, you cite the bible, and the bible only.

I cite glaring and horrifying direct contradictions in the words of the bible. You write them off don't you?

You write off all of the scientific evidence that says it is impossible for things to occur such as a global flood.

You write off all of the 30+ major ways that scientists are able to date the universe and the earth. You do this without even having the slightest clue as to how this stuff works. You dont even have a clue, much similar to what you know about life in general.

(P.S. SNTX, you should pay attention too)

You two both time, and time again, disregard information that disagrees with you. I at the very least end the day with an open mind. I don't write information off, I only write off information that comes from liars such as you two both.

Lets look at something else, this is from the Meriam Webster Dictionary:

1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
2 : to create a false or misleading impression

Either of you know what word is defined there? The word is "LIE".

SNTX, you stated in many of the posts on this thread that in fact, the references in the bible "ARE" referring to dinosaurs. You did this without any qualification of opinion. You presented your "fact" without mentioning all the evidence to the contrary. The fact is that there are animals today that could fit those descriptions. There is no feasible way to say that those references "ARE" of dinosaurs, even if that scenerio was more liklely, which it is not. You are not that stupid to not know that. Therefore, according to Meriam Websters's Dictionary, you lied. Hence the term, LIAR.

Jake, old pal,

You refered to these things in the same manor, as well as to your favorite flood. You stated in other threads about the flood, that there was irrefuteable evidence that it had occured. Now, anyone with a brain the size of a walnut knows that is not true. Even at that matter, I asked for your proof, which never came to the surface. You knowingly stated information that you knew was incorrect. According to the ol' dictionary, you also are a liar.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
That last post brings about some very good thoughts, though people like jake and sntx will not agree because of their inability to reason.

I can tolerate their disagreement, despite their implausible counter arguments. What gets to me is that they won't even answer my questions. This is just a continuation of their selectiveness. They choose simply to ignore whatever contradicts them.

Oh well, it'll be their disappointment when the maggots get tucked in.

I ask again:

The bible was written by mortals. Mortal men capable of lying, exaggeration and bias. It is not the word of "God" if such a being exists. Why must you take every word of the bible as true if it was not made by the hand of the supreme being you worship?

Why not question it like you would ( I hope ) any other imperfect piece of literature, produced by imperfect human beings?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I cannot understand the willingness to follow things of this impotance blindly. You are right, why not question.

As far as what you said about disagreement.

It is one thing to disagree. To say, I truly believe that those references in the bible, or where-ever are of dinosaurs. However unlikely it may be, I still believe it. I do however acknowledge the fact that it is very unlikely and know that I could be wrong as a result.

It is another to state, it "is" referring to the dinosaurs. The evidence you provide to the contrary is wrong. I am right. Because I believe in God. Never accepting the likelyhood that you are way off base. (This is typically done because christians dont look any further than they are told by a pastor) It is a lie to state this information as fact. It takes someone of huge mental deficiancies not to see this.

It is ok to believe as long as you qualify your thoughts. "I believe, even though it is only an opinion." For instance, Albert Einstien through thought experiments believed that time was relative. That idea shook physics to the bone, and was largely rejected at first. Evidence to the contrary at the time made it clear that he could be wrong. He understood this, but he still believed in his RESEARCH....(something Jake and SNTX probably can't even define).

You see, I have come to the conclusion that the only infallible idea is logic. Mathematics. Like I always say, 5+5=10. There is nothing anyone including your god can do about it. Its not the numbers that are infallible, its the mathematical process that is. It is the physics. It is the science.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad

I can tolerate their disagreement, despite their implausible counter arguments. What gets to me is that they won't even answer my questions.

I'm sorry that you didn't get an answer in the time frame that you apparently expected one in. My life does not even come close to revolving around the internet.

This is just a continuation of their selectiveness. They choose simply to ignore whatever contradicts them.

This is just another example of the unreasonable conclusions that you jump to.

Oh well, it'll be their disappointment when the maggots get tucked in.

I ask again:

The bible was written by mortals. Mortal men capable of lying, exaggeration and bias. It is not the word of "God" if such a being exists.

The words existed before those mortal men wrote them down. That is the one thing that is almost impossible for those who haven't answered our Fathers call to understand. The physical world is insignificant compared to the spiritual world. Death of the body is nothing compared to death of the soul. The words are spiritual and will never pass away. The words are insight and instruction in truth and spirit.

Why must you take every word of the bible as true if it was not made by the hand of the supreme being you worship?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."
John 1:1-5

Why not question it like you would ( I hope ) any other imperfect piece of literature, produced by imperfect human beings?

I have and continue to question it. Instruction to do just that is contained in scripture itself (Thessalonians 5:21). Contrasting scripture with other literature is an excellent idea. There is no other work like it. It is unique among the written word. Written over an expanse of time by many different people yet entirely harmonious, containing history, science, logic, wisdom, poetry, logic, prophecy, and genuine love.

