It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump backs path to citizenship for 1.8 million DACA recipients

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Ah, thank you!

I was looking to achieve a similar effect on another thread with the strike-out but couldn't figure it out

Let me see that in the final bill and it's a different story. Simply saying he might do something isn't enough. McConnell told Senators he'd hold a DACA related vote mid-January, but still didn't do it.

True, it would be certainly ideal (if not just for clarity) to get it written down. I am inclined to believe any such omission at the present time is simply due to lack of negotiation/discussion, but would also like to see this explicitly included/specified

LOL Republicans control both chambers of Congress so the Democrats can't bring a single bill onto the floor in either chamber. It's literally up to Republicans to get this started.

It is my hope that is what they were doing today. I believe Schumer's statement about "starting over/clean slate" (something like that) was an indicator that he was willing to sit back down at the table and talk. I think Trump was taking those first steps to meet him in the middle, and to get the ball rolling so to speak. So this certainly could have a really great outcome, even Lindsay Graham expressed hopefulness

I think we're having a misunderstanding on this part. I pointed out that the article only says that he "might" delay that deadline. It doesn't give any guarantees whatsoever. Politicians say they'll do things all the time but the only thing that matters is what they actually pass or sign into law.

Ah, yes. I was just talking about the initial deadline of 3/5, which was to give them several months to resolve their differences/concerns and get enough votes together IMO

Hopefully this will be the start of some real action

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TREESNAKE1111

Or u could hire 10,000 border agents at 60k plus benefits and pay them for ten years.

I think that would be more effective than a symbolic wall that won't stop human beings . Plus jobs .

Many of you focusing on the jobs of a few border agents are not seeing the bigger picture. The construction of this wall will boost our economy more regarding the actual production, manufacturing, and constructing. Many more folks will be employed across the board.

This wall is an investment for America and it will indeed provide interest in the long run.

Honestly, I am supporting Trump on this. He does seem to be attempting to create a win/win for both parties involved. I will acknowledge that he will probably have to push an EO for DACA until after the 2018 elections. Dems seem to be strangle holding our government until then. They haven't recognized that America seems to be awakening to politics and need to change up their game plan.
edit on 1 25 2018 by CynConcepts because: Tried to fix quote

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Re: www.foxnews.com...

Why wait until February 5th to introduce this Immigration deal? That's just 3 days before the next potential government shutdown. Less time for the children in Congress to argue with each other over this issue?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

He's playing nice and trying to reach a compromise that will benefit all.

If they keep screwing around he may decide to stop being nice. He would be well within his Constitutional authority to send ICE out and just round them all up and stick them on a barge.

I would send them to Germany, since they seam to love unchecked immigration.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Krakatoa

Did you actually read the article? He doesn't give a single guarantee on DACA recipients or Dreamers. So they still would be subject to deportation now. He's simply asking for everything he wants immediately without guaranteeing a single thing in return.

I don't think the DACA immigrants can be deported until the Federal Judge lifts the ban he imposed on their deportation?

A federal judge in California temporarily blocked the Trump administration's decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program late Tuesday night.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco granted a request by California and other states to keep DACA going, at least until lawsuits can play out in court.

Source - dated Jan 10, 2018: www.npr.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

For what it's worth, I don't really care about the wall. I think it's stupid, a waste of money, and won't have an impact on any of the actual problems related to undocumented workers. However, our federal govt also wastes money on other pointless pork barrel projects so it simply isn't an outrageous issue to me. I guess my stance would be summed up as "Why stop a fool from wasting his money on a false sense of security?"

I don't know enough about the visa lottery program to give an informed opinion about it. But from what I've read, I support it. So based on what I know, I'm against the proposal to end it in this immigration overhaul.

I'm completely against reducing the practice of letting legal citizens sponsor immigrant family members. After all of that "family values" talk from the right, it's quite telling that right wingers and the supposed "Christian right" would be against letting legal immigrants and legal citizens reunite their families.

Now that that's out of the way, I think it's important to note that Trump's suggestions and demands have almost nothing to do with the debate within Congress. Trump can promise in writing that he'd sign pro-DACA legislation right now, but that doesn't mean that Senate Majority Leader McConnell in the Senate nor Speaker of the House Ryan will include pro-DACA legislation in any bills they bring to their respective floors. The proverbial ball is in their court right now, not his.

