It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LG is raising washing machine prices due to new Trump tariff

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

None, Whirlpool is the only US washer manufacturer that builds 82% of what they sell here. They also have the largest share of the US market and are the largest appliance maker in the world.
LG is raising their prices to make more money and pay less tariff. Simple as that.

edit on 25-1-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Speed Queen products are designed to last a long time. They do cost a little more, but the price difference is quite understandable when you consider the machines are manufactured with durable, quality materials, and that they are built to last a lot longer than your typical big box brand machines.
www.valmg.com...

edit on 25-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Perhaps you should read the entire OP and understand what it say before ignorantly spouting off about the citizens of another country?

I did. I stand by my claim. Americans pay too little. It's all relative to standards of cost of living in various countries, of course, but given the income levels in the USA, the average American pays way less, and can afford way more, than even in the countries that produce this stuff.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

No actually it could be that simple. Look into China's trade rules. They are pro China-we are pro corp.

Sheez, what do you think China is, it's a dirty great corp...the government owns much of the big business!
That's nothing much to do with what I am talking about in the niddy critty.
For instance, most people like the new style little mini, superb quality, build, still cheeky and so on, BMW are the owners of the marque. The engine is built up in Germany, the car is assembled in the UK, all true...that sounds simple enough however, the raw crankshaft cast for the engine is made in France, it then goes to a UK factory where it is honed to it's by default, technically required perfect shape. After that the crankshaft goes to Munich where it is put in the engine, then the engine is sent to the UK, and if the car is going to Europe 'mainland' it crossess the sea once again. But that's only one small, albeit important component. The actual engines are from differing sources, and collaborations, France Germany etc, and everything isassembled in the UK...and that is a quality product, start to finish.
However, it is unconceivable that the car could be built entirely in the tiny UK alone, on it's own today, but it's still a relative success nevertheless, but many countries are building vehicles today, and getting better and better at doing it in everywhichway, that includes the sourcing of all those same little parts that make up the whole.
Look at this picture, LD Discovery, an expensive car, but relatively mainstream, and it's make up of parts,

Use the link,
files.abovetopsecret.com...
This is how things are done now, but any EU tariffs will kill it*, and the Mini** and much of the others in the UK.
At the end of it, it's the same thing for America, they need to compete with the world, but they still need the world, not a wall.. as well.

*TATA, an Indian company, owns Land Rover, Jaguar and other interests in the UK, known to be loyal to the UK but also pragmatic in business.
**BMW have been thinking re the Mini, pledging to build an electric Mini...but gives an obvious political advantage thus far, while that is also just being pragmatic, and could just pull out of the UK eventually anyway....and why not?
At the end of it, it's the same thing for America, they need to compete with the world, but they still need the world, not a wall.. as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Yes, yes things are built in other countries and many parts come from many different areas of the world.

This is not news.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Speed Queen products are designed to last a long time. They do cost a little more, but the price difference is quite understandable when you consider the machines are manufactured with durable, quality materials, and that they are built to last a lot longer than your typical big box brand machines.
www.valmg.com...

They probably do, however, one small, but relevant item to that and the thread et al..

"The Speed Queen microprocessor control used on home retail machines was designed
by Speed Queen and manufactured to commercial standards in Europe. It has been
used worldwide on all of our commercial models since 2008."

D'yuh see how it works once again?
www.clarkwholesale.net...

I guess not.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So looks like it will be who breaks first, if LG starts to lose their shirts they will move as much manufacturing to the US as needed to maintain profits.

Odds are they are hoping trump is gone next election and a more anti-tariff president takes over.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I already said I recognize that there are components made in other countries. Should I type it harder?

This whole ride we are on is called race to the bottom. We were told on the 1990's that the service econ was the way to go. THat was a load of BS but the corps profited.
Then on the 2000 we were told globalization was good, another total BS but the corps profited.

But we are starting to have the whole system stood on it's head by Trump and this tariff. We will see what happens.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I already said I recognize that there are components made in other countries. Should I type it harder?

This whole ride we are on is called race to the bottom. We were told on the 1990's that the service econ was the way to go. THat was a load of BS but the corps profited.
Then on the 2000 we were told globalization was good, another total BS but the corps profited.

But we are starting to have the whole system stood on it's head by Trump and this tariff. We will see what happens.

So you agree about something or other then??

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

So you agree about something or other then??

Your reply doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
So looks like it will be who breaks first, if LG starts to lose their shirts they will move as much manufacturing to the US as needed to maintain profits.

Odds are they are hoping trump is gone next election and a more anti-tariff president takes over.

I dare say that might be some of the thinking, or they might just bugger off. Where I live certain American companies did just that..and went somewhere else, then buggered off from there and so on.
Only shows that anything Trumpy is out of time.

As an aside..sort of, Obama had placed tariffs on China, they failed, the exports were channelled through other countries, and /or even those countries moved their manufacture to somewhere else.
Now, they probably have all the tech they presently need to carry themselves alone if necessary to any next crisis, whicn really shouldn't necessary if only the WTO as a whole could read Chinese intentions properly, which they haven't.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ehh, 1st world problems.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Krakatoa

thats the thing about freedom and capitalism, is LG your only choice?

LG makes products that are normally cheaper and of equal or higher quality then major band names because they are not charging a premium for the name.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
LG can raise as much as they want, but they won't be able to compete with Whirlpool.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Sorry, I didn't see your question.

It's a speed queen. I love it.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't care what LG charges or doesn't. I only buy Maytags for every appliance we own.

Fred..

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join