It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump backs path to citizenship for 1.8 million DACA recipients

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Asking for now and promising later is a key strategy of the DNC. He really is a centrist at heart.

As has been said, the vast majority of people support the dreamers in the US by no fault of their own. We just want to stop the older 'dreamers' in other countries from getting their dreams of coming here illegally fulfilled.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I saw this on Facebook.It is a very good question.

🤔 IF DACA were allowed to stay in the USA— But lost VOTING RIGHTS for life- Would the Dem's still want them?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am not going to lose one moment's sleep over DACA recipients having the ability to become citizens. Not one. These people did not choose to break the law, any more than a toddler in the back seat of his father's getaway car during a bank robbery is a bank robber. We don't hold children responsible for the acts of their parents here.

That said, their parents are criminals. They broke the law by crossing the border without permission. We also do not condone crime here. We know from history that amnesty toward criminals invites more criminals. So yes, we need that border wall, yes, we need better border enforcement, yes, we need those hiring illegal immigrants behind bars instead of just fined. We need it all, or we will be looking at ten times this many children of illegal immigrants begging for legal status in ten years,

When you have a leak in a pipe, the first thing you do is turn off the water and fix it. You just don't keep putting buckets under it to catch the water as the stream gets bigger and bigger. The problem is not the DACA recipients and never was; the problem is unchecked illegal immigration. It produces crime, easy access to deadly drugs, extreme cost through entitlements, and division in the country. None of those are positive.

What amazes me is that I know both conservatives and liberals and talk to both regularly. What I hear from them and what I hear from here are about the same. Conservatives generally actually want the DACA recipients to stay, and are generally happy to hear Trump wants to keep them here. Liberals, on the other hand, say they want them to stay, but are generally more concerned about what Trump does than about what happens to the DACA recipients. I actually think if they could be offered a deal - Trump is impeached and removed from office in disgrace, in exchange for every single DACA recipient and any family members they might have being immediately removed from the country and dumped in the middle of a desert naked with no water - they would still go for having Trump impeached. Sorry, but that is not compassion where I come from; it is despicable.

For those who still want to bash trump because he didn't do enough yet (even though there is no deal and this is all negotiation), I ask one simple question:

What could he have said that you would be happy with?

If the answer is "nothing," you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle

🤔 IF DACA were allowed to stay in the USA— But lost VOTING RIGHTS for life- Would the Dem's still want them?

Bunch them up in Cali.

They need the help the Daca's can bring.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Oh god please. Just the other day you and your other Trumpites were saying that all DACA recipients should be forced to leave.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So you care more about the “crime” of illegal immigration rather than actual crimes such as you know... the continuing rise of school shootings or anything like that?

Mass labor migration is inevitable when it comes to wealthy developed countries such as the United States. Calling them “criminals” is absolutely ridiculous and self righteous. Please stop acting as if you are such 3 point hat toting patriot that has never committed any wrongdoing.

They’ve left war-torn/violence ridden/economically stunted nations to find a better lives for them and their families. The fact that you think that’s “criminal” is laughable.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: YungMahn

So you care more about the “crime” of illegal immigration rather than actual crimes such as you know... the continuing rise of school shootings or anything like that?

I have the capability to have opinions on multiple subjects at the same time. Why do you think condemning one crime is support for another?

Mass labor migration is inevitable when it comes to wealthy developed countries such as the United States.

Murder is inevitable as well as long as people have emotions. Shall we ignore that, too?

They’ve left war-torn/violence ridden/economically stunted nations to find a better lives for them and their families.

Without some form of vetting, we are therefore allowing the warring factions into our country as well. Thank you for pointing out that aspect of illegal immigration.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Still, it seems like a fair deal. 10-12 year path to citizenship. No vote in the meantime. End of chain migration to all but spouses and children and an end to the visa lottery program as well as funding for the wall.
The plan decimates the growth of 3rd world poor people flooding in to vote democrat.

NOW we will see if democrats actually give a stuff about those on DACA or, as I suspect, this was always about votes.

It's going to be fun to see this go to vote and DACA dreams getting crushed .... by Democrats... all after they shut down the govt over it.

Well played President Trump. Well played.
edit on 26/1/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: UKTruth
Sounds like he is going to do exactly what he said he would. Seems like a trend with your President. Must be refreshing to have a leader do what is right and not pander for votes 24/7.
He will get nothing but scorn from the left though... but I am sure he won't care.

And plenty of scorn from the Right wing. They feel betrayed. Remember he campaigned on "0" amnesty?

so what would you rather have? A president who evolves, learns, and adapts, or one who just campaigns for the next election?