That's why I'm skeptical about any of these things he says he'd be open to doing on this issue. And I'm even more skeptical because of the 10-12 year potential time frame for Dreamers because anything can happen in that time period. Even if this current Congress agreed to such a proposal, the very next Congress might write something completely different next year. So that proposal has no real weight to it (not to mention that it's not a clear proposal; just something he's reportedly open to).

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I'm not sure. I was just responding to someone who was saying that they'd be deported now without this current set of proposals.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

DACA was an executive order. The court has no authority to block Trump's repealing of it. The administration could go to the SC at any time and get the judge's ruling overturned.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
TRUMP HAS SEEN THE LIGHT

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Who can trust Trump? He has flipflopped on so many things, he can't seem to make up his mind. Tomorrow he will deny what he just said....

www.politifact.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Something... something... something.... Russia is influencing Trump to trick people into thinking that Trump is not racist!

God damn clever bots!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I fully support DACA

Don't make America Convoluted Again!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: TREESNAKE1111

Or u could hire 10,000 border agents at 60k plus benefits and pay them for ten years.

Long-term thinking isn't their strong suit.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: UKTruth
Sounds like he is going to do exactly what he said he would. Seems like a trend with your President. Must be refreshing to have a leader do what is right and not pander for votes 24/7.
He will get nothing but scorn from the left though... but I am sure he won't care.

And plenty of scorn from the Right wing. They feel betrayed. Remember he campaigned on "0" amnesty?

I consider myself a part of the Right wing and I LOVE IT. Great President with great ideas to Make America Great Again.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

DACA was an executive order. The court has no authority to block Trump's repealing of it. The administration could go to the SC at any time and get the judge's ruling overturned.

The Supreme Court has a "fast track" process? I always thought it took months, if not years, to get a case heard. And then they don't announce the decision for several more months.

Could the Supreme Court overturn this Federal Judge's decision to let DACA continue, this Spring or Summer? At any rate, the March 4th "deadline" is now meaningless, as far as I can tell.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

Sounds like he is going to do exactly what he said he would. Seems like a trend with your President. Must be refreshing to have a leader do what is right and not pander for votes 24/7.
He will get nothing but scorn from the left though... but I am sure he won't care.

And plenty of scorn from the Right wing. They feel betrayed. Remember he campaigned on "0" amnesty?

I consider myself a part of the Right wing and I LOVE IT. Great President with great ideas to Make America Great Again.

A lot of Trump voters will be perfectly fine with it. And do Democrats really think the hard liners on immigration will vote for the D candidate in 2020 if Trump doesn't deport everyone? They still agree with him on a bunch of other issues.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Trump voter as well, and I'm perfectly fine with it. In fact, I think it is a great idea that shows his compassion for these 'children' (many now adults).

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Those folks lamenting this "he said deport them all" in his campign, and now he is flip flopping on it. See...he's unbalanced, etc... Folks thinking that way obviously never negotiated from a position of strength. Perhaps never at all.

1. When negotiating you ask for more than you want as an opening offer (his campaign promise)
2. You wait to hear the oppositions offer (the Democrats wanting no wall and 100% DACA to citizenship)
3. Negotiations begin, where there is a give and take and an agreement is reached somewhere between the two
4. When negotiating from a position of power, you can make demands and stand more firm, you can threaten to walk away form the table (and might do so as a tactic) until you get positive movement from your opponent.

Trump knows how this works, it is his expertise in this area that has kept him afloat all his life. This is not much different....except for the fact that until now, U.S. negotiations were from a position of weakness, where you fold at the first sign of pressure.

That time is over.

edit on 1/25/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Nope, you are 100% wrong. These people didn't commit the crime of illegal immigration, their parents did. Thank you for trying to speak for us right wingers but we can obviously take care of our own talking points.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Gotta love the folks who want to hold people to everything they said in a campaign too. If that's true then Obama is a gay hating bigot. He was against gay marriage when he ran in '08.

They just don't get it. We all knew "the wall" was a colloquialism and that they weren't gonna build a literal 2000 mile wall like a Great Wall of China on steroids. We all knew they weren't gonna round up every illegal and deport them. On and on. The only reason it's news to Democrats is because they've been lied to by the media for 2 years straight.
edit on 25 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join