It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump offers a path to citizenship for some dreamers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The negotiator makes his move. Now the heat is on the Democrats to respond.

There are strings attached to the offer and while many feel this goes too far...both camps, this potential deal will be an improvement over the current situation, immigration-wise and the overall gridlock.

www.washingtonpost.com... utm_term=.e3f8b03944cb
edit on 25-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

this I like. offer them a chance to get their citizenship, and see what they do with that chance. If they really want it, they will work for it. If not, then they will have to go back home. This could even open up opportunities for small businesses to form, helping them obtain their status.

Lets hope the left is smart enough to understand that "the wall" isn't just some bricks that a ladder can be used to climb, but a deterrent for those wishing to break our immigration laws by entering the country illegally. Unless the laws aren't all that important.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

My sentiments exactly.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
human beings as political bargaining chips. only in America

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Yea, gotta love them good ol' (D)'s

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
That is about $43,500 per dreamer. That sounds reasonable to me. I think building a wall and paving a way for citizenship for dreamers and those covered by DACA is a good compromise.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Really? Name me even one political process that doesn't effect 'humans'. None.

Someone wins, someone loses in every one of them...Deal with it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What happened to F them criminals rapist hombres, now its haha those dems are so losing it. Getting harder and harder to follow the stuff you guys spew on the daily.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It seems to me that most people don't realize what's going on. The drug cartel's control the border to the south. Meaning about 95% ,or more, of those jumpers are paying the cartel to cross. That cost starts at $3000 per person, per attempt. If you get caught you have to pay again to try again. The farther away you are the more it costs. Now how do you figure these, poor people, are able to pay that? Those who don't pay and try to go alone take a chance of getting cought by CBP. They could also get caught by cartel runners or guides. CBP will just deport them. The runners might kidnap them and hold them for ransom, or just kill them as a lesson for others. Once here they live where told, do what their told to do. By us not doing anything about them being here is allowing the drug cartel's to operate unchecked in this country. I have watched as about a 2 square mile area of Tucson was sold to person's unknown. The people who lived there were run out of their homes by a rise in property crimes. Now the entire neighborhood is Mexican. It's now used to store drugs and a stopping point for illegals. That's US soil under control of a foreign power. This is going on across the country. If we don't do something soon we'll be just as bad as Mexico

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm actually quite pleased to see this. Path to citizenship for Dreamers in exchange for his wall and increased border security is something I think most D's can get behind.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
What happened to F them criminals rapist hombres, now its haha those dems are so losing it. Getting harder and harder to follow the stuff you guys spew on the daily.

The "criminals rapist hombres" won't be eligible.

Not all Tunas get to be StarKist.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Why do some people repeatedly lump all those individual illegal immigrants into the same bucket when making a retort, yet scream to the roof of them being individuals when it is convenient to their narrative.

Ohhh....wait, I just answered my own question.

edit on 1/25/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is as funny as people saying he cannot build a wall. The wall is already approved. He just needs to resecure funding that was there already.

Now, with illegals, he is simply saying that there is a path if they want to take it. Telling them to USE THE EXISTING LAW as a path to citizenship. If he was to extend the March date for DACA protectees I would be fine with that as long as there is a plan for them. It will also allow for more deportation of criminals because those who are not criminal will want to stay and not protest those who will be removed. It is not blanket amnesty....

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

And just who are those criminals, rapist, and bombers. We have no clue, and that's the point. Hi my name is John Smith (Mr. average guy). Or is it really Bob Jones (Just released from prison for the rape and murder of a child)? With no way to identify them we'll never know who's who.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

That's your personal issue, not ours. Dreamers are kids. the rest you named tend not to be kids....

Got it? Good.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

But wouldn't a more effective, not to mention profitable, solution be to legalize marijuana? This is the prime moneymaker for a lot of these cartels. Eliminate the black market and they no longer have a place to sell their product. If you weaken the cartels then you're going to see a lot fewer coyotes.

At which point you can focus on dealing with the majority of the people that come here illegally. Those that cross the border legally and then overstay their visa. Go after the companies that hire these people, possibly with hefty fines (hey more moeny going to the government!). Eventually they'll be forced to stop hiring illegals meaning there's no longer an incentive for them to come here. At least not illegally.

Not only will these two measures be effective curbs on illegal immigration and profitable but they come with other added bonuses as well. For example, pretty much the entire illicit drug trade, regardless of ties to the cartels, is based on a foundation of marijuana. Cut out that revenue for the dealers and you significantly weaken the drug trade across the country leading to lower crime rates. And by stopping companies from hiring illegal immigrants for dirt cheap that now forces them to hire American citizens improving the economy even more.

The wall on the other hand is a massive expense that only helps to possibly curb part of the problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

That's your personal issue, not ours. Dreamers are kids. the rest you named tend not to be kids....

Got it? Good.

So I guess being just 12 or 15 years old they can't pull a trigger, or run drugs. They're just kids right.
Of course there is that thing in Florida. Two 12 year old kids, a boy and a girl, caused a class mate to kill herself because of cyber-bulling. And the kid last week that opened fire in his school. He was what 15 I think. But he'll they're just kids, it's not their fault.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Got it? Good.

So I guess being just 12 or 15 years old they can't pull a trigger, or run drugs. They're just kids right.
Of course there is that thing in Florida. Two 12 year old kids, a boy and a girl, caused a class mate to kill herself because of cyber-bulling. And the kid last week that opened fire in his school. He was what 15 I think. But he'll they're just kids, it's not their fault.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

We still want to get rid of criminals. That is the point since on the trail. They are not sending their best. That does not mean there are not good hardworking people it means that there needs to be things in place to remove the bad people and allow a path for the good. This is good immigration policy.

A blanket EO like DACA is not and it is not what the Dreamers initially wanted. DACA was for votes. Plain and simple. It was to pause the Dreamer push and turn a blind eye.

I am waiting for the Deblasio to get his warrant for his sanctuary city...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: MikeA

But wouldn't a more effective, not to mention profitable, solution be to legalize marijuana? This is the prime moneymaker for a lot of these cartels. Eliminate the black market and they no longer have a place to sell their product. If you weaken the cartels then you're going to see a lot fewer coyotes.

At which point you can focus on dealing with the majority of the people that come here illegally. Those that cross the border legally and then overstay their visa. Go after the companies that hire these people, possibly with hefty fines (hey more moeny going to the government!). Eventually they'll be forced to stop hiring illegals meaning there's no longer an incentive for them to come here. At least not illegally.

Not only will these two measures be effective curbs on illegal immigration and profitable but they come with other added bonuses as well. For example, pretty much the entire illicit drug trade, regardless of ties to the cartels, is based on a foundation of marijuana. Cut out that revenue for the dealers and you significantly weaken the drug trade across the country leading to lower crime rates. And by stopping companies from hiring illegal immigrants for dirt cheap that now forces them to hire American citizens improving the economy even more.

The wall on the other hand is a massive expense that only helps to possibly curb part of the problem.

That would be great if it worked that way. Trouble is it doesn't. Using pot as you say to weaken the cartel's. Cops currently have no way to know if it was bought legal or not. Thousands of acres of US national forests are being used to grow illegal pot by cartel members. They're doing it to bypass the border completely. I myself don't care if pot is made legal or not. Either way it won't stop the street sales. Just ask the moonshiners, they'll tell you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join