There really is no making you folks happy.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111
For 30 BILLION dollars we could hire 600,000 border patrol agents and pay them 50,000 each .

so we would have a super secure border for about 8 months? ( you really don't understand payroll taxes and payroll in general, do you?)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111
For 30 BILLION dollars we could hire 600,000 border patrol agents and pay them 50,000 each .

so we would have a super secure border for about 8 months? ( you really don't understand payroll taxes and payroll in general, do you?)

More like money in general.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle

Well, the issue of who can vote in an election is a STATES RIGHT issue.

So I don't see how a federal policy can legally mandate who votes.

That said, in the unlikely case where this would happen - sure! I would. These people (I've met several) are as American as you are, culturally, linguistically, and in every other way. Many of them over the years have contributed a lot to America (like the well-known physican who came to America as a three year old and who was deported recently.)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: YungMahn
Mass labor migration is inevitable when it comes to wealthy developed countries such as the United States. Calling them “criminals” is absolutely ridiculous and self righteous. Please stop acting as if you are such 3 point hat toting patriot that has never committed any wrongdoing.

They’ve left war-torn/violence ridden/economically stunted nations to find a better lives for them and their families. The fact that you think that’s “criminal” is laughable.

There's one more side to immigration that I haven't seen discussed - they bring in a younger labor force.

While this MIGHT seem undesirable, our population is aging rapidly -- but we're not dying off rapidly. One country where this has happened is Japan (it's called "super-aging") and it's presenting a huge social and economic problem. They've shifted the age of retirement back, but at issue is that younger Japanese are not taking the more physical jobs (farming, labor, etc.) - but their aversion to immigrants and foreigners means that these sectors are failing or being outsourced. They're attempting to address this somewhat with robots but that's not a perfect solution.

Employers are even offering cash incentives for employees who have babies... however, this is not working as well as it might because Japanese are also marrying later and women are entering the workforce (and are not interested in staying home and taking care of kids and having a husband who works long hours that they only see briefly each day.)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

i do not consider myself a full fledged democrat but i am left leaning and i would offer that very premise as a compromise. i think it is a great idea and way to nullify the some of the fears of republicans.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Wow. It’s completely useless to even try here.

Comparing immigration to murder... just stop.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I was not comparing the two crimes in terms of severity. I was responding to your post. You stated that illegal immigration should not be considered a crime because it would always happen in a first-world economy. I countered that argument by showing how almost any crime could be said to not work completely and thus should not be considered a crime according to your argument. Yes, I used the example of murder. Was my statement not accurate?

It's called "debate."

Your literally rabid response to me, however, shows the real problem with Trump's attempts to fix immigration. It's not about the poor immigrants... never was. It's not about compassion.... never was. It's all about hating a man who won the Presidency so much that one would do anything, say anything, harm anyone, commit any act, just to try and somehow make him look bad.

There is no reason to oppose the wall if one believes in maintaining national security. The cost, $30 billion, which is the main reason I have heard for opposition, is illogical; in 2016, the cost to the Federal government for entitlements was $1 trillion (link), 33.3 times the expected cost of the wall. The project is huge and will employ a massive number of construction workers, stimulating the economy even further. It is also likely that the entitlement cost will decrease by substantially more than $30 billion, simply due to the lowered number of poor illegal immigrants using entitlements. There really is no downside, except for two possibilities: either those opposing the wall are actually desirable to destroy the culture of the United States, they want illegal immigration because of the votes it brings in (which includes the use of illegal headcounts in the US Census to increase Federal representation at the cost of other states), or they just hate Trump. The wall is his signature populist issue, and if it is built it will increase his popular support appreciably.

In my first post in this thread, I posed a simple question: is there anything Trump could have said that you would have agreed with? I have not heard your response to that question yet.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

This is positive, but it won't happen.

Democrats will sacrifice DACA recipients in order to not give Trump a win and a boost for the 2018 elections.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: JBurns

This is positive, but it won't happen.

Democrats will sacrifice DACA recipients in order to not give Trump a win and a boost for the 2018 elections.

Exactly. It's going to be pretty clear after shutting down the govt over this that Schumer and co don't really care at all. Stopping Trump getting a win is more important to them.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

they bring in a younger labor force.

While this MIGHT seem undesirable, our population is aging rapidly -- but we're not dying off rapidly.

Well, we could simply align ourselves with the alt-right, let them kill off Obamacare, Medicare AND Medicaid and that problem is solved.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
There are currently just under 700k enrolled DACA recipients so where will the other 1.1 million illegals come from?
Im not worried, at all. 1.8 - 2.5 . How many people actually registered their guns?

Your not going to see a flood of illegals all of a sudden, turn legal. They are here, not to be citizens, in the first place. why does everyone think they are somehow going to change course? Besides all the legal hurtles that will be put into place will repulse the vast majority of them.

Just like registering your gun, they know its a means of identifying them for a roundup.

"I'M from the government, I'm here to help you" LOL LOL LOL

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join