The subject of biblical authority deserves and demands attention. I am sure there are threads here on the topic if you are interested in the response of others to your question. A lot of time has been dedicated to scriptural study both by people wanting to uphold it and those that seek to destroy it.

www.auburn.edu...

www.answersingenesis.org...

www.kulikovskyonline.net...

web.archive.org...://www.equip.org/free/DA310.htm

www.equip.org...

www.tektonics.org...

home.earthlink.net...

www.ronrhodes.org...

tektonics.org...

www.biblegateway.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The closest reference I remember was something that was close to the word Dragon, in the description of Lucifer,

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sntx

I have and continue to question it. Instruction to do just that is contained in scripture itself (Thessalonians 5:21). Contrasting scripture with other literature is an excellent idea. There is no other work like it. It is unique among the written word. Written over an expanse of time by many different people yet entirely harmonious, containing history, science, logic, wisdom, poetry, logic, prophecy, and genuine love.

Right, fair enough, it is a matter of faith. It has to be said your counterarguments hold absolutely no water from a neutral point of view. I will accept that these are your beliefs, as I can see I will not be able to change or even challenge them. Perhaps you look at common sense with the same disparaging attitude with which I view religion?

I'm off to argue with a brick wall...

But first, do you think it is absolutely out of the question that those who wrote the bible may have made mistakes? Even if it is the word of this "God" you speak of?

And if you can find me an example of logic in the bible it would be much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
[
Right, fair enough, it is a matter of faith. It has to be said your counterarguments hold absolutely no water from a neutral point of view. I will accept that these are your beliefs, as I can see I will not be able to change or even challenge them. Perhaps you look at common sense with the same disparaging attitude with which I view religion?

I share with you a disparaging attitude towards religion. Religion is based on the traditions of man as opposed to being based on the knowledge revealed to us by the father. Sense is something that I seek. As for it being common, well I doubt it is.

I'm off to argue with a brick wall...

But first, do you think it is absolutely out of the question that those who wrote the bible may have made mistakes? Even if it is the word of this "God" you speak of?

It is possible yes, but it is more likely that the mistakes are in the mind of those reading and interpreting the words without understanding.

And if you can find me an example of logic in the bible it would be much appreciated.

"But the greatest example is in Matthew 21:23-22:46, where Jesus stood out as the world’s foremost logician. There were six battles of the mind that day at the temple, and Jesus stood unvanquished. (For a better treatment of this topic see my father’s article Jesus’ Use of the Logical Dilemma.)

First, the Jewish leaders asked Jesus where he received the authority to do what He did. In response, Jesus gave them a logical dilemma which answered their question and yet left them with nothing they could use against Him.

Second, Jesus told three parables with which the Jewish leaders must agree, but in doing so they condemned themselves.

Third, the Pharisees asked Jesus if Roman taxes were lawful, trying to trap Him into angering either the Romans or the common people. But Jesus threw the question back at them in another dilemma exposing their false either or dilemma

Fourth, the liberal, skeptical Sadducees tried to show how absurd the idea of life after death was by presenting the dilemma of a woman who had seven husbands, one after another, and then died herself. Their question: whose wife would she be in the resurrection? Jesus destroyed their faulty reasoning by citing the Old Testament, how marriage plainly did not exist after death. Then came the most masterful move of the millennia. Jesus showed from the passage of the burning bush in Exodus that the logical implication of the tense of the verb is proved that God still was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Therefore there is indeed life after death.

Fifth, the Pharisees came again and tried to stump Jesus with a question Jewish theologians had been debating for a long time: "Which is the greatest commandment of the law?" But again, Jesus showed that upon the first command, and the second after it, all the other commands hung. No Jew could disagree.

Sixth, and last of all, Jesus Himself put forth a dilemma — a dilemma which, if the Jewish leaders answered, they would have to acknowledge who Jesus was. Jesus asked how it could be that David spoke of his son, the Messiah, as his Lord. The only way this could be true was if Christ was both born a son of David but also existed before David — as God the Son."
Nathaniel Bluedorn. from: www.christianlogic.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
well in job 40 vs 15 it clearly states the behemoth eats grass and we know about the herbivore dinosaurs right? and the in vs 20 it also states 'Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play' the HIM here represents the behemoth, in my view it's saying the behemoth is also a carnivore, as it feasts on other beasts which roam around the mountains. this is what i think, anyway these are one of the millions of questions i'm reserving for when He comes for me in His glory.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I just want to throw this little bomb out there:

The Bible IS NOT a history book.

Its a GUIDE created by man to help promote a BELIEF. Some of it may be based on reality, some of it is based on speculation, and some of it is made up to fill in the gaps. The Bible has meaning ONLY if you believe. Otherwise its just another opinion written in a book. So please stop trying to prove points by using it as refference material.

You wont see any TRUE refference to dinosaurs in the Bible because the book was written by man. And dinosaurs dont fit nicely into the story that the Bible portrays. So, even if the MEN who originally started to compile a refference eventually to be known as the Bible, knew about dinosaurs, they would have omitted them because it was contradictive to thier story.

So, no matter what you THINK you have read in the Bible, it does not mention a dinosaur in any way, shape, or form. And yes, I have read the Bible.

Stop questioning the Bible people, you will go to Hell if you do!! BE SCARED!! REPENT! Conform!

[edit on 18-2-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'll get to the point and answer the question in the post. No, dinasaurs were NOT mentioned in the bible.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
ok stop spreading fear now dear children..no one is going to hell for talking about a bible or for not believing in your god..

hell is a mental state..trust me on this one

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Dinosaurs were extinct before grass evolved.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join