It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LG is raising washing machine prices due to new Trump tariff

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

In the US there is a washing machine CO called Speed Queen. Anyone wants a washer that lasts and lasts, that is where you go. whirlpool is the chevy of appliances.

If the world wants access to US markets, they should be required to build 51% of the machine in the US unless they meet specified pay and worker treatment conditions.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Krakatoa
It's the old, old argument that has been going on for two centuries now.
Import tariffs are good for local producers and the people who work for them, bad for consumers.

But it's gone too far. Everything in our local shop is made in asia. All the young kids have no future there's nothing for them to do. Then the drug society takes over. Blimey I swear it's like a scene from Thriller on our local streets, kids zombie out all over the place, communities wrecked so a couple of directors can make more profit from shifting essential white good production overseas. Good on Trump for standing up for the man in the street not the directors

I agree with that, people should always buy at home, and the price and quality should also be good, but it's the happy medium that has gone awry. The home producers need to face a reality too, that means having to take a less of a profit to bring back the business, there are not many other ways to do it other than slashing wages, and I dare say that's a big no,no. Unions will have to do some thinking as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Yeah, but with the Trump Tax breaks, the ones enjoying the most savings can now send their clothes to be washed by hand... Soon We will tire of the "winning!! Screw everyone else..."

Maybe YOU will tire of it, I love every single "W" that we can get!! Keep'em coming!!

Besides, I buy only products made here in the good old US of A. My neighbor builds stuff for Maytag, and every major appliance in our home is Maytag, after he tells me that it's made here.

Fred..

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

I must admit LG does make some excellent appliances, heck my fridge is one...but I think my point is still valid😉

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If tariffs are so peachy, why not just ban imports altogether?

It would certainly spur the rebirth of many an American industry....Eventually.

Hopefully.

If I were in LG’s shoes, in addition to raising the prices on those products I export to the US, I’d open a plant in the US as well;

But here’s the rub,

I’d only manufacture the cheapest, most basic products in my US plant, the ones no one really wants to buy.

My prestige products, the ones I still import, would gain the cache that justifies their premium pricing.

And, when I eventually close my US plant(s), because those product lines are underselling,

I just write off the losses against my US taxes.

Thank you US taxpayers for your kind subsidies!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Sure there has to be a bit of give and take. In this circumstance it seems to be LG versus Whirlpool. As far as I'm concerned I don't give a hoot whether the product on sale is local or foreign. It just doesn't bother me. What is totally important is the seller needs to make the product in the locality. We had car companies that were selling tarted up crap back in the early 80's and they fell by the wayside due to Japanese competition, but they made loads better vehicles and now they make them here through Maggie's incentives bless her soul. If Whirlpool can't make a good product they need to disappear and let LG takeover............... Totally fair as long as LG employ Yanks to make them and get the USA localities businesses and neighbourhoods buzzing again from supply chain knock on

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
you do understand, that IS the point of tariffs, don't you?

It's to increase the prices on outside good, so people will buy locally produced products made by local works.

And you do understand the need to read the entire OP posting, right? I suggest you read it again, and you will see how you didn't understand my original point.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thats OK doing everyone a favor reliability LG is all ways last, top would be Electrolux then GE,Maytag,Kenmore then Samsung and LG usually fight for last place. Just went through buying a new washer dryer and wouldn't even consider LG.
I decided on GE after looking at reliability.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

....If the world wants access to US markets, they should be required to build 51% of the machine in the US unless they meet specified pay and worker treatment conditions.

It's not even as simple as that, much of the worlds goods that make any assembly, are sourced all over the world in bits and pieces. Very few manufacturers make all those bits. Cars are just one, albeit expensive example.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It's the old, old argument that has been going on for two centuries now.
Import tariffs are good for local producers and the people who work for them, bad for consumers. If the home population includes producers and consumers and people who are both at the same time, then it is necessary to strike a balance somewhere and something has to give.

I agree, we need to return to a balance between protectionist legislation and capitalist free market economics. The last 15 - 20 years it has swung wildly over to the side of producers. So much so that taking advantage of unfair work and environmental regulations that exist in other countries has decimated the local job markets.

I am happy it is beginning to swing back, but we must be vigilant to ensure it does not swing too far.

link   

US Manufacturers of those goods will now have the opportunity to compete on a more even playing field, as the tariffs are meant to offset stuff like the slave labor used to make goods overseas.

As a person who prefers buyings the most local I can, and detests impoverished slavery, I applaud this. The only way I won't applaud it is if US manufacturers cannot provide a quality of goods that makes it worth my while. If im paying more, i expect to not have planned obsolescence pulling money out of my pocket.

link   
a reply to: seasonal

Thanks for the heads up about Speed Queen Seasonal. Even though a Brit I go out of my way to buy USA products (anything not made in asia basically) but do love Made in USA products. Found a tin opener called Eazy Duz It Made in USA. Every time I use it it's just fantastic! Made like nothing else out there, totally ace.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

Hopefully.

If I were in LG’s shoes, in addition to raising the prices on those products I export to the US, I’d open a plant in the US as well;

But here’s the rub,

I’d only manufacture the cheapest, most basic products in my US plant, the ones no one really wants to buy.

My prestige products, the ones I still import, would gain the cache that justifies their premium pricing.

And, when I eventually close my US plant(s), because those product lines are underselling,

I stopped reading at your opening line of hyperbole.

Being a drama queen does not help your position....and IMO nullifies anything you have to say on the topic.

Shame really.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

Hopefully.

But here’s the rub,

Exactly...if they want to reduce tariffs, they need to produce domestic goods.

The Chicken War resulted in the tariffs applied to light trucks that we see today. This is why a Ford pickup, with less materials involved, costs more than a Ford sedan: to "get back" at Germans for what Nixon thought were unfair trade practices, he slapped a tariff on the light truck. This meant that the wildly popular VW bus was then priced outside of what people would actually pay for it.

It also resulted pickup trucks being grossly over priced. But you have seen Toyota and Nissan open domestic plants to produce light duty trucks for domestic sales. And its worked pretty well.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

See you don't own a profitable business.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It's to increase the prices on outside good, so people will buy locally produced products made by local works.

Maybe factories will return to the uS and hire people too.

People with jobs spend more.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: milano
That's fine....I love LG tv's and I'm still using my LG3 cell phone! But their washing machines suck monkey balls. Ours required repair for electrical issue at 2yrs. Proud of my LG3 though....it's like 150 years old in cell phone years

Bingo! Not only LG washers are horrible, but LG refrigerators are too. Our refrigerator had a cascading failure after 3 years that required $1,300 in repairs, but thankfully the LG repairman explained how defective the main circuit board was to LG headquarters, and they authorized him to fix it for free.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Maybe factories will return to the uS and hire people too.

People with jobs spend more.

Wonder if the new jobs will be temp jobs-cheaper.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How much of the actual production is done locally?
I can see a scenario where production gets reduced to assembly just to be able to slap a 'made in the usa' label on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
How much of the actual production is done locally?
I can see a scenario where production gets reduced to assembly just to be able to slap a 'made in the usa' label on it.

And wouldn't that require local people to be employed not only to assemble, but to deal with the logistics and operating of the plant? That is a lot of jobs locally, and if that money made by the employees also gets spent locally, the the start of a growing economy begins.

Sure sounds better than empty shuttered factories, rampant drug use, and crime driving out the local residents and businesses (see Detroit).

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join