It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motor Insurance roll of the dice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Right, f#cking motor insurance and the absurd VooDoo science that somehow gives you a quote that is spat out of a computer...

So some insight,

Every bloody year I have the car insurance lottery of getting a quote that is in proportion with what I actually want covered, I have a small Honda Camper van that is a really low insurance group and every bloody year I have to spend days attempting to find that one quote that is affordable.

The lunacy of it is that when you add options that should lower the policy it makes it double, case in point is I informed the broker that I now had access on my property to a fully locked compound with CCTV and right outside my front door etc etc and he came back telling me that it was going to be £200 more than if it was on my drive way???, how the f#ck can a secure gated and fenced compound that the public cannot access be less secure than my drive way where every pikey and his dog can come right up and rub up against it...

Also adding my Dad to the policy takes it down about 25%??, he is a old sod that has been around since Jesus was a apprentice and he somehow manages to lower my premium????.. How???...

I have found that if you phone and speak to enough operators even at the same company all it takes is the computer to roll the wheel of fortune and you can get a cheaper quote..

Anyway, I got my quote sorted and the all singing all dancing policy with everything covered was cheaper than the basic Third party fire and theft option??, again how do they get to this price???.....

This is a Rant as you can tell, I hate having to sort insurance, I would rather push barbed wire up my ass than do this every year!!!!..

RA

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Feel sorry for you. We pay about 400 USD or 40000 yen a year for full coverage on a new car, well , it is 3 years old now and paid for. A Vitz Toyota.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Insurance is basically a legalised protection racket. You've got to pay (whatever amount we say) or else!

It does seem totally random.. I've just got rid of a 1.2ltr fiat punto and obtained a 1.8 Astra Sri and my premium has gone DOWN?

Zero. Sense.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Feel sorry for you. We pay about 400 USD or 40000 yen a year for full coverage on a new car, well , it is 3 years old now and paid for. A Vitz Toyota.

michigan 2400/year

quit yer whining..

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

It sounds like the underwriting guidelines or criteria they use to determine your premium in the Philippines is a lot different than it is here in the states. I am licensed in insurance (and have the most experience with personal auto policies, as you are talking about), and the reasons your rates went up or down seem to be contradictory to what I'd see here in the West.

Sorry for your troubles, it sounds like a pain.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Insurance is basically a legalised protection racket. You've got to pay (whatever amount we say) or else!

Extortion money, Law Enforcement being the Mob enforcement branch for the protection racket:

If you don't pay protection you don't have the papers with you in the car, the police will tow it and leave you on the side of the road. You haven't actually committed any crime, per se.

Unless you can afford full coverage, you get 'limited' actual help when it comes to damage and injury to yourself. Ever tried to settle a claim? The other guys insurance doesn't ride to your rescue in the rain at night, EMT does. They don't fix you, the Hospital does. They don't show up with the keys to a new car on the side of the road, just a battery or tow.

Then they balk at settlement amounts, raise your rates, and you end up doing all the work of recovery, getting your car repaired or securing another one.

After a life time of payments they are rich beyond your wildest dreams.

edit on 26-1-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
My wife and I pay $1100 a year for auto insurance.
A 2013 f150
A 2012 fusion

Basically $3 a day to cover our butts.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Insurance is all based around averages.

Most compounds will be away from the house so higher risk.

Older drivers are, on average, a lower risk.

People with only TP insurance are higher risk. (If you don't care about your own car why will you care about others).

Don't you have comparison sites in your part of the world to check prices?

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

It sounds like the underwriting guidelines or criteria they use to determine your premium in the Philippines is a lot different than it is here in the states. I am licensed in insurance (and have the most experience with personal auto policies, as you are talking about), and the reasons your rates went up or down seem to be contradictory to what I'd see here in the West.

Sorry for your troubles, it sounds like a pain.

Nah this is UK, landed last night had to Insure vehicle this morning..

