It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark E Smith, kicked the bucket.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
One of the great rock rebels. You wouldn't know it walking past him on the street as he never dressed flash, but he was one of the most uncompromising and unapologetic people going, relentlessly trod his own path and if you donn't know The Fall, then you bloody should.

Mark E Smith dies

Basic primer:

If you called him a great he'd tell you to knob off, most likely.

edit on 25-1-2018 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Never heard of this man. But he has a fan in you. Thought I'd reply ,seeing how no one else has. Not really my type of music, but to each his own.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Oh ruddy heck....
A northern hero...

He came and watched my band in Manchester in a pub gig and called us "#e"
Chuffin Legend he is.
RIP.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sad news. Seen them multiple times over the years. Glad I had the chance.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The Fall was one of those bands that you knew of only if you were cool enough to know!

I started with the 80's stuff first, then went back to the 70's punk beginnings. They would fade away for a few years then somebody would ask, "Hey, ever hear of these guys?!"

My favorite was the cover of Victoria. Most people probably have heard The Fall but never realized it! Hip Priest being the tune I am thinking of from the Silence of the Lambs soundtrack.

I think I started seeking out The Peel session albums after listening to The Fall one time. Hearing other English post-punk bands and hanging out with my goth friends from school.

My favorite quote about his passing is from NME where they say that every time he would see Morrissey out and about he would greet him with a hearty, "Hello Steven!"

Mark E Smith, I probably wouldn't like you in real life, probably as much as he wouldn't like me (me being a poser and all!), but the music is the thing! Oh you glorious bastard!!

RIP.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Shame, I used to listen to him a lot.

Here's a few of my faves:

edit on 25-1-2018 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

I was on a Fall kick all night when news broke of his death. They weren't a band I could completely love even though there were a bunch of tracks that were great. The two defining songs for me are Ghost in my House and Kimble. Not for being the best Fall tracks ever, but because they were the first I heard back in school days.

To this day I can't see *The Fall* without one or both tracks popping straight in my mind.

top topics

join