It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LG is raising washing machine prices due to new Trump tariff

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: seasonal

....If the world wants access to US markets, they should be required to build 51% of the machine in the US unless they meet specified pay and worker treatment conditions.

It's not even as simple as that, much of the worlds goods that make any assembly, are sourced all over the world in bits and pieces. Very few manufacturers make all those bits. Cars are just one, albeit expensive example.

No actually it could be that simple. Look into China's trade rules. They are pro China-we are pro corp.

edit on 25-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Imma give ol' Walter Washer & Donna Dryer (yep, I name my machines) a big hug, they deserve it for being well worth what I paid. They're not one of the American-made Maytag models, they're one of the foreign-made Maytag models, and work better than the f#ing Kenmores I had before them. I would go so far as to use the word "superior" here.
Granted, the Kenmore set was an old hand-me down set from the 90's, and had almost ALL of their parts replaced over the years besides shell & drums, they were far from efficient & never worked right. Walt & Donna were an enormous step up there -- never had ANY error codes pop up, no odd/abnormal cycles/sounds/etc, and the electric dropped noticeably. Water did, too, but that was included in the rent anyway. Electric & water usage are a no-brainer for the difference in age alone, though, so that really doesn't count.
The most I've had to do with these 2 was tighten the occasional nut & bolt, physically clean out the outgoing lines, clean out accumulated interior dust (basic maintenance, IOW) and replace ONE drum spring. That's it. Even if I have to replace the motherboard some day, it's far cheaper than a new machine is. And it's not hard to do. And honestly,I'm sticking with what works, not with where it's made. F tariffs, I'm still buying foreign.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is the 2nd time corporate rule of US government has been celebrated on ATS.

Interesting.

Times are certainly changing.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Oddly enough I just got rid of my Kitchen Aid manual can (tin) opener it was a disaster. I bought the same kind as you off Ebay, the local stores only carry foreign made garbage. And yes it works great.

edit on 25-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I mean what is good about making it harder for Americans to buy goods?

Americans are spoilt.

They have been paying too little for too long for everything.

It's time the US starts paying what other people in the world pay to buy stuff.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Krakatoa

US Manufacturers of those goods will now have the opportunity to compete on a more even playing field, as the tariffs are meant to offset stuff like the slave labor used to make goods overseas.

Yeah right, that should be the idea, but don't dare give try to sneak in that this is Trump's idea to tariff, he doesn't give a toss about slave labour, he's used that himself, he gets stuff from China...you know China? who he like also to argy bargy about, shirts ties, glasses, suits, home decorations, in fact products from, China, the Netherlands, Mexico, India, Turkey, Slovenia, Honduras, Germany, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Vietnam and South Korea...and when you even do that, the transit of all that stuff gives foreign workers jobs right up to hitting American shores.

Now, I look into my glass ball...Ah! I see Trump putting a tariff on Chinese steel, but China is back a bit there 10th biggest importer to US, much of it comes from er, Canada and da,da! Mexico...but their allies aren't they... or were they, (once all the tariff details recommended come out that is) Oh! I nearly forgot, Trump Kosha vodka...Israel, although a little birdy tells me it's actually not Kosha.
With all that, there's nothing I can think of that you could make up, and that's probably not the half of it....wait, I forgot something, Trump's very dodgy University...I do believe it encouraged 'outsourcing' in it's business blurb...

edit on 25-1-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

I mean what is good about making it harder for Americans to buy goods?

Americans are spoilt.

They have been paying too little for too long for everything.

It's time the US starts paying what other people in the world pay to buy stuff.

Perhaps you should read the entire OP and understand what it say before ignorantly spouting off about the citizens of another country?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My HE washer is now sitting out in my driveway. POS. I went down to the local appliance store, paid a little more, but bought a NON HE commercial grade washer, the one all the dairy farmers around here use. And it was made in Minnesota.

IF you have hard water (well water) like I do, HE washers are a huge joke.

There are many washers out there, besides LG, but if they want to build them here, good for them.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Exactly right.................. It gets manufacturing going again. Given time local parts suppliers might well be able to get their prices right along with quality and take over from foreign suppliers. This is increasingly looking possible with the use of robots that make manufacturing at home competitive. Then like magic the country gets its manufacturing back with all the benefits it brings to communities that exist / develop around the plants.

originally posted by: Jubei42
How much of the actual production is done locally?
I can see a scenario where production gets reduced to assembly just to be able to slap a 'made in the usa' label on it.

And wouldn't that require local people to be employed not only to assemble, but to deal with the logistics and operating of the plant? That is a lot of jobs locally, and if that money made by the employees also gets spent locally, the the start of a growing economy begins.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

It's not corporate rule it's leveling the playing field. Now if we had dollar an hour wages then all would be good!!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

OK what kind of washer is it I'm really ??? I thought Ohio was a big appliance making area?/

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Look, its not like trade protection is some newfangled concept. Trump stated he would impose tariffs to improve the home economy. That is what happened. He gets credit for doing what he said he'd do. It doesn't matter if he cares about me or you on a personal level.

You can argue the merits of what he is choosing to impose tariffs on....but for the love of God, drop the crap about trying to make everything into "bad Trump" and discuss this stuff honestly.

Do you support the tariff? If so, why? If not, why? Anything beyond that, or closely related info, is of no interest to me here.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
a reply to: peck420
It's not corporate rule it's leveling the playing field. Now if we had dollar an hour wages then all would be good!!

What other US appliance manufacturers are present on the claim?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
How much of the actual production is done locally?
I can see a scenario where production gets reduced to assembly just to be able to slap a 'made in the usa' label on it.

So long as that remains economical, sure....why not?

Even better, save on the brick and mortar, and begin outsourcing to "work at home" models. That way you could homeschool your kids while still holding down a job, or some other positive change to individual lifestyle?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
you do understand, that IS the point of tariffs, don't you?

It's to increase the prices on outside good, so people will buy locally produced products made by local works.

Maybe factories will return to the uS and hire people too.

People with jobs spend more.

Wonder if the new jobs will be temp jobs-cheaper.

Were so far gone , I don't ever see the Corporatocracy ever going back.

The formula for maximized profits won't allow it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Save us Hillary.

She can't.
Her leaded boots are drowning her in uncertainty of wishful thoughts.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Krakatoa

These young people have no clue how good appliances used to be. Fridges used to last 30 years min, dishwashers would actually clean your dishes. Don't even get me started on Washers and dryers, remember when they actually used water!
These new fangled appliances are pretty, but they don't do the job, you have to run them twice sometimes, how does that save energy/water?

And they're built to last no longer than 5 years...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The Cognitive Dissonance is #ing EPIC.

10/10

Might Read Again.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The only way will be walk outs and company hired goons stomping striking workers. This would solve alot of problems.

But then it also creates the issue we had in the 1990's with auto manufacturing. There has to be a equitable pay/profit agreement.

Good luck, Germany seems to have this labor stuff mostly licked.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I just looked at the brand of my Washer. It's LG. The washer gets clothes really clean, but if the load of clothes is not balanced, it won't spin. Auto Refills with water, agitates a bit, drains and tries to spin again. Will do this 3 times and then shut down. Very annoying to have to keep an eye/ear on it like that.

Next one will be Whirlpool. Friends with Whirlpools don't have this out-of-balance issue if one side is a little heavier than the other.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join