RA

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I miss insuring my old '86 300ZX. It was $20 a month, and a piece of crap old rotting sports car. I took it off the road and bought a brand new 2012 Sonic in... well, 2012, and just paid it off in November. I have paid the insurance company half the sticker price of the car in the meantime, which is nowhere near what it's worth now. I've never had an accident or ticket in my life, and I pay more for insurance now than my cousin who drives a truck for a living, has a 2013 Mustang GT, a 2002 Ford F-150 lightning, a 2008 Hummer H2, and a crazy fast motorcycle that I know nothing about other than he bought it new a few years ago and it was supposed to be the fastest motorcycle you could get at the time. He has numerous speeding tickets and yet insures all these vehicles (including the truck he drives for a living) and pays less than I do for my little economy car.

I hate insurance.

Oh, and I also work in a body shop so I get to hate them from a business perspective as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Your cousin who has all of those vehicles likely receives a number of different "credits" and discounts because his account is "rounded" with multiple vehicles being insured.

You can find ways to save on your auto, depending on who you're insured with.

Most super-regional carriers or national carriers can provide you with renter's insurance or homeowners insurance, which would significantly reduce your auto premium (by as much as 30%) - having the auto also reduces your homeowners premium.

An organization I'm contracted to work for is able to provide Renter's coverage for their customers that pays for itself (so they get to insure their personal property in their apartment for free) because the renter's policy lowers their auto policy so much.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm in the UK , now let me tell you what happens. First is your age (forget the car a moment) below 25 years old, Higher premium as younger people have more accidents. Putting anyone else on your insurance, if older, might lower your premium slightly but to the insurance company that's 2 people that could have an accident in your car so that's 2 people that could lose their no claims bonus. Quids in for the insurers.
Then there's where you live, your postcode. Insurers have maps of all the country and high crime areas you pay higher premiums. You keep your car in a secure compound tells the thieves you have something of value that you want to protect hence you are attracting more attention.
That's just personal to you.
Now about the car. What car? If you have an accident different cars take vastly different costs to repair.
Engine size. The bigger cc the more power you have and the more likely you will speed. Whether you don't speed or your the safest driver in the world they will still take you as a risk.
Now the real biggie, I'll put in another post.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Now for the biggie. You will be probable asked if you want a "black box", If you accept they will give you a slightly lower premium. The British insurance companies are trying to get this rolled out and make it compulsory. If you have a choice DO NOT HAVE ONE.
This is a vicious, pernicious piece of equipment. It will only benefit nuns and monks who drive around at 20 mph and do 200 miles a year.
This equipment, when fitted to your car, tells the insurance company second by second where you are on the road, what speed you are doing, if you are braking heavy, if you are accelerating heavy and in knowing just where you are on the road they will know the speed limit for that section of road, know if there are junctions near where you should be braking, bends that you might go around too fast etc. etc.
In saying that I can tell you (I don't care what your dad says) the man or woman has not been born or will be born who has not broken a speed limit sooner or later. Now think on that little spy in your car every time you drive it. The insurers can look at your past driving history and decide your a reckless driver (they wont care what you think or say) and up your premium.
Now the killer. When you have an accident they can look at what you were doing at the exact moments leading up to the accident and if they find any infringement they WILL negate your insurance claim.
AS been said they are an evil entity that we must have because it's been made mandatory by government.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I'm in the UK , now let me tell you what happens. First is your age (forget the car a moment) below 25 years old, Higher premium as younger people have more accidents. Putting anyone else on your insurance, if older, might lower your premium slightly but to the insurance company that's 2 people that could have an accident in your car so that's 2 people that could lose their no claims bonus. Quids in for the insurers.
Then there's where you live, your postcode. Insurers have maps of all the country and high crime areas you pay higher premiums. You keep your car in a secure compound tells the thieves you have something of value that you want to protect hence you are attracting more attention.
That's just personal to you.
Now about the car. What car? If you have an accident different cars take vastly different costs to repair.
Engine size. The bigger cc the more power you have and the more likely you will speed. Whether you don't speed or your the safest driver in the world they will still take you as a risk.
Now the real biggie, I'll put in another post.

Agree but with the slight correction that only the policy holder loses NCD.

The named driver would have to report the incident to their own insurer, which may affect their premium, but their NCD remains intact.
edit on 26-1